Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Agreed “best coach,” “proven winner,” but morally corrupt to turn a blind eye to what went on in Chicago. There’s no right way to do the wrong thing………”

He didn’t turn a blind eye, he was told by his boss that they were aware and would do the right thing.

Why didn’t Patrick Kane do his own investigation or call the cops himself? See how ridiculous that expectation is?

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
id be happy with Gallant, Q, or Berube, think all 3 would be a good hire
I just want a coach who's reaction to things clearly not working isn't a shrug and "Let's keep trying!"...

I want a coach who would have changed the power play personnel before it failed in the playoffs.. Again. One who's defensive gameplan isn't "scramble around and hope you can get it out". One that actually knows how to use a player like Bertuzzi (watch how Florida screens Swayman vs. what Keefe was trying to do; there's more to it than "just stand in front of the net").

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Sheldon Keefe couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag and it made me sick to my stomach knowing this guy would get outcoached by everyone every time.

Leafs deserved so much better than Soo Management level abilities to coach and manage this team.

Took him 5 years to come up with the simply idea of putting each one of your $11 mil players on different lines to spread the wealth and build a strong TOP 9 and not all you eggs in top 6 basket. That said it was like Treliving that told Keefe to get his head out of his ass and suggested he try it.
He set time in ice by salary, not effectiveness.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Shanahan would have discussed this with Treliving when he interviewed him and probably wouldn’t have hired him if they weren’t on the same page.
Firing Keefe would have been Trelivings decision but like any major move there would be input from others in manageme
Shanahan would have discussed this with Treliving when he interviewed him and probably wouldn’t have hired him if they weren’t on the same page.
Firing Keefe would have been Trelivings decision but like any major move there would be input from others in management.
After mulling it over, maybe you’re right, maybe Tre believes in this core as much as Shanahan. So when whatever more changes happen, like if both Shanahan and Tre are fired, then one could assume that Tre must have also believed in the core, or the same if both stay. And since all three will be there tomorrow, it seems they’ll both be back!

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Based on above I forgot about Dave Hakstol.

He might be a good coach to try. In Seattle, the team is actually rock solid defensively allow few shots per game. What they lacked were consistent star scoring and had roller coaster hot and cold goalies.

Leafs have the scoring talent. And I'd say Sammy/Woll is better than what Seattle has. If Hakstol can improve the defensive play of Leafs that would be a big boost right away. Kraken scored like shit this year, but last year scored well with a shotgun of nonames scoring. Maybe he can unlock core 4 playoff scoring. Hey, they took down Avs last year.
I think Hakstol might be the best guy available. He just doesn't have the name brand that Berube does, and he doesn't have the same good old boy vibe that Berube has.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Agreed, it was Shanny that claimed the Core 4 were being run back ,well before he hired Treliving.

BT took the GM job knowing his boss already set that table for him. Perhaps now that is has failed again, finally the President's 10 year "Shanaplan" can be set on fire and then buried 10 feet underground.

Getting rid on Keefe was a no brainer, he wouldn't even be in the NHL if his BFF hadn't brought him in from the Soo. BT most like kept Keefe for exactly this reason fully knowing the core 4 would fail and then he needed a front line scapegoat to remove by playing the fire the coach move, before now he can try and fix a flawed President's plan.

If we thought Leafs soft core 4 didn't fit playing the Keefe style of hockey, then none of those 4 are going to like the big, heavy, physical hockey Leafs next coach is likely to deploy.
I wonder if Shanahan has called the core this year and said they weren’t going anywhere.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Marner has to go too, there needs to be more drastic changes to make a difference
Marner needs a nice quiet hockey market where his anxiety and media social awkwardness can be kept low key. Where the media is more concerned what you had for dinner and where you spend your summer than 24/7 hockey.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
No. I just don't buy that. Dubas was going to be extended. It wasn't until Dubas overplayed his hand: he wanted more executive powers & leveraged PIT offer/family hardship. There is no way that there was a difference of philosophy.
No, Dubas said at the press conference that he was open to changing the core. So are you telling me that doesn’t make more sense since Shanahan fired him after that. It certainly makes perfect sense to me.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He set time in ice by salary, not effectiveness.

100%

Nylander had the highest cap of any forward hit with $6.9 million therefore he got the most ice time.

Knies at 925k had the 7th highest of the forwards.

The only place he messed up was Reaves had the least amount of ice-time... must have overpaid him.

Reactions: WillNy29

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I don't think you understand my point.

Multiple people can have the same viewpoints. It's common for people with similar viewpoints and philosophies to work together.

I'm sure Shanny wanted to keep the core. I'm also sure he'd be drawn to people of a similar mindset in his GM search.
Actually that makes a lot of sense now. And it will make more sense if they both are brought back next season, which seems very likely to happen since all three will be there tomorrow at the press conference.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Its been 3 years with Q. I understand the situation but the higher ups were taking care of this. And he admitted he should have been handled better in totatiity but again this was a serious issue and usually these things aare handled by management. He is not management.

Isn't there second chances in life?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
"You need to spread out your talent!!!!!!"

View attachment 867998

View attachment 868000

View attachment 868001

At this point, I think we might be one of the only teams who tried to spread out their offensive lines.

You are misinformed about how most teams run their lineups... that is the kindest way I can say this.

This is the most kindest way I can show this too

Reactions: Cleetus

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
No, Dubas said at the press conference that he was open to changing the core. So are you telling me that doesn’t make more sense since Shanahan fired him after that. It certainly makes perfect sense to me.
He was never transparent in the end, and certainly not honest. He used his wife/kid as pawns in a negotiation. Why are you twisting history? It did not play out like that.

Reactions: myleafs

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
This is the most kindest way I can show this too

Always good to see some recent history to prove that having a skilled offensive 3rd line will work.

The 2023 Champion Penguins were a beast.

Seriously though, most NHL teams are top-heavy and roll 2 really good lines.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I just want a coach who's reaction to things clearly not working isn't a shrug and "Let's keep trying!"...

I want a coach who would have changed the power play personnel before it failed in the playoffs.. Again. One who's defensive gameplan isn't "scramble around and hope you can get it out". One that actually knows how to use a player like Bertuzzi (watch how Florida screens Swayman vs. what Keefe was trying to do; there's more to it than "just stand in front of the net").

Maurice saying neutral zone systems are different -> respect that

telling marner took a lot of heat -> yea f*** off maurice. Marner has been absolutely SHIT for 8 years, its not just that play, its pent up frustration by the fanbase

Reactions: Cleetus

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
He seemed like a nice guy and I wish him well. Loved the defensive zone structure he gave us, but the offense + special teams left a lot to be desired year over year

Would love for us to hire Woodcroft, not a huge Berube fan tbh,

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Agreed, it was Shanny that claimed the Core 4 were being run back ,well before he hired Treliving.

BT took the GM job knowing his boss already set that table for him. Perhaps now that it has failed again, finally the President's 10 year "Shanaplan" can be set on fire and then buried 10 feet underground.

Getting rid on Keefe was a no brainer, he wouldn't even be in the NHL if his BFF hadn't brought him in from the Soo. BT most like kept Keefe for exactly this reason fully knowing the core 4 would fail and then he needed a front line scapegoat to remove by playing the fire the coach move, before now he can try and fix a flawed President's plan.

If we thought Leafs soft core 4 didn't fit playing the Keefe style of hockey, then none of those 4 are going to like the big, heavy, physical hockey Leafs next coach is likely to deploy.
But there is a difference between playing physical or gooning it up. Marner goes out of his way to avoid contact. Nylander almost does the same, although if I remember correctly, he did lay a nice hit in game 7. Matthews isn’t afraid to take or make a hit. He has shown a lot of improvement. But after what Pastrnak did last night by fighting Tkachuk, plus his comments post game, I don’t believe any of our core would EVER do that! And that is not right!

Last edited by a moderator:

Albz

Jun 30, 2018
I want any coach that this hfboard doesn't want honestly.... everyone here wanted Keefe, dubas, shanny and look how they turned out.. oh and Babcock, remember the hype on here..... fans are so dam clueless ... so hope we get someone that ppl here Don't want

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Yea it's tough to live on 100K a month
There are only a handful of nhl coaching gigs, and only a few that get to do it for the long term.
Good thing he still gets paid for the next 2 years then
Some would call that severance, and I’m sure you’d want one if you were let go.
I always want incompetent people to get fired. As a matter of fact, I have fired some.

This Participation Trophy mentality needs to stop.
spoken like a brutal manager that most people don’t want to work for. if you have to keep firing incompetent employees the problem is you. Incompetent employees are poor hiring decisions.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad