Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Finally, I won't have to make fire Keefe posts!

Good guy but that doesn't mean much when you do nothing in the playoffs. The team is going to get a new voice and that will be a step in the right direction but it's important to make the right hire. Berube and Gallant are interesting names. I wouldn't go anywhere near a Woodcroft or McLellan.

I would check out the Brind'Amour situation too. Maybe reach out to his agent and see whether or not he's intrigued by the opportunity.

Let's just hope this is not a one-step solution for the Leafs management. A simple coaching change is not enough.
I agree. It ultimately comes down to how much control Keefe had in making final decisions like being able to hold all players accountable such as reduced ice time or being a healthy scratch if not playing well, who plays on the PP, making changes to the PP when it obviously isn’t working. This makes me wonder why there have been too many times in the playoffs when the players weren’t “ready to start on time” or were playing like they were disinterested in the game.

One thing I do not blame Keefe for is how they NEVER would put any of the blame for playoff or series losses squarely on their shoulders. You cannot tell me that was not coming directly from Shanahan, thus the feeling of entitlement that has followed them right from the start.

Reactions: Eternal Leaf

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Yeah I'd prefer Brindamour. I secretly wish for Torts though lol. This franchise could use a shake up like that.

Torts, Brindamour, even Boudreau, just get someone who leans aggressively into some sort of identity instead of more of the generic safe vanilla stuff we’ve been doing.

I know the meme is that you need to win 2-1 games in the playoffs but all the big contenders everyone wants to emulate are playing fast aggressive games, taking risks, and putting up 3+ goals almost every game.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Meh, scapegoat.

Hands are tied cause of egregious cap management and a poorly built roster, this is realistically the only move to be made (other than firing Shanahan, which should be done).

Next year is basically already a write off unless they get the balls to move on from Marner.
Unless?

This team needs more than 1 trade. Remember the previous discussions about them not being close. They can't even win 1 round most years. How could there possibly be that much improvement moving Marner?

I understand your sentiment, but it's really overly optimistic to think that now that Keefe/Marner are moved that there will be so much cup winning.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Maybe he and George Parros are buddies? Both former goons. Maybe we get a better deal from the DOPS? What with Shanahan's connections and Berube, we should be golden with the DOPS.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
I still can't believe I'm reading this thread title.

Such a good day...
giphy.gif

• Love
Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Dean Evanson had a career .639 points% as a coach with the Wild. Cooper has a .640 points% as coach of the Lightining.

I'd kinda like to see what Evason could do with some superstars.
Evanson is the scray looking dude right?
He's one of my choices that's available.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
^^
I don't care how much worse on paper we might be. Build hard working team culture like they have in Boston around Matthews and Nylander. We'll be a true contender.
no argument from me............

Hopefully Pelley is not as blind as Shanny. Will be interesting to watch Shanny with his tail between his legs tomorrow. I dare him to say, "we will win with this core" again.
he should have to be wearing a dunce cap and stay mute..........

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog and socko

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Samsonov did not necessarily have to be the starter in any game of that playoff series other than the deciding one. I'd still unfortunately maintain that a lack of offence was the biggest detriment to the team's inability to win and advance. Can a coaching change coax something more out of the players in that regard?
No, the defintion of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Once again the Leafs look at things backwards.What if Woll started based on Samsonovs horrible playoff numbers? Any math, above grade 4, could spot the weakness. We let in too many soft goals while they kept out some hard ones. We always say if we just had more offense... Its if we just played defense and had a goalie. The Dubas model is broken. You dont outscore the opposition, you let less goals in. Switch Swayman and Samsonov. Leafs win that series easy. Samsonov was never the answer. You keep saying if we just scored 2 more per game. Its if we just didnt let in one softie per game. Samsonov will never win you a cup ever. 6 and 14 with a .894 save percentage. The Leafs got outplayed in goal. Their defense isnt even average. But you want to outscore the other guy?! Wrong outlook. The Leafs playoff record proves that. You need to win games 2 to 1 in OT. That means keep goals out.

Last edited:

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Praying that Coach Q will be introduced tomorrow during the press conference!
Not a chance that organization does this, one positive about this move is you know what users to mute when they make this suggestion. Quennville rightfully should never coach again. Full stop

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Unless?

This team needs more than 1 trade. Remember the previous discussions about them not being close. They can't even win 1 round most years. How could there possibly be that much improvement moving Marner?

I understand your sentiment, but it's really overly optimistic to think that now that Keefe/Marner are moved that there will be so much cup winning.
Moving Marner could reap three harder nosed players with his cap hit. Moving him is huge.

The core isn;t working. The idea that somehow all 5 should stick together as if they run the team is bloody embarrassing, They should keep maybe two.

The Leafs actually reflect poorly on the city. "The boring city with no heart". Nice.

Reactions: Al14

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Babcock would bench them. That's why their ice times were so much lower under Babcock than Keefe. Even in the playoffs he'd bench them if they wouldn't play the way he thought would lead to success in the playoffs. Leaf fans all complained about the ice time and threw tantrums. EVeryone here was screaming "PLAY THE STARS!!!!!!" Go look back at how furious leaf fans were about the ice time Babcock was giving the core players. The entitled and selfish core players were clearly frustrated about it. But I guarantee Babcock was 100% certain that they'd have to buy into these systems or they'd never succeed in the playoffs. He was right.

So the Leafs put in a coach who gave the fans and the players precisely what they wanted. And look how well that went...

The reason Babcock didn't succeed was because he couldn't get the players to buy in. That's on him to a degree I suppose. Keefe wasn't able to succeed because he catered to the wants and needs of hte core players and refused to hold them accountable. Hence the (lol) "apologies" after he calls them out.
why I want a no nonsense coach, they'll bet to be traded..........

Reactions: Throw More Waffles

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Are there any reporters following Coach Q around today, ie checking flights in from wherever he lives, contacting people that know him, restaurant reservations downtown, etc like when the Jays were frontrunners for Ohtani ?? :cool:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Torts, Brindamour, even Boudreau, just get someone who leans aggressively into some sort of identity instead of more of the generic safe vanilla stuff we’ve been doing.

I know the meme is that you need to win 2-1 games in the playoffs but all the big contenders everyone wants to emulate are playing fast aggressive games, taking risks, and putting up 3+ goals almost every game.
Having to win that odd game in the playoffs by a score of 2-1 isn't altogether problematic. What does become problematic is having to win three out of four games in a series by a margin of 2-1 or 1-0 because that is all of the offence the team can muster.

Last edited:

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
As with most here, I didn’t have a problem with keefe and think he’s actually a decent coach, but recognize that it’s definitely time to move on and have a different voice. Now for the real heavy lifting and change up at least one if not two of the big guys that coach talks to in the room

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Are there any reporters following Coach Q around today, ie checking flights in from wherever he lives, contacting people that know him, restaurant reservations downtown, etc like when the Jays were frontrunners for Ohtani ?? :cool:
Last seen he was writing employment recommendations for sexual predators

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad