Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Many teams are interested in Berube and if he is your man, you could lose him if you wait too long. I suspect he has already been hired and Leafs will introduce him when they think the time is right. They can't do it now because fans will say they rushed it.
I have absolutely no doubt that is exactly who they will hire. It's the Toronto thing to do.

Reactions: ToneDog

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Five wasted years of Dubas and Keefe. Who could have seen that coming?

The master of the Shanaplan needs to be be held accountable for his incompetance. I wonder if the moron phones the core and tells them they are safe. #Embarassing.
Like any company shit flows downhill.

So for the guy at the top to be toppled, it'll take a huge push to oust him.

Reactions: ToneDog

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
How does it sound like that?

"Sound" is probably a bad choice of word on my part.

Let's see what they do with Marner this summer because I don't think Tavares is going anywhere. Dubas wanted to move away from Marner last season before he got fired by Shanahan.

I have a feeling that the Leafs might ride out Tavares contract in the upcoming season to keep Marner around long term at the end of next season.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
There's been no comment whatsoever in regards to that other then media speculation.
People forget Toronto media speculate on everyting just for ratings. They are worng so much that it isnt even comical. They know nothing about what is next and will get caught totally offguard.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I also thought that if he takes a lower paying job, the Leafs are on the hook to pay the difference.

So say he made what 1.5 with the leafs, and sighs with PIT for 1... the Leafs own him 500k for the length of his Leafs contract.

I could be making that all up 🤣
Yes that is kinda true. But the Leafs have some leverage too. They still own his rights for 2 years. If Pitts wants him the Leafs can insist they match his contract value or at least come close to it.

Reactions: wingman75

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Let's see what they do with Marner this summer because I don't think Tavares is going anywhere. Dubas wanted to move away from Marner last season before he got fired by Shanahan.

I have a feeling that the Leafs might ride out Tavares contract in the upcoming season to keep Marner around long term at the end of next season.
Those things are all possible. I thought you had heard something more.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Finally

Good job Tre. Shane you had the waste another season to conclude the obvious but what's done is done

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Tre: Hey Mitch we have a trade lined up with Seattle.

Marner: Hahaha No

Pretty much how that would go.
Some of you need to set your expectations much lower. If Marner accepts a trade at all it isn’t going to be to anything but a very short list of contenders.
Those teams won’t offer much because they know we have no leverage and we probably have to eat salary or take back bad contracts just to make it work logistically.
I don't agree.

Mitch is not good with controversy and pressure.
Why not go to an up and coming team and be the hero?

Reactions: CincoHolio

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
"Sound" is probably a bad choice of word on my part.

He did? Where did you hear that?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If Berube isn't for you -- there are 3 other options I think. Todd Nelson (fantastic AHL record and veteran), Jay Woodcroft (made it further than Keefe ever did and lost to the cup winners twice) and Gerard Gallant (demanding, hectic but solid results).
Sabre fans hated Todd Nelson. Said hes not a coach for a team trying to take next step (theres is making playoffs vs ours being an actual contender)

Woodcroft is promising but hes also pretty fresh and hasnt shown to be able to coach when offensive elite plsyers have cold slumps

Gallant is like Berube for me. Alright option but not going to make a major difference

Quenville is only major coach I can think who makes a difference. His padt though makes him unlikely to be a target for us

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I don't hate Keefe, I think he did his best and this year he did a decent job with some glaring holes on the roster and adversity. He's not an asshole like Babcock was.

That being said, he failed to elevate this team when it mattered, and it was time for him to go.

He would be a great fit there tbh.
That's your problem. This isn't daycare

You need assholes leading you into war

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Reddit is so woke it’s not even funny, they can’t look at a situation with any objectivity at all. Reddit users are curated into a cult

Q had nothing to do with that bullshit in Chicago, he’s not at all involved.
Well that is certainly a take. And seeing how he was forced to resign and need permission to re-enter the league it’s certainly not one the NHL agrees with.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Many of his decisions have killed the team during playoffs. Why did he send out the 4th line as a road team when you had a lead late in the 3rd period? Those guys should have been benched for the rest of the game given the situation.
Teams used to marvel at Keefes inability to adjust and he made many decisions that left us head scratching.

Reactions: MSZ

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
anyone else feeling some relief for the first time in ages?
I know there are more changes to make but this one felt good and much needed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad