Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
True, and may indeed be worth the gamble given the teams.currenr circumstances, but...

the problem is if he doesn't click it's essentially throwing away the next couple years
That could happen with anyone they brought in.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I'm genuinely curious, do people think that putting more pressure on the team and treating them worse will lead to more success?

Also, do people think free agents will want to come here more if we treat our current players worse?

I see no benefit to making our current players uncomfortable.
Because coddling them and caving to every demand has worked so well these last 5 years?

When proven winners like ROR and Schenn are running away after 2 months with this group, you know there's a problem.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
The issue with Gallant for me is that he seems to get figured out after a year or two and then his teams quit on him.
That goes all the way back to Gerry's playing career. Lacked creativity. There was never any doubt if he was going to shoot the puck. He was.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
People who think he is a terrible coach IMO have bad opinions about hockey. But it was time to make some changes.

If we don't change the core this move makes no sense though

Reactions: The Iceman

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I'm genuinely curious, do people think that putting more pressure on the team and treating them worse will lead to more success?

Also, do people think free agents will want to come here more if we treat our current players worse?

I see no benefit to making our current players uncomfortable.
I don't believe that is the idea. But it certainly feels like they need to take some responsibility and ownership of their failures. The only one who provided sane comments were Rielly and Keefe.

A lot of their comments were asinine, regarding being right there or close. A new voice needs to set them straight. Someone who can see through the bullshit.

I don't believe anyone needs to be angry, or a yeller or any of that... but we need someone who will hold the players accountable for their play, game in, game out to build to a peak in the playoffs.

I think Keefe without Dubas might have been able to do that... but he was neutered from the start.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I agree completely.

Bluntly: 'this is the 3rd person whose job you've cost. Thoughts?"

Knowing this media though, and the sorts of embarrassing questions asked on Monday, I highly doubt anyone would be willing to ask anything that makes anyone remotely uncomfortable or building up of a sweat
Yup. The so-called "toxic" Toronto media would be asking hard hitting questions like "Hey Mitch how's your new puppy" or "Matty, what's your favourite ice cream and where did you get that fabulous man purse"...

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
People who think he is a terrible coach IMO have bad opinions about hockey. But it was time to make some changes.

If we don't change the core this move makes no sense though
Nobody in the league moves on from great players before a coach. It makes all the sense in the world.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
If that is true and the candidates are Berube, Todd McClellan or Jay Woodcroft none of these coaches are better than Keefe. Disappointed.

HogTown06

Jul 20, 2012
Hammonds Plains
Classy exit indeed. It was never about Keefe the person though and 100% about Keefe the coach.

Truth is he was often out-coached and had some downright crazy ideas for line-ups at times.

Also wishing him all the best but can't say I'm sad he's gone and we'll get a clean slated coachwise.

Ps: Looks like a beautiful sunny day in Toronto.

Reactions: LeafSteel and QJo

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It went to arbitration.

You've been wrong for 8 years. Lol

He was busy letting Hyman walk so he could lock up campbell. 😆

How did they get to arbitration?

Washington didn't extend a qualifying offer, therefore he never had the chance to go to arbitration.

Want to find in the CBA where a player can force a team to sign them through arbitration without extending a qualifying offer?

If it exists, it is news to me, but Treliving extended a QO, and Samsanov didn't accept it, so it led to arbitration.

Not sure if this is just too complex or you are this ignorant, but you are wrong.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I agree completely.

Bluntly: 'this is the 3rd person whose job you've cost. Thoughts?"

Knowing this media though, and the sorts of embarrassing questions asked on Monday, I highly doubt anyone would be willing to ask anything that makes anyone remotely uncomfortable or building up of a sweat
Sadly, the only person who would ask that is Simmons. And he would be shunned by the MLSE cronies who act like actual reporters (some of them are actually pretty good lol). How can you honestly report on a team when you are employed by the team's owners? So we have the Star and the Sun and some independents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad