Value of: Shea Weber to TOR

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Well a number of us would say Matt Martin, but given that he's a mainstay on the 4th line and the Leafs went as far as protecting him in the expansion draft I'd say the Leafs don't see him as a cap dump.

I agree. I think martin will be a dump in year 4. But that’s about it.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
:laugh: Yeah good luck affording Weber's $7.8 million cap hit for the foreseeable future, Plus locking up both Marner and Nylander for $7 million and Matthews for $11 million and no being in cap hell. That's like $32.8 million tied up in 4 players long term. No way can the Leafs afford to take on Webers contract.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
:laugh: Yeah good luck affording Weber's $7.8 million cap hit for the foreseeable future, Plus locking up both Marner and Nylander for $7 million and Matthews for $11 million and no being in cap hell. That's like $32.8 million tied up in 4 players long term. No way can the Leafs afford to take on Webers contract.

We didn't start the thread and its dubious this even happens.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Weber won't command a premium return. This is the fault of a terrible talent evaluator in Bergevin. He traded a guy objectively worth way more for the guy who is not worth much due to financials.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
The only way I'd even touch Weber is if the deal starts with Marleau AND Martin. Even then it's an albatross of a contract that we don't need.

They'd ask for assets we wouldn't even think about dealing.

Paneerboy

Leave Zach alone
May 16, 2015
True as well. Facts are facts, what's the problem?

There's no problem. Well, besides the fact you were insulted enough at my post to take a shot at the Leafs, which may be a problem for you if you get irritated at people not liking your offers.

Everyone's a critic, and not everyone will agree with you. If that's tough to grasp, stay away from the Internet.

Mar 26, 2010
First off, this proposal was offered by a Habs fan, NOT a Leafs fan!

Shea Weber is a legit #1 D. Big, strong and a bomb of a shot and also a great leader. He fits the bill for exactly the D man Toronto would like to have. (Any team in the NHL for that fact)

A few issues...he is getting older now and not sure how long before he starts to regress. Also the fact that his cap his is $12M. There is no way Toronto can fit him under that cap, knowing they have to sign Matthews (who will likely get $12M), then Nylander, Marner and Gardiner will all need contracts. From a business point in the NHL, a Weber trade to Toronto will never work.

Matthews, Marner and Nylander are all untouchable as well. Toronto can not afford to trade 20 year old stars for a D man who will be 33 y/o soon. Huge fan of Weber, but a trade does not make sense. Toronto is at the start of hopefully building a dynasty, can not trade the young bucks.

Paneerboy

Leave Zach alone
May 16, 2015
First off, this proposal was offered by a Habs fan, NOT a Leafs fan!

Shea Weber is a legit #1 D. Big, strong and a bomb of a shot and also a great leader. He fits the bill for exactly the D man Toronto would like to have. (Any team in the NHL for that fact)

A few issues...he is getting older now and not sure how long before he starts to regress. Also the fact that his cap his is $12M. There is no way Toronto can fit him under that cap, knowing they have to sign Matthews (who will likely get $12M), then Nylander, Marner and Gardiner will all need contracts. From a business point in the NHL, a Weber trade to Toronto will never work.

Matthews, Marner and Nylander are all untouchable as well. Toronto can not afford to trade 20 year old stars for a D man who will be 33 y/o soon. Huge fan of Weber, but a trade does not make sense. Toronto is at the start of hopefully building a dynasty, can not trade the young bucks.

Nitpicking but Weber's cap hit is $7.857M, not $12M. His salary is $12M.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Don't see Montreal saying we made a mistake so soon and trade Weber away unless Toronto traded something impossible to pass up which I just don't see happening.

Jul 6, 2016
Nitpicking but Weber's cap hit is $7.857M, not $12M. His salary is $12M.

Right. And his last big bonus of 8 milion was paid last July by the Habs. He is now very affordable. His salary will be around 6 milion next season. Leafs are super rich anyway... And we know that Babcock loves him. He loves Price too....

Marmer + next year Leafs 1st draft pick would be enough for Weber.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Leafs definitely wont be taking on that contract, unless Montreal retains a healthy amount of it.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
I want no part of that contract. I wouldn't even trade this year's 1st rounder for him unless Montreal retained at least 2 million for the duration of the contract. I don't like the length but he is definitely tradeable to a team that doesn't spend to the cap given that he only makes 3 million in salary in 2022-2023 and then 1 million in 2023-2024.

Is Nashville on the hook if he retires early?

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Right. And his last big bonus of 8 milion was paid last July by the Habs. He is now very affordable. And we know that Babcock lives him.

Marmer + next year Leafs 1st draft pick would be enough.
Leafs would never do this lol

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Right. And his last big bonus of 8 milion was paid last July by the Habs. He is now very affordable. His salary will be around 6 milion next season. Leafs are super rich anyway... And we know that Babcock loves him. He loves Price too....

How affordable the actual salary is means nothing to Toronto. That's a selling point to a team like Arizona.

Your proposal isn't worth commenting on.

Reactions: Johnny Steps

Paneerboy

Leave Zach alone
May 16, 2015

The salary is never a problem for the Leafs, it's the cap hit. AFAIK and from CapFriendly, Weber's $7.857M cap hit doesn't change at all throughout the duration of his deal, which will be a major hindrance to the Leafs sooner rather than later.

As for the offer, I'm sure it would be, but it's not an offer the Leafs would consider, even for a second.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
The trade would look quite ugly.

TOR- Nathan Horton, Soshinikov, and a 2018 1st
MTL- Shea Weber

Just so the Leafs won't have that Horton's cap hit, and the Habs will have a cap hit if they plan on rebuilding. But if I'm a Leafs fan I wouldn't go for Weber. That contract will haunt them in the future.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
There's no problem. Well, besides the fact you were insulted enough at my post to take a shot at the Leafs, which may be a problem for you if you get irritated at people not liking your offers.

Everyone's a critic, and not everyone will agree with you. If that's tough to grasp, stay away from the Internet.

Lol what an amazing level of hypocrisy you just displayed. Take your own damn advice :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad