Sherbak/Sekac

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
Not surprising. Most people with as many offers as Sekac had go to a team where he will have a spot opening day.

I'm all for him making the team if he earns it. Guaranteeing a spot for someone unproven is a big departure for this team. Sekac is different because he's older, but if he does make it I'd be shocked if any other rookie forwards do. If they do, then MB is basically saying he's willing to throw this year out the window in order to develop the young talent.

Galch
Gallagher
Bournival
Tinordi
Beaulieu
(Sekac)
All under 22

If he's in that gives us 1/3 of the lineup with less than 2 full years.

Weiss
Eller
Patches
DD
PK
Emelin
Price

All mid 20's and being relied on for veteran leadership. Another 1/3 of the lineup

Prust
Malhotra
Pleks
Bourque
Moen
Parenteau
Markov
Gilbert
Weaver

The Vets, who are supposed to lead the team. Pleks, Moen, Prust and Malhotra are leaders. Parenteau, Weaver and Gilbert are unknown (liked what I saw from Weaver though). Bourque and Moen, as far as I can tell are there simply because they have size. Those are the 2 that might get bumped out of the lineup. Is Sekac ready to play on the 2nd line?

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Sherbak is a 99.9% no

Sekac, has a shot at it. I think its more likely that sekac starts the year in Hamilton, and adjust to the north american game before the habs come calling

Sekac seems to have a good head on his shoulders after listening to him talk. I no longer think that he would become a diva if he were sent down. He will have to earn it just like andrighetto or anyone else looking for a spot.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
NHL14/HF Habs typical. No player with over 2 years of NHL experience is valuable on hf boards. Every rookie is ready and every 30 year old player is waiver or trade bait.

As if they will all make it and that the Habs won't trade anyone.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I hate this stupid provision that can't allow junior-aged players to play in the AHL until their major junior eligibility is over... some major junior draftees would be better served playing in the AHL at this point in their development than staying in major junior.

There are a lot of seriously violent older guys in AHL that can **** you up and ruin your career in one second. They're worse than NHL players for this. Better for talented kids at 19 to gain some strength and smarts before moving to pro at 20.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Sherback - Chenyuk - Sekac
Pax - Eller - De La Rose
Gallagher - ?? - McCaron

McCaron, De La Rose still have a lot to prove before the NHL, not only are they both still 19 years old but nothing in their level of play is enough to take them to the NHL in the next year or two.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I'm all for him making the team if he earns it. Guaranteeing a spot for someone unproven is a big departure for this team. Sekac is different because he's older, but if he does make it I'd be shocked if any other rookie forwards do. If they do, then MB is basically saying he's willing to throw this year out the window in order to develop the young talent.

Galch
Gallagher
Bournival
Tinordi
Beaulieu
(Sekac)
All under 22

If he's in that gives us 1/3 of the lineup with less than 2 full years.

Weiss
Eller
Patches
DD
PK
Emelin
Price

All mid 20's and being relied on for veteran leadership. Another 1/3 of the lineup

Prust
Malhotra
Pleks
Bourque
Moen
Parenteau
Markov
Gilbert
Weaver

The Vets, who are supposed to lead the team. Pleks, Moen, Prust and Malhotra are leaders. Parenteau, Weaver and Gilbert are unknown (liked what I saw from Weaver though). Bourque and Moen, as far as I can tell are there simply because they have size. Those are the 2 that might get bumped out of the lineup. Is Sekac ready to play on the 2nd line?

Think you're not getting used to the new NHL.

1/3 under 22 very good. Testament to Habs drafting, acquisition and development.

1/3 at mid 20's, even better.

1/3 at late twenties and early thirties, fine.

The NHL is a young man's game now.

I blabbed all last year on how Habs were too old, and looks like Bergy thinks so too.

Last edited:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
IMO, from what I've seen and heard from spectators, Sekac clearly has the inside lane for making the team out of camp.

Bergevin already stated publicly that he's prepared to take a step back. Probably a smart strategy to step back after an ECF. You haven't quite got the horses, but you've given the team a taste of success. And given Mr. Molson some extra whee money.

I hope we'll see a forward and a D get promoted from camp. We have a very good promotion record recently, and it's almost a certainty that one or both of Tinordi and Beaulieu can move up. Nygren is the wild card. If he usurps Beaulieu in camp, all bets are off.

Forwards are more sketchy, but anyone of Sekac, Ghetto or JDL might win a spot.

Assuming one D and one F, we have 2 roster players to move, and possibly 2 prospects that can be moved. Can these 4 players get us the Sharp, or the other Kane that might just vault us up after next year?

There are still several teams in Cap Hell that will need to move contracts. Philly, Chicago...We have partners and assets, and can likely keep our picks and possibly add on.

Maybe a little fantastical to some, but I'm optimistic going forward and just throwing out some uber positivity for next season.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Cakes isn't coming over from the KHL to play in Hamilton. As others said, he's here to play for the Habs and it's his spot to lose.

As for Sherbak, outside of the top four or five overall picks, it's very rare for a draft pick to jump immediately to the NHL. Plenty of recent prospects are ahead of him in the queue.
Yeah, I don't see him coming over to play in Hamilton either. A dozen or so other teams were after him, you'd think he'd go to one offering an NHL spot. And let's face it, we need help on the wings very badly.

And on a sidenote, it's encouraging to see a player choosing us over a dozen or so other clubs. Nice job by MB on that one. A much better offseason for our GM this summer than last so far.

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
Think you're not getting used to the new NHL.

1/3 under 22 very good. Testament to Habs drafting, acquisition and development.

1/3 at mid 20's, even better.

1/3 at late twenties and early thirties, fine.

The NHL is a young man's game now.

I blabbed all last year on how Habs were too old, and looks like Bergy thinks so too.

I agree we were too old, and the game is changing to a younger mans game. I'd prefer a paradigm where we have 3-4 players under 22 (2 rookies, 2 sophomores). 4-5 vets in their 30's, and the bulk of the player 23-29 (9-11). This gives us a balance of young players fighting for spots, vets holding down the fort, a healthy core and some role players. Gallagher and Galchenyuk have pressed into the core group. Bourque and Moen are expendable at this point, but IF we replace them with prospects we have to be willing to ride the highs and lows. IMO I'd like to see this because we're 2-3 years away from our real window to compete, and I'd like to see some of the younger players get the experience now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00