Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I could see them being tempted to run it back because the following season JT comes off the books and there's your natural rebalance of salary from F to D. Losing Marner this year and JT next year is kind've a scary thought.
Keeping someone because you’re scared is not a reason to keep them.
Marner needs to be moved. No interest in paying him the 12 + million he’s going to want next year. The chemistry needs to change, the salary structure and the culture. Plus fail again the 1st round with a run it back and nothing will be trusted.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Anyone worrying about this being a (seemingly) quick process needs to relax.

This search did not start the day Keefe was fired. As soon as they had an inkling that he might be, they started looking at candidates. Once he was fired, they narrowed names to a short list, leaving open the possibility that a currently employed coach (ie. Cooper) might be fired and become available, and then they started the interview process with the people on their short list.

This process has been going on for weeks, not days. If they hire Berube, it will be because they did their due diligence on him and decided he was the best fit for the position.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Don't know what they see in Todd McLellan (other than a pretty enviable hairline).
I want no part of a coach who couldn't win with McDavid. Let's hope they look a bit deeper than him.

Anyone worrying about this being a (seemingly) quick process needs to relax.

This search did not start the day Keefe was fired. As soon as they had an inkling that he might be, they started looking at candidates. Once he was fired, they narrowed names to a short list, leaving open the possibility that a currently employed coach (ie. Cooper) might be fired and become available, and then they started the interview process with the people on their short list.

This process has been going on for weeks, not days. If they hire Berube, it will be because they did their due diligence on him and decided he was the best fit for the position.
I'm not really sure how long people are wanting them to look for? I get wanting to interview more than 2 guys but this is a relatively tight knit community so it shouldn't exactly be a long, drawn out process.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Couldn't tell you what Toronto see's in McLellan. Had a good go in SJ, but couldn't get that team over the hump and his days in Edmonton and LA were rough. Wouldn't be my first or second choice.

I don't see what's special about Berube either, I guess Toronto is looking for a coach again that's going to hold them accountable? The coaching market is pretty slim pickings right now, but I can see why Toronto doesn't want to wait to see what happens with RBA.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
I want no part of a coach who couldn't win with McDavid. Let's hope they look a bit deeper than him.

I'm not really sure how long people are wanting them to look for? I get wanting to interview more than 2 guys but this is a relatively tight knit community so it shouldn't exactly be a long, drawn out process.
I am just concerned at the lack of casting a wide net in terms of interviews. It seems as if we are zeroing in someone before the process has even begun and not really considering any other candidates. This was the case with Keefe, Treliving, and now it appears to be the same with Berube.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
This coaching change will make little difference
I think it will. Keefe was pretty weak at attention to detail, deploying different looks, and getting the team prepared to play. Pissed away far too many points.

He said it himself, teams know to lay back and wait for the Leafs to beat themselves with their mistakes.

Reactions: Buds17

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
^ beat me to it
Screenshot_2024-05-13-15-31-48~2.png

I think it makes a lot of sense. The media can't second guess and disparage a proven cup winner. Might give us the inside edge on resigning Edmundson as well.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think it will. Keefe was pretty weak at attention to detail, deploying different looks, and getting the team prepared to play. Pissed away far too many points.

He said it himself, teams know to lay back and wait for the Leafs to beat themselves with their mistakes.
Strangely, those who know coaching say Keefe's attention to details are great.

Speak to the Leafs players, and they'll bring up his attention to detail, intense pre-scouts of the opposition and emphasis on the positive. Veteran Ryan Reaves was blown away by how aggressive a training camp Keefe ran, and Reaves has endured his share.

We shall see if player personnel or a coaching change makes much of a difference... I think it's been more players.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If we’re going the Berube route we need to get bigger and faster on the wing or his forecheck will fizzle out. St Louis had Tarasenko, Perron, Schenn, Sundqvist, Barbashev, Maroon up front. The smallest of those is Perron at 6’0 200 and other than Maroon they can all skate. There’s not a bad shooter among them either, when they win the puck there’s always a shooting threat to feed it to.

Knies fits, McMann might, but that’s about it. Imo Bert’s too slow and not a big enough hitter for the job. Getting the forecheck right is a bigger deal than spending on premium D and G for me, if they can nail it then it takes pressure off the D needing to have puck moving skills and you can go cheaper on big cavemen + Zadorov to give us an option on the PP.

If you half ass it and have one kind of good forechecking line, a 3mil checker with Tavares and Jarnkrok, and whatever the 6-7mil 2nd pairing D of the week is you’re shooting yourself in the foot.

I’m tired of every player being looked at through the lens of balance, the priority should be being AINEC the best at something and finding cost effective ways to hide the warts.

Reactions: Jmo89

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I am just concerned at the lack of casting a wide net in terms of interviews. It seems as if we are zeroing in someone before the process has even begun and not really considering any other candidates. This was the case with Keefe, Treliving, and now it appears to be the same with Berube.

Your post is predicated on the naive and erroneous belief that they started their search when they fired Keefe. They didn't, they would have been narrowing down candidates long before that.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I'm at a loss with people wanting Bertuzzi back. He only scored 20 goals playing on the second highest scoring team in the league, and he took more dumb or careless penalties than I can count. If he came back on another one year deal at a cheaper cost, sure, go for it, but I assume he wants the same or more money and more term.

Just appreciated his fight to go to the dirty areas all the time. Want more guys like him not less. But the contract could be ugly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad