Confirmed with Link: Shea Weber Named to the Hockey Hall of Fame (MOD warning #66)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
There's nothing ridiculous about it...he's also likely headed to the HOF.

I don't know why that's so outlandish to you...but also not surprising, you think everyone who doesn't agree with you should is ridiculous or just trying to be a contrarian.

I said better CAREER...meaning, from start to finish, I think Suter has been better.

His peak wasn't as high as Weber, but he was consistently better throughout the length of his career and contrary to Weber, I think he's been one of the more underrated players of that same generation.

Also...there was No Subban/Markov grey zone IMO.
Yes there was. It was at least much closer than Suter/Weber.

Suter has as many top 5 Norris finishes as Weber has nominations. He has as many top 10s as Weber has top 5s. Weber was nominated to 4 all star team, Suter once. Like, it's not close. Unless you count him playing 5 seasons out of prime to compile games as a plus, which is ludicrous when you consider Weber was a top five D over 10 years in one of the most competitive era for Ds.

Nashville fan here, I think Weber was pretty clearly above Keith when he won the Norris in '13. Nashville missed the playoffs by two points though so he didn't get as many votes.
Nashville fan, Suter or Weber?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If you’re a Subbanista maybe.

Even Subban would tell you Markov > Subban lol

But ok, I don't think its an outlandish take.
Suter has as many top 5 Norris finishes as Weber has nominations. He has as many top 10s as Weber has top 5s. Weber was nominated to 4 all star team, Suter once. Like, it's not close. Unless you count him playing 5 seasons out of prime to compile games as a plus, which is ludicrous when you consider Weber was a top five D over 10 years in one of the most competitive era for Ds.
What do “Norris finiahes” mean? They hand out half trophies for those?

Again, I never said Weber was crap, just thought he was overrated.
Nashville fan

Josi or Weber?

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

Suter left Nashville on bad terms so a lot of Preds fans are a little biased , but in terms of play Suter played mistake free hockey for 30+ minutes a night in his prime, which might seem a little boring but as a defenseman that's what you'd like, Weber took more risks and for the most part it paid off he's one of the only defenseman in history to lead his team in goals multiple times.

Suter was one of my favorite players, but Weber is better.

If you’re a Subbanista maybe.

Even Subban would tell you Markov > Subban lol

But ok, I don't think its an outlandish take.

What do “Norris finiahes” mean? They hand out half trophies for those?

Again, I never said Weber was crap, just thought he was overrated.

Nashville fan

Josi or Weber?
That one's tougher. They're both easily HHOFers. Josi is silkier, Weber was tougher.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Suter left Nashville on bad terms so a lot of Preds fans are a little biased , but in terms of play Suter played mistake free hockey for 30+ minutes a night in his prime, which might seem a little boring but as a defenseman that's what you'd like, Weber took more risks and for the most part it paid off he's one of the only defenseman in history to lead his team in goals multiple times.

Suter was one of my favorite players, but Weber is better.
Thanks for the input and I know the majority of people will say Weber was better but like I said, IMO, Weber’s peak was higher but I find Suter has had a better career from start to finish.

He maintained his best level of play, for longer than Weber did.

That one's tougher. They're both easily HHOFers. Josi is silkier, Weber was tougher.
Again fair…but this is another one where I look at what they both have done in Nashville, and Josi just plain the better Preds player.

Josi has been a dominant player for a long time and no one really talks about.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Thanks for the input and I know the majority of people will say Weber was better but like I said, IMO, Weber’s peak was higher but I find Suter has had a better career from start to finish.

He maintained his best level of play, for longer than Weber did.

Again fair…but this is another one where I look at what they both have done in Nashville, and Josi just plain the better Preds player.

Josi has been a dominant player for a long time and no one really talks about.
It's harder to compare because of quality of the teams they played on. What Weber did in '13 with that roster was probably the most impressive season by any Nashville Predator.

Reactions: Deebs and 417

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Probably not the nicest thing to say in this thread but i'm going to be honest.

Shea Weber for me, has always been one of the most overrated players of his generation.

Overrated doesn't mean he sucked...just means he was rated too highly. I never saw what everyone saw and when he became a Habs, he confirmed everything I ever thought about him.

Granted, he became a Montreal Canadiens player in the latter part of his career.

Again, don't get me wrong...very good player, at his peak, probably one of the best Dmen in the NHL but I don't think that peak was long enough.

But he was big, tough, had a big shot and was Canadian...so rah rah rah.

Congratulations to him though, his peers clearly thought differently than I lol so good for him.
nice post. i feel the same way. IDK about his time in Nashville, but I never saw these magical ~ leadership ~ qualities while he was a Hab. I think a lot of folks saw his stoic, mean demeanor and just assumed that was 'leadership'? :dunno:

but, I'm just one fan. congrats to him for admission to the HHOF :handclap:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I will say, the performance that got Weber in the HoF was not the performance we saw with the habs.

He was great in Nashville though. I compare him to Price a little bit. Nothing Price did was flashy, but it's because he was so efficient in his movements and was a step ahead in the play. Nashville Weber was the same thing. Basically, you could not get passed him one-on-one when trying to rush on his side. You had to dump in the puck, at which point he'd crush you in the corner. His gap control and position was insane. I can see how forwards found him so frustrating to play against.

The Weber the habs got was still good, but not anything close to HoF good. Outside the fluke cup run, the most memorable Weber moments were him breaking Gallagher's hands twice. Thankfully he finished his career on that run because his time with the habs would have been so forgettable.
He was never the same after playing him on broken foot. It ruined his ankle. Robbed Habs 4-5 years of hall of fame caliber Weber

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Suter no offense. Weber around 20 goals. Not physical dominant like Weber. Not the leadership. ie. Called meeting before Game 5 against Toronto.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
nice post. i feel the same way. IDK about his time in Nashville, but I never saw these magical ~ leadership ~ qualities while he was a Hab. I think a lot of folks saw his stoic, mean demeanor and just assumed that was 'leadership'? :dunno:

but, I'm just one fan. congrats to him for admission to the HHOF :handclap:
In fairness, leadership occurs in the dressing room, at practice, one to one, on the bench – out of earshot from the fans. Great leaders can only be measured by those they lead, and the consensus from 16 years of teammates is that Shea Weber was a great leader.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
In fairness, leadership occurs in the dressing room, at practice, one to one, on the bench – out of earshot from the fans. Great leaders can only be measured by those they lead, and the consensus from 16 years of teammates is that Shea Weber was a great leader.
Yah, leadership is not for the fans to decide. Every coach, GM, and player who has been asked to speak of Weber's off-ice traits have described him as a great leader.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
That Weber zoom call was a very interesting listen. Talking about how much pain he was really in during the final 1.5 years of his NHL career and during that finals run, the amount of meds he was taking (which he wouldn't get into) and said there were days he could barely get out of bed.

Also said the year after he stopped playing he said he wasn't in a good place both mentally and physically and didn't want to talk to anyone including his own family and pretty much just wanted to be left alone.

Well worth a listen if you can find it somewhere later.

I remember when nick kyrepos reported that weber's career was in danger about a year or two before he actually got ltir'd

Most were laughing at the report but turns out that he was on the money.

Reactions: sheed36

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022

Yah, leadership is not for the fans to decide. Every coach, GM, and player who has been asked to speak of Weber's off-ice traits have described him as a great leader.

You simply have to defer to the people who worked around him that his leadership is beyond doubt... and I think it is... but this is the same league that's given Joel Edmundson a raise and another 4 year contract...

For what it's worth, I never felt he was a good fit in Montreal nor that he wanted to be in Montreal. I felt he was professional but injury prone and on the hard decline. It's a shame we never got to see Peak Weber but it's a shame Bergevin squandered Subban-Price-Pacioretty as bad as he did. Many shames but we move on.

Reactions: Andy

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
You simply have to defer to the people who worked around him that his leadership is beyond doubt... and I think it is... but this is the same league that's given Joel Edmundson a raise and another 4 year contract...

For what it's worth, I never felt he was a good fit in Montreal nor that he wanted to be in Montreal. I felt he was professional but injury prone and on the hard decline. It's a shame we never got to see Peak Weber but it's a shame Bergevin squandered Subban-Price-Pacioretty as bad as he did. Many shames but we move on.
100% agreed!

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

The Weber trade wasn't just a swap of defensemen, it was a swap of personality types. Weber's stoic public face was the complete opposite of Subban's camera-ready persona, which may have made Weber seem cold by comparison. We'll never really know how he felt about this place, but I still think we benefitted from the backend of his prime. He was terrific in the 2017 playoffs (even if the team couldn't score) and was a huge reason we made it to the SCF in 2021.

As you said, Bergevin squandered a good core that I would say spanned both Subban and Weber's time.

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
1720847401608.png

Reactions: Shred

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The Weber trade wasn't just a swap of defensemen, it was a swap of personality types. Weber's stoic public face was the complete opposite of Subban's camera-ready persona, which may have made Weber seem cold by comparison. We'll never really know how he felt about this place, but I still think we benefitted from the backend of his prime. He was terrific in the 2017 playoffs (even if the team couldn't score) and was a huge reason we made it to the SCF in 2021.

As you said, Bergevin squandered a good core that I would say spanned both Subban and Weber's time.
Bergs got them to Finals. Not like total loss. Without Weber doesn't happen. Biggest upset/comeback in our history against Leafs. Absolutely nobody gave us a chance in Toronto series. Brian Burke predicted Habs last til Game 6. He was closest.

Get a hot goalie and key injury of opposing team, suddenly that 4 game sweep has turned into Game 7. Then you get a bounce and a break.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrei79 and Lshap

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Bergs got them to Finals. Not like total loss. Without Weber doesn't happen. Biggest upset/comeback in our history against Leafs. Absolutely nobody gave us a chance in Toronto series. Brian Burke predicted Habs last til Game 6. He was closest.

Get a hot goalie and key injury of opposing team, suddenly that 4 game sweep has turned into Game 7. Then you get a bounce and a break.
I think as far as upset/comeback, the 2004 team vs the Bruins and the 2010 team vs the Capitals are ahead for me just because I think Toronto was super overrated that year and we were better then people gave us credit for going into the playoffs with Price and Weber having I believe a month rest before the playoffs started. I think beating Vegas was much more impressive then coming back 3-1 down against a team of mental midgets like the Leafs so I guess you have to give Bergevin some credit for building a team that could do that.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think as far as upset/comeback, the 2004 team vs the Bruins and the 2010 team vs the Capitals are ahead for me just because I think Toronto was super overrated that year and we were better then people gave us credit for going into the playoffs with Price and Weber having I believe a month rest before the playoffs started. I think beating Vegas was much more impressive then coming back 3-1 down against a team of mental midgets like the Leafs so I guess you have to give Bergevin some credit for building a team that could do that.

Going into game 7 against Toronto, I kind of expected montreal to win. Against Boston and Washington, I was hoping they could win.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I must be out of touch af.

Do we all think Carey Price should be in the NHL Hall of Fame?

I suppose he should when you look at it like this:

Carey Price has had an exceptional career as a goaltender for the Montreal Canadiens, achieving numerous milestones and accolades. Here are some of his most notable career achievements:
NHL Awards: In the 2014-15 season, Price had a historic performance, winning four major awards:

Hart Trophy (NHL MVP)
Vezina Trophy (best goaltender)
Ted Lindsay Award (most outstanding player as voted by peers)
William M. Jennings Trophy (fewest goals allowed)
This made him the first goaltender in NHL history to win all four awards in the same season.
Canadiens' All-Time Wins Leader: Price became the winningest goaltender in Canadiens history, surpassing 361 wins as of the 2023-24 season.
Olympic Gold Medal: In 2014, Price led Team Canada to a gold medal at the Sochi Olympics, posting an impressive 0.59 goals-against average and .972 save percentage. He was named the tournament's top goaltender.
Junior Hockey Success: In 2007, Price won the Del Wilson Trophy as the WHL's top goaltender and the CHL Goaltender of the Year Award.
AHL Success: Also in 2007, Price led the Hamilton Bulldogs to the Calder Cup championship in the AHL and won the Jack A. Butterfield Trophy as playoff MVP.
NHL All-Star: Price has been selected to play in the NHL All-Star Game multiple times (2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2018).
Bill Masterton Trophy: In 2022, Price was awarded the Masterton Trophy for perseverance and dedication to hockey, overcoming significant challenges including knee surgery and entering the NHL/NHLPA player assistance program.
Canadiens' Records: On April 3, 2018, Price made his 557th NHL start for the Canadiens, surpassing Jacques Plante for the Montreal record.
Philanthropy: Price has been involved in various charitable efforts, including donating equipment to minor hockey leagues and serving as an ambassador for the Breakfast Club of Canada.

Throughout his career, Price has consistently been regarded as one of the best goaltenders in the world, known for his calm demeanor and exceptional play. His achievements have solidified his place as one of the greatest goaltenders in Montreal Canadiens history.
He’s a first ballot hall of famer if Shea Weber is. He was better and more dominant at his position. What’s interesting though, is outside of the one season with all the hardware there isn’t very much for individual awards at the NHL level. It’s a pretty weak resume imo, you have to include Sochi and Junior to validate arguments on his behalf.

I think he was the best in the world for a short time, I think that reputation followed him for much longer than it were true.

There are many weaker players in the hall. Overall, he’s deserving I suppose. However, I believe the bar should be extremely high or there is no point in having one.

You’re stuck on NHL stats alone, it’s the “Hockey” Hall of Fame. There are less than a handful of players in the HOF who can match Price’s accomplishments from junior hockey thru pro ranks
Nonsense, ppl aren’t making the HOF because of their junior stats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad