HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
therien-gif.867774
44q2n7U.png

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
The reason people think he's good is simple he's got a great regular season record.

That's what happens when you have the best goal scorer on the planet.

Now he doesn't have that and people are going to find out what we already know.

Sheldon Keefe is the worst coach in the league

Ya, woulda thought Toronto media woulda been on him a bit more I guess- pretty clearly an F1 car driven by Mr. Magoo. Or a better comparison- the warriors made the playoffs under Marc Jackson, I believe, but they knew the roster was better than the results and brought in Steve Kerr and co. The rest is rings, but they made that switch right away. Toronto seemingly missed their window, but we’ll see.

Worst coaching belongs to the Sabres, though, always.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Literally WTF is Keefe supposed to have done differently?
Make adjustments. create mis-matches for Matthews and Marner. Get them more space, and cleaner looks.

Dissect Boston's system and figure out ways to expose it.

You know.. not turn Marner and Matthews into defensive Grinders and be completely shocked when they're not great at it.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Meanwhile the MLSE brass are having money fights in the boardroom throwing stacks of cash at each other LOL'ing at the fanbase for expecting more

7 Million+ local people guaranteeing sellouts and merch sales in perpetuity will do that to you I reckon

Reactions: Pez68

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I still hope he gets traded to Colorado to be with his BFF MacKinnon and we rebuild. Wont happen though.
I have always hoped Crosby stays in Pittsburgh his whole career (and initially I wasn't even close to a Crosby fan, but watching him play over the years, I've gotten to respect the guy's work ethic and play. That said, he deserves so much better than a Dubas dumpster fire of an organizational vision - him going to Colorado would be superb, assuming he takes a pretty sizeable pay cut, but his play is still top shelf level, so I don't see it either.

I can see Keefe in Pittsburgh - Dubas seems to have a way to muscle his desired outcome for the teams he runs. I knew that Babcock's days were numbered once Dubas got the GM reins - Dubas made no secret of his love for Keefe. Similarly once Dubas was told "no thanks" from the Leafs, I told my kids, "watch - Spezza is gonna follow him to Pittsburgh". It is an admirable trait to reward loyalty, but the problem is when loyalty is conflated with favouritism, and clouds one's objective judgment.

I am sure Pittsburgh is going through some soul searching as well due to not making the playoffs, and I am sure it may precipitate the change in coach, since all of the sudden Dubas' buddy Keefe is now conveniently available.

Last edited:

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Interesting that Keefe was fired because Dubas signed Tavares. You can trace a lot of issues back to that point. And other deals.

How did these help Keefe?

Adding Muzzin.
Trading Kadri.
Trading away Dakota Joshua.
Adding David Clarkson.
Trading Trevor Moore for Jack Campbell and Kyle Clifford.
Trading Mason Marchment for Denis Malgin.
Acquiring Galchenyuk.
Adding Nick Foligno for a 1st.
Adding David Rittich.
Adding Ben Hutton.
Adding Matt Murray.
Adding Ryan O'Reilly.
Trading Lafferty.

The Leafs had a core that could take them fairly far. They did awful supplementing that core.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The only active coaches that have been with their current team prior to 2022 are:

-Cooper
-Sullivan
-Bednar
-Brind'Amour

That's crazy.

EDIT: Technically Tourigny too. Took the names from Wikipedia and they reset the number at the end of the regular season because the franchise is moving.

Last edited:
Reactions: Petrus and Zbynek

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
People love to dunk on anything Leafs as being the worst players / people in their roles in the league, and some Leaf fans are never happy and hate everyone as well..

Keefe is a hell of a coach. Still young, has some things to learn but as a fan who has watched every game of the Leafs for a long time he did make significant progress with our roster every season even if he didn't figure out how to get them over the hump come playoffs.

I'll miss him and I think he will do great with another franchise after some time off to recharge the batteries.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Interesting that Keefe was fired because Dubas signed Tavares. You can trace a lot of issues back to that point. And other deals.

How did these help Keefe?

Adding Muzzin.
Trading Kadri.
Trading away Dakota Joshua.
Adding David Clarkson.
Trading Trevor Moore for Jack Campbell and Kyle Clifford.
Trading Mason Marchment for Denis Malgin.
Acquiring Galchenyuk.
Adding Nick Foligno for a 1st.
Adding David Rittich.
Adding Ben Hutton.
Adding Matt Murray.
Adding Ryan O'Reilly.
Trading Lafferty.

The Leafs had a core that could take them fairly far. They did awful supplementing that core.
Good chronology. The biggest mistake was not resigning Hyman. Hyman was going to take a team discount to stay. Hyman has more goals these playoffs 9 to 5 than Matthews, Tavares, Marner, and Nylander combined. He is making 5.5M to 41M and would have taken less than 5.5 to stay in Toronto. Nothing illustrates Dubas' incompetence more than the mismanagement of the Cap, and to not find 500K here or there to keep a stud like Hyman. Lamoriello signed Hyman to 2.1 x 4years. That was a great deal. Shanahan's deserved demise will all trace back to being hoodwinked by a snakeskin salesman GM that Dubas is.

PeE eL DuBoiS

Send ze caviar to mah chambers, peasant
Mar 31, 2022
Good riddance? No. Not good riddance. This riddance is great.

Great riddance.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Make adjustments. create mis-matches for Matthews and Marner. Get them more space, and cleaner looks.

Dissect Boston's system and figure out ways to expose it.

You know.. not turn Marner and Matthews into defensive Grinders and be completely shocked when they're not great at it.

And there lies the problem. There is no space and very few clean looks in the playoffs, period. The big forwards on the team dont have the mentality or the guts to go take a hit to make a play or pay the price to score playoff goals.

Its a roster issue, not a coaching one

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Keefe will do well with another team.

I had quite a few gripes with his process by the end. The collective staff couldn’t even figure out special teams with the players they had at their disposal which showed a lack of ability to adjust.

But at the end of the day he did a lot with a group that was torn apart by a certain GM. It’s not his fault that management couldn’t assemble a competent back end in all these years. Or that goaltending was such a problem for so long. Or that good young assets were squandered in favour of big signings.

Next coach is going to have a heavy weight on their shoulders if whoever is running this team can’t decide on the right direction.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
That sucks. I really don’t want to see the leafs make too many smart descisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad