Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Tre could be gone next year. We want the best coach money can buy, whether he gets along with Tre isnt the issue. Tre s job is to hire the very best period. This is Toronto, money isnt the issue.
Agreed but if they did not hire Gallant last year, odds are he is not being hired now. We'll see.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
He received an extra two years when Brad came in, he can;t complain from that respect.

Brad would have done him a major solid though if he had traded certain players when he first arrived...

How Shanny survives this...well...that's The Leafs!

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Marner can't come out to the press and say he would accept a trade. That lowers his bargaining power.

If Marner wants the 8th year (Very important in his age 35 year) he needs to work with management.
LOL the guy is from Toronto. His Wife is from Toronto. He grew up a Leafs fan.
But sure it’s all a ruse to build trade value when really why would he care about that.

Last time he was a free agent (restricted) he was willing to play the year out and test free agency. And his agent has shown willingness to do it with other clients.

You guys are living in a fantasy land if you think he is accepting a trade to a bottom feeder that we will get a bunch of great assets from.
If he gets traded it’s to a team that made the playoffs this year with some reasonable aspirations of winning and we are all going to hate the return

Not if you ask and get permission.
True. Do you think Tampa is going to give us that?

Reactions: bax

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
It's the bare minimum they could have done.

So it is a start, and I feel you. But the changes needed are much deeper than just a coach, 50 million on forwards that can't produce more than 2 goals a game in the playoffs simply cannot exist anymore.

So we shall see what the plan truly is, I'd like a defensive approach, a take no prisoners ironclad system.
I don't understand people feeling this single move will be a difference maker?

Clearly something has to happen with the core before this team is able to do any damage in the playoffs.

8 years. 2 different coaches. Many different support players. Same core. Same results.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Shanahan has been in charge since 2014, and in that time, he has fired 4 coaches and 3 GMs. Culture change starts at the top, and if he had even the slightest shred of professional integrity (which he doesn’t), he’d resign immediately.
I'll be pissed off if he doesn't get down the door.

Keefe was more important... But this origination needs to show it's staff consequences for ducking up

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
You wanted your nice guy.. And it was a train wreck. So grab a seat and let ppl that know stuff about hockey have a run at it. Lol
What the hell are you going on about lol? I was angry when Babcock got fired, I was the one who even started a 'Thank You' thread:

I am happy Keefe is gone, but if you can't see that Babcock is a toxic asshole that nobody at all likes after everything that has come out since that time then I don't know what to tell you. Have you ever heard of a coach who got hired then fired before training camp even began, because he turned off players that much?

Reactions: bax and yubbers

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Zero excuse for what keefe did with this team. He was literally handed a gift and managed to make it fail.

Thankfully.. The Dubas chapter is officially over. What a f***ing disaster. We tried to tell y'all but you wanted nice guys

No coach and GM have done less with more than Bozo the Keefe and Kyle Dumbass.

Handing that incompetent gimp from Brock Community College to be the GM was the WORST move this franchise has ever made.

Lamoriello or Mark Hunter would NEVER have hired such a useless coach like Bozo the Keefe.

Reactions: yubbers and ToneDog

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Just wish Keefe bag-skated this team even ONCE during his time here. I never read a story of him cracking the whip after they came up with a Tuesday night snore-fest where they'd lose to the league's worst teams 5-1 or whatnot.

He should've used that tactic at least once a year on this group of softies.

Also, he never should've taken back criticism of his team because of the shambles in their heads. He should've doubled down on it if anything

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
I'm actually kind of surprised Keefe got fired since the team gave him a 2 year extension before the season started taking him to 2026. So they liked him. So just one year later, they dont like him already?

Although maybe they had to do it now to get Berube since it seems everyone (including sports radio) think he's the one.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Just wish Keefe bag-skated this team even ONCE during his time here. I never read a story of him cracking the whip after they came up with a Tuesday night snore-fest where they'd lose to the league's worst teams 5-1 or whatnot.

He should've used that tactic at least once a year on this group of softies.

Also, he never should've taken back criticism of his team because of the shambles in their heads. He should've doubled down on it if anything
I suspect he wasn't allowed to.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
LOL the guy is from Toronto. His Wife is from Toronto. He grew up a Leafs fan.
But sure it’s all a ruse to build trade value when really why would he care about that.

Last time he was a free agent (restricted) he was willing to play the year out and test free agency. And his agent has shown willingness to do it with other clients.

You guys are living in a fantasy land if you think he is accepting a trade to a bottom feeder that we will get a bunch of great assets from.
If he gets traded it’s to a team that made the playoffs this year with some reasonable aspirations of winning and we are all going to hate the return
I don't care where he goes or what we get back. All that matters is that we can reallocate the 11 million dollars. We are losing every Marner trade. Period. And, if he wants to walk into RFA status, so be it. We still get the 11 million, albeit a year later.

Agree with you, he wants to be here. I have never questioned his desire to win and win here. But we don't need him to do that imo. He is more of a hindrance than anything, especially in the playoffs.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I don't understand people feeling this single move will be a difference maker?

Clearly something has to happen with the core before this team is able to do any damage in the playoffs.

8 years. 2 different coaches. Many different support players. Same core. Same results.
Dubas and keefe making this team a safe space is what screwed us. Now the boys get to deal with a hard ass.
What the hell are you going on about lol? I was angry when Babcock got fired, I was the one who even started a 'Thank You' thread:

I am happy Keefe is gone, but if you can't see that Babcock is a toxic asshole that nobody at all likes after everything that has come out since that time then I don't know what to tell you. Have you ever heard of a coach who got hired then fired before training camp even began, because he turned off players that much?
If you didn't line the Babs firing... Gratz

I assumed you were supportive of it. It was the beginning of the end for this team

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
I was a fan of Keefer.....but its time for a change. Players tune out the coaches after awhile.

Personally his biggest downfall was his assistants this year. PP wasnt good in playoffs. PK was bad all year. They switched defensive schemes....none of them panned out.

The new coach will have the same issues with our lineup. Hard to win in this league without a legit goalie.

We need a puck moving defenceman....Klingberg (sp?) wasnt the answer as we all know and a terrible signing by Tre. Reaves offers nothing and we still have him for 2 yrs. Interesting we played better when he was out of the lineup. I guess his intimidation doesnt work in the playoffs. You still have to be able to play hockey.

We need Woll to be our Number 1 ....and we need a better number 1 tadem on defence. Sorry...Reilly always gets a pass but he is better off playing less minutes and being our 2nd tadem. We need a big shot from the point on the PP and someone that plays a real good defensive game. Those dont grow on trees and who knows if they are available for trade. Teams are not stupid.

Domi and Bert would be a nice to have back at the right price. We do have some kids on their way that will help in the top 9

We didnt really get alot of the cap dollars we had to spend last year. So hopefully we get more value out of the cap dollars we have now to spend.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
I'm actually kind of surprised Keefe got fired since the team gave him a 2 year extension before the season started taking him to 2026. So they liked him. So just one year later, they dont like him already?

Although maybe they had to do it now to get Berube since it seems everyone (including sports radio) think he's the one.
Tre just bought time to use his bullet which he did now. they had to extend cuz u cant have lame duck coach .. but i woulda done 1 extra year instead of 2 but whatever

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Looks like it, unless they have a change of heard today. He's got one more year left on his contract apparently.

Maybe they let him ride it out and then drop the president's role all together? How many years does Masai have left on his? Does TFC have a president? When you own multiple professional franchises, it'll be hard to justify different operating structures.

Having a CEO who is involved in the sports teams, kinda makes the president role redundant imo.

He should be gone imo. Did a good job with the initial buildout, but massive failure in progression for the franchise (as far as on-ice results go).
Well, Sheldon had two years, and he's' gone now,..

The clear-out needs to be much bigger, and I hate this idea of standing on your hands with people you didn't hire just to give you more time. Be more emphatic, get your own people in here. We have a player here who I'd rather not waste any more of his time.

It could be the first eff-up by Pelly, and he's not even had his first day.

Reactions: wingman75

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
The player were running the team not keefe
Keefe finally started laying down the hammer last year but it was to late.
The new coach needs full control to do what he want .
Every player needs to buy in .

Country club is over if you don't like it leave .
he never really layed down the hammer or held his players accountable in his entire time here
star players walked all over him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad