Speculation: Shesterkin on contract: I love the team, I love the fans so of course it will be great to stay here. But you never know what’s going to happen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He’s gonna get the $12m if he wants it. It’s just whether it’s gonna be with the Rangers or someone else? Even if he has a crap year, he’ll still get into the 8 figures easy. Teams will look past the bad year.

So there’s really no way around it for the Rangers unless he decides he’s hurting the team and hands them a discount.

Doesn’t sound like that’s in the cards though.

The biggest question might be, do they sign it ASAP, or wait. There’s a better chance that number goes up than down, if they wait. So they probably should lock it up ASAP…

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I think top end goalies should get paid and break records.

That position with the top
6 to 7 guys really are above every other goalie and in my opinion worth it.

If Shesterkin was on the free market I'd pay that man 12 million 7 years no question.
It's the most important position in hockey and the only one really that can win and lose you games.
The whole goalies are voodoo is used by many fans as a reason to keep their cost down is crazy to me.

Sure they might have a few outlier careers but so does every athlete in sports but the top tier of goalies imo should be paid similar to what a top of pairing dman gets.
In this case particular, he's the best player on the rangers, he's their superstar who imo is the reason they win as much as they do and for that reason he deserves to be their highest paid player.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
It's the most important position in hockey and the only one really that can win and lose you games.
The whole goalies are voodoo is used by many fans as a reason to keep their cost down is crazy to me.

Sure they might have a few outlier careers but so does every athlete in sports but the top tier of goalies imo should be paid similar to what a top of pairing dman gets.
In this case particular, he's the best player on the rangers, he's their superstar who imo is the reason they win as much as they do and for that reason he deserves to be their highest paid player.

Honestly I think you are right Shesterkin is there best player.

Even though they have Fox and Panarin both studs. If I could have anyone on that team it would be Shesterkin

Panarin got 11.6 a few years ago. Can't see why Shesterkin shouldn't get more.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Oddly, top goalie contracts haven't really risen as all others have. Since Price and Bob signed their $10M+ contracts 5+ years ago, Hellebuyck, Vasilevsky, Sorokin and Saros have all signed as top of the crop goaltenders, and they all signed for cap hits in the range $7.74M (Saros) to $9.5M (Vasilevsky).

Maybe Shesterkin will break the pattern, but a contract around $12M per would blow the roof off the current status quo. It would be an increase of around 25% over the highest recent goalie contract, and an increase of over 40% more than all other elite goalies in the league in the same age range.

One thing to add - there are fewer goalies than skaters out there. Fewer elite level ones still. Very rarely one hits a UFA market (last one was Bob I guess) and is determined to make top dollar. So the pattern where the pay level gets blown up after some years and then sort of stagnates is probably to be expected.

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021
Not airtight. He’s turned his partial no trade into a no move with how his agent has stated that he wouldn’t report to another team.
i don't care what anyone says, no one is walking away from $16m of guaranteed money by simply not showing up. not to mention the fact that doing so would torpedo your chance of ever securing another multi-million dollar deal for the rest of your life

that being said, i wouldn't trade for him unless the rangers paid me to do so

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
i don't care what anyone says, no one is walking away from $16m of guaranteed money by simply not showing up. not to mention the fact that doing so would torpedo your chance of ever securing another multi-million dollar deal for the rest of your life

that being said, i wouldn't trade for him unless the rangers paid me to do so
He wouldn’t not report, but by the agent taking that posture it pretty much turns the partial no trade into a full no move. To actually file a grievance he’d have to go through with it. Some words in the media or threats with front office talking to his agent doesn’t lose him his money. It just acts as the clause he doesn’t have because no one would want to trade for that problem.

Brad C

Jul 12, 2021

If Shesterkin was on the free market I'd pay that man 12 million 7 years no question.
Most important player on the team

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I think $12 million for any goalie is ridiculous, but if any goalie has the right to ask for a record breaking contract, it's absolutely Shesterkin.

If it gets done, I'm guessing it would be like 8 years at $11 million AAV.
Lol why? He has one Vezina Trophy, and just 3 seasons as a starter under his belt. His numbers have really tapered off too since his Vezina year.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021
He wouldn’t not report, but by the agent taking that posture it pretty much turns the partial no trade into a full no move. To actually file a grievance he’d have to go through with it. Some words in the media or threats with front office talking to his agent doesn’t lose him his money. It just acts as the clause he doesn’t have because no one would want to trade for that problem.
he would report and he would play his ass off for whoever traded for him. not doing so would screw up his next contract. he'll be 32 when his current contract expires, he could earn another $20m before his career is over. whatever his agent said to the media is just b.s. posturing

again, that being said, i wouldn't trade for him unless it was a cap dump situation

theVladiator

May 26, 2018

That's only if the destination team actually wants to play him, and Rangers expect to get something in return, rather than pay somebody to take him on.

If the transaction is a cap dump, the threat is actually an inducement. "Ok, do not report bud, we terminate the contract, and get whatever Rangers paid us to take your sorry ass for nothing"

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
He’ll get it and then we won’t be able to put a good enough team around him and we’ll do to him what we did to hank. Hoping I’m wrong the upcoming season will probably give him a better idea if he wants to stay or not.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lol why? He has one Vezina Trophy, and just 3 seasons as a starter under his belt. His numbers have really tapered off too since his Vezina year.
Not really. You are using one of the best regular seasons against a goalie against him. Of course no one is going to consistently play at that level.

But within the two seasons since he’s played at that level (clearly the best goaltender in the league) for large stretches, including the playoffs both years.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
He’ll get it and then we won’t be able to put a good enough team around him and we’ll do to him what we did to hank. Hoping I’m wrong the upcoming season will probably give him a better idea if he wants to stay or not.

Even if he stays for less than he is worth that doesn't guarantee a cup and it would be funny if he signed for <10m just for the rangers to overpay some other guy.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
That's only if the destination team actually wants to play him, and Rangers expect to get something in return, rather than pay somebody to take him on.

If the transaction is a cap dump, the threat is actually an inducement. "Ok, do not report bud, we terminate the contract, and get whatever Rangers paid us to take your sorry ass for nothing"
Right, but he just turned 30 and with how NHL teams covet big, physical, right handed defensive defenseman then Trouba obviously would have a market and wouldn’t purely be a cap dump, even in the worst possible scenario where he’s cooked and can’t bounce back to any of the good hockey he’s played over the years.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Not really. You are using one of the best regular seasons against a goalie against him. Of course no one is going to consistently play at that level.

But within the two seasons since he’s played at that level (clearly the best goaltender in the league) for large stretches, including the playoffs both years.
He’s been good, not spectacular, in the playoffs since, and about league average in the regular season. That isn’t worth a record breaking contract, which always end up being mistakes, even in the best case scenarios.

I think the era of long term contracts with crazy AAV for goaltenders is over. GMs have learned their lesson. Bobrovski won a Cup with the Panthers, but that contract was still a mistake. Price is an all-time goalie in Habs history, had one of the best years for a goaltender in NHL history, won everything there is to win in hockey besides a Cup, and almost dragged a shit team to glory by himself in ‘21. That contract was still a mistake.

If I were the NYR GM, I’d offer 5 years @ $8.5M AAV, and if he doesn’t like it, tell him to kick rocks. That’s more than generous, imo. Same thing with the Bruins’ situation with Swayman.

I think it’s better to have a decent starter @ $5M-$6M or less on a shorter term deal (5 years or less) than paying for what is overwhelmingly likely to be past performance on a monster contract with crazy term and AAV.

VGK won with a cheaper goalie, COL won with a cheaper goalie, PIT back to back with a cheaper goalie, STL too, CHI won all their Cups with cheap goaltending. That’s the model to follow.

Reactions: spaghtti

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
He’s been good, not spectacular, in the playoffs since, and about league average in the regular season. That isn’t worth a record breaking contract, which always end up being mistakes, even in the best case scenarios.

I think the era of long term contracts with crazy AAV for goaltenders is over. GMs have learned their lesson. Bobrovski won a Cup with the Panthers, but that contract was still a mistake. Price is an all-time goalie in Habs history, had one of the best years for a goaltender in NHL history, won everything there is to win in hockey besides a Cup, and almost dragged a shit team to glory by himself in ‘21. That contract was still a mistake.

If I were the NYR GM, I’d offer 5 years @ $8.5M AAV, and if he doesn’t like it, tell him to kick rocks. That’s more than generous, imo. Same thing with the Bruins’ situation with Swayman.

I think it’s better to have a decent starter @ $5M-$6M or less on a shorter term deal (5 years or less) than paying for what is overwhelmingly likely to be past performance on a monster contract with crazy term and AAV.

VGK won with a cheaper goalie, COL won with a cheaper goalie, PIT back to back with a cheaper goalie, STL too, CHI won all their Cups with cheap goaltending. That’s the model to follow.
Igor Shesterkin has been the best goalie in the playoffs in each of the last 3 years.

As an NJD fan I would be ecstatic to watch Shesterkin leave them. He's been the only thing keeping them even competent in the playoffs.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Igor Shesterkin has 49 GSAx in the playoffs over the last 3 years lmao. Legitimately carried NYR on his back every playoffs.

Will it continue for years to come? Goalies are always tricky, but Igor shesterkin has been the only consistently elite goalie in hockey since he entered the league.

Generational in all 3 playoff runs.
Elite in all 3 regular seasons (with 1 generational season)

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
He vastly outperformed his current deal, so I can see why he'd be aiming so high. Not sure what other options the Rangers really have aside from getting a deal done. They're in the midst of their Cup window - no way they're gonna trade him and he walks via free agency then what's plan B? Maybe hope Ullmark goes UFA as well?

Shesterkin seems to have a ton of leverage here.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Presumably you wouldn't trade for him.

You'd sign him as a UFA. Like the Bobrovsky situation
If the Rangers are willing to lose him for nothing.

Anaheim, Calgary, Columbus, San Jose. Those are the teams able to do it today without having to free up space or very little space.

14 teams next season would need to move $1MM + to make room for him, 18 teams could do it without moving anything.
The asking price if he becomes available will be interesting. How much is one of the best goaltenders in the game worth knowing what his contract demands are?

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Igor Shesterkin has 49 GSAx in the playoffs over the last 3 years lmao. Legitimately carried NYR on his back every playoffs.

Will it continue for years to come? Goalies are always tricky, but Igor shesterkin has been the only consistently elite goalie in hockey since he entered the league.

Generational in all 3 playoff runs.
Elite in all 3 regular seasons (with 1 generational season)
Lmao. This term means nothing anymore. “Generational” in 3 playoff runs, yet no Cups or even finals appearances; imagine that. 😂

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

There is simply far too much demand and nowhere near enough spots to make it worth paying even 10M let alone 12M in most cases. Shesterkin is incredible but is he really 2.5M more than Vasilevskiy or 3.5M more than Hellebuyck? Even if you argue he's better, it's a near negligible difference.

I also sincerely doubt any team will offer him that despite his resume. So unless he can create a bidding war, I don't see him getting 12M

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad