Sheldon Keefe out in Toronto

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
He's really not. And no he won't.
I wouldn't be so sure.

Keefe was handed an oddly-constructed core, in his first head coach job in the NHL, in the most demanding market... and he did pretty well under the circumstances.

He's only 43. He'll have a lot of opportunities in the future. If he's smart, he's going to wait a little, learn from this experience and pick a great HC gig.

Reactions: surixon

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The problem with Sheldon is quite frankly he's too nice of a guy.

The problem with the Leafs wasn't Keefe or Dubas; it is Shanahan.

It's interesting because he either built or allowed the Leaf's roster to be built in a very different way than the one he played on when he won Cups. Yes it was a long time ago but a lot of it still applies.

Shanny was an offensive minded left wing who had to drop back in a left-wing lock under Bowman. Defensive responsibility was paramount, as was physical play. And I don't mean fighting or even hitting necessarily. It's about going into corners and hard areas and doing the dirty work.

I don't know if he gave into his desires as a goal scorer in building this team, or didn't reign in bad decisions when he should know better from his experiences as a player.

Reactions: New User Name

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I wouldn't be so sure.

Keefe was handed an oddly-constructed core, in his first head coach job in the NHL, in the most demanding market... and he did pretty well under the circumstances.

He's only 43. He'll have a lot of opportunities in the future. If he's smart, he's going to wait a little, learn from this experience and pick a great HC gig.
He will definitely get another gig, pretty soon too. How much he was able to achieve with that below-average d-corps will take him far. That d-corps isn't getting any younger too.

Last edited:

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
So I have to say this, even though I am a staunch non-Leafs' fan. To say I detest the Leafs under this Shanahan regime would not be overstating the case. I also was not a fan of Dubas (he was the worst of the management bunch) and I did not like Keefe, both in his coaching, his mannerisms, and so forth.

BUT...

I just saw Keefe's thank you and goodbye message. I have to say this. While I wasn't a fan of the guy, I can give proper respect to ANYONE who has the humility to admit that they did not perform to expectations and even failed, as he just did. And doing so without making excuses. That takes courage and humility. This shows me a level of Keefe I have not seen previously and I appreciate what seemed to be his genuine and authentic stating of the facts. Everyone makes mistakes and certainly no one will rub it in to a person who acknowledges their shortcomings. Learn from mistakes and move on.

I found his message to exude class, despite how soon it was done after he was terminated. Whether he knew it was coming or not is irrelevant. He did not have to do that message, but he did and I can applaud him for having the guts to do that. I certainly wish him well in his next endeavour and hopefully he will get another opportunity to coach again under a better management team and a better environment.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
not sure if u remember what the Muskoka 5 were. this is basically the new aged Muskoka 5 except we prob wanna keep atleast 2 of them.

also first of many to go. we will see on Marner or Tavares but they hold all the cards. if they dont wanna leave. they arent leaving unless bought out
Kaberle, McCabe tucker sundin domi? I'm only guessing tho

So I have to say this, even though I am a staunch non-Leafs' fan. To say I detest the Leafs under this Shanahan regime would not be overstating the case. I also was not a fan of Dubas (he was the worst of the management bunch) and I did not like Keefe, both in his coaching, his mannerisms, and so forth.

BUT...

I just saw Keefe's thank you and goodbye message. I have to say this. While I wasn't a fan of the guy, I can give proper respect to ANYONE who has the humility to admit that they did not perform to expectations and even failed, as he just did. And doing so without making excuses. That takes courage and humility. This shows me a level of Keefe I have not seen previously and I appreciate what seemed to be his genuine and authentic stating of the facts. Everyone makes mistakes and certainly no one will rub it in to a person who acknowledges their shortcomings.

I found his message to exude class, despite how soon it was done after he was terminated. Whether he knew it was coming or not is irrelevant. He did not have to do that message, but he did and I can applaud him for having the guts to do that. I certainly wish him well in his next endeavour and hopefully he will get another opportunity to coach again under a better management team and a better environment.
You do understand that he writes a goodbye like that as almost a cover letter for a resume moving forward. It's a small circle/industry.

That being said, it could absolutely also be sincere. Just saying

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
You do understand that he writes a goodbye like that as almost a cover letter for a resume moving forward. It's a small circle/industry.

That being said, it could absolutely also be sincere. Just saying
Well, regardless of intent or motivation (which I don't know), I'll just take it at face value what he said and give him the benefit of the doubt that it was genuine.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
I liked Keefe alright, said some silly things every now and then but I think he was a decent coach. Always easiest to change a coach but you have to think more is coming for this team.
Everyone keeps suggesting this, I really wonder if Shanahan gets to stay, if they aren't going to run the core back with a new coach.

Reactions: MarkWheeler

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Hot take, but I think he was just fine. Never had the bounces in the playoffs, but they were always a contender to get in.

Given the comments he made however, the man knew he was done.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He is the worst coach in the league, a good coach doesn't blow a 3-1 series lead to Montreal.

A good coach doesn't talk about respect in the handshake line.

A good coach doesn't call out his team and then walk back his comments the next day because he's a gutless bitch boy.

Sheldon Keefe did all those things and more.
Good players don't blow 3-1 leads to montreal.

Reactions: Foghorn Leghorn

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It had to happen.

You can also be unhappy with GM or Shanahan if you want, but these were good competitive Leafs teams that should have done better than they have. Maybe you think they're still lacking to go all the way, but the problem here is they cant even win 1 round. A lot of that is on the coach (and players of course, but coach is responsible for his players performing).

New coach was a necessity. Does it stop there? Not sure - I think it does, but either way this was obvious

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
I wouldn't be so sure.

Agreed, His regular season win PCT was impressive. Playoffs the goalie and D become more important, things that the GM failed to amply provide.

Given all the health issues with the core, I thought Keefe actually did a nice job in round 1. Took it to game 7 against the hottest goalie in the NHL.

Your point about his age is important. He's still young and has plenty of room to learn from his past coaching experience. He will definitely have multiple teams making him offers.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Loved the video from him. Seems like a stand up person.

He is being scapegoated a bit but I think it's the right move to find a new coach. Can't have the same voices in the room over so many years of failure.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad