Sheldon Keefe out in Toronto

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
I would have thought the assistant coaches for special teams would have gone first.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Can you trust Treliving to make a good coaching hire? His track record includes Glen Gulutzan, Bill Peters, and Daryl Sutter. He also extended Keefe just 9 months ago.

Reactions: BWJM

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Should've been fired after the "respect in that line" comment. Leafs core needed a hard ass and he was too soft.

In his 4.5 years here they failed to qualify for the playoffs his first year, lost 3 times in the 1st round, and got their ass kicked in the 2nd round once.

Just the first of many moves made by the Leafs this off-season.
Keefe and one of the "Core Four" should have been publicly executed following the Montreal Debacle. Now it's just too late.

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
Culture in TO is just so weird. Even tho the stars are good (great even) seems like they're running the show so much cause they think they're gods in earth. Definitely could use a coach that could humble them, but I feel like they'd all take it the wrong way at this point seeing as how sick they obviously think they all are.
A coaching change isn't enough. Watching these round 2 games and how violent and mean-spirited they are, the core 4 are not contenders for anything. They are not built to win, they don't have the personnel to play the game the way the second round is showing it needs to be played. The Shanaplan is a failure, and any "retool" to remake the team in a way that can play the games the way they need to be played is just a waste of everyone's time. It needs a rebuild.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Can you trust Treliving to make a good coaching hire? His track record includes Glen Gulutzan, Bill Peters, and Daryl Sutter. He also extended Keefe just 9 months ago.

Didn't it come out that Ownership wanted Sutter?

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
Haven't liked him since all or nothing during covid. He doesn't seem to bring unity and it's definitely time for a new voice. Berube is not the answer though

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Literally WTF is Keefe supposed to have done differently? Who I am kidding, this is prob on the level of a mercy killing for him.
It’s more than the coach.
But if you think the home record and special teams in the playoffs aren’t on the staff. You’re delusional.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Excellent regular season coach. I liked him more than any coach the Leafs have had since Quinn. But the guy can't get it going in the playoffs, at least not with a roster constructed like that. I wish him all the best but it was time to move on.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I wouldn't trust Treliving to make toast. Terrible hire.

Reactions: Mosby

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I'm not saying he was blameless, but the guy was saddled with one mediocre veteran goalie, one promising rookie goalie who can't handle a heavy workload and a D-corps with one legit top-3 Dman (you can argue about some of the others, but Rielly is the only I consider a top-3 lock on any team).

He also had some bad luck with both of the team's top players missing significant time in the Bruins series.

The team is poorly constructed with too many resources committed to its forwards. That's not on Keefe.

Reactions: stampedingviking

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yep.

Shanahan is apparently going to be sitting with the CEO & GM tomorrow. Meaning, he is keeping his job.

Question is...why?

Carlyle
That interim
Babcock
Keefe
Dubas
Lou
Nonis

Have all been fired or resigned on his watch. At some point, he needs to face consequences.
I recall what Chelios said about Shanahan. Don't think he thinks too highly of him. Shanahan is a politician. Even Politicians run their course. Really he effed up when he took on Dubas. The organization was on the verge of doing something special. But Dubas/Shanahan were a disaster in terms of contracts, culture, the sense of entitlement that perforated this team, to the Dubas effects of losing key character players. I will just name 2 Hyman and Kadri. Heck I was watching last night, and the first 2 players that scored in the Edmonton - Vancouver game were Dubas players let go. Hyman and Dakota Joshua. The guy is just full of bad player calls. But Shanahan should be accountable. This mess is his baby that the Dubas hiring created. Dubas hired Keefe.

Reactions: stampedingviking

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Not saying I disagree with the firing but He’s gotta have one of the best winning percentage of any fired coach. Anyone know where to find a stat on that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad