Shea Weber joins Canadiens Ring of Honour

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'll never get what people saw in Weber. he had like one good stretch of three months in his 5 year stint here (the Cup run)
Had probably hardest shot ever here, around 20 goals. Gave team the secondary scoring from Blueline. Leadership, held Game 5 meeting in Toronto. Physical presence in from of Price. He was leader of the 4 thoroughbreds. Designed In playoffs to shut down finesse players, take away passing lanes, win puck battles and get puck out.

Weber was cut down because your idiot doctor let him play 17 games on broken foot and it ruined ligaments in his ankle. He was never the same after that. Doctor did similar to Monahan and it tore his groin. Gorton seeing it fired him first off season.

Even if we still had to rebuild can you imagine the return we get for a healthy Weber?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'll never get what people saw in Weber. he had like one good stretch of three months in his 5 year stint here (the Cup run)

He was pretty good for the Habs. He dragged a few a guys on his pair that had no business being in a top role.

His best was in nashville, but he was valuable in Montreal too, and his legacy also lives on to this day with the young guys who still talk about his off ice leadership and how they have used those lessons as they develop into leaders as well.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Komisarek, Josh Gorges. Subban had to carry Murray and Bouillon.

Also, I find Weber added to the ring of honor before Markov a big slap in the face.

Markov is going to get a bigger night.... similar to what koivu got.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Anybody know why my thread on Habs new addition to coaching staff and new chief scouts is not on here?

Does he have 9 cups and 11 all-star games and a major trophy?
All-Star games are different than All-Star selections. Let’s be fair here. Provost has one.

Again it’s really hard for those of us who didn’t see him to quantify anything. We can go off quotes and reputation but there’s no advanced stats that would help us with context, the Selke didn’t exist…

I agree Provost is probably badly underrated but if you asked me to back it up I’d throw a bunch of player quotes back at you and not much else.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Anybody know why my thread on Habs new addition to coaching staff and new chief scouts is not on here?

Does he have 9 cups and 11 all-star games and a major trophy?

1 Stanley Cup
3 Selke
1 WC Gold
3 WC Silver
1 OG Silver
3 OG Bronze

I don't put much value in Stanley Cups after the first and All-Star games don't mean much.

Provost's chance of making the HoF are the same as Lehtinen, close to none. Both great players though.

As for your thread, we already have a thread for hockey ops where the signing are being discussed.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Komisarek, Josh Gorges. Subban had to carry Murray and Bouillon.

Also, I find Weber added to the ring of honor before Markov a big slap in the face.
Gorges and Komisarek weren’t 19 year old non-NHLers. Komisarek was a fine D man until Lucic tooled him. Let alone the fact that you’re comparing prime Markov with past his prime Weber. Playoff Markov was middling. Nothing close to what Weber did in that Cup run. The General’s great all in all but never really stepped it up when it mattered.

Did Hal Gill make Gorges look like a top 4 D man too in the ‘10 playoffs? Gorges had his limitations but again you can’t compare him to Mete.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
2019-2020 was the last time we saw Weber (age 34) play hockey under normal circumstances. Played 65 of 71 games, 24 minutes a night, 15 goals, +++ defensively as usual. The man was a monster. It’s a real shame his body couldn’t hold up and now he’ll be paying for it the rest of his life trying to get that 2021 cup.

Put da respeck on dat name

HabsCowboysOwn

60M/yr bum QB, 4 more wasted years here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Sorry but Weber will always be a Predator who happened to play a few seasons here at the tail end of his career, no one will remember him as a Hab.

Also the fact they're inducting him and not guys like Koivu, Markov, Kovalev, Subban and many more is a joke. Inductions shouldn't be limited to Hall of Famers, players who left a significant mark on the team should be considered.

Reactions: Andy

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Gorges and Komisarek weren’t 19 year old non-NHLers. Komisarek was a fine D man until Lucic tooled him. Let alone the fact that you’re comparing prime Markov with past his prime Weber. Playoff Markov was middling. Nothing close to what Weber did in that Cup run. The General’s great all in all but never really stepped it up when it mattered.

Did Hal Gill make Gorges look like a top 4 D man too in the ‘10 playoffs? Gorges had his limitations but again you can’t compare him to Mete.
Having to carry deadweight and make it look good is carrying deadweight regardless if they are rookies, mid career, or at the end of their careers.

I like that you mention the '10 playoffs when Subban came in and took the D by storm.

I'm sorry man, a miracle cup run and carrying some dead weight doesnt justify this honor. It's kind of slap in the face to other players that have been on this club. If not for those COVID conditions leading to a fluke run, legit no one would remember Weber 10 years from now. He was entirely unremarkable until those four series in his final years.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Having to carry deadweight and make it look good is carrying deadweight regardless if they are rookies, mid career, or at the end of their careers.

I like that you mention the '10 playoffs when Subban came in and took the D by storm.

I'm sorry man, a miracle cup run and carrying some dead weight doesnt justify this honor. It's kind of slap in the face to other players that have been on this club. If not for those COVID conditions leading to a fluke run, legit no one would remember Weber 10 years from now. He was entirely unremarkable until those four series in his final years.

It's not really a slap in the face to other players. Anyone and everyone who had a relationship with the Habs and was inducted to the HoF become part of the "ring of honour".

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I just bought tickets for this game. Spur of the moment thing. I was at the Carbonneau one, lots of stars around. Meet and chat with a few. I figured likely best time at game this year. I am pumped!!

I said hell with it, bought two tickets to Oilers game also. I thought while I was in town. Hotel only extra night. Hotel only 5 minute walk from Bell Center. I'll hang around all night. First time I get to see McDavid and Drai play in person

Reactions: Team_Spirit

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I just bought tickets for this game. Spur of the moment thing. I was at the Carbonneau one, lots of stars around. Meet and chat with a few. I figured likely best time at game this year. I am pumped!!

I said hell with it, bought two tickets to Oilers game also. I thought while I was in town. Hotel only extra night. Hotel only 5 minute walk from Bell Center. I'll hang around all night. First time I get to see McDavid and Drai play in person

Wow great plan I'm tempted

Bonaventure hotel? The one with the year round pool on top.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Oh god I don't even think I can do this lol.

He still more or less scored at his 20 goal a year pace here. We got him when he was quite broken and only got more broken as he went on and still was a bonafide #1.

The point about the deadweight is that Komisarek for most of his time here wasn't dead weight. He experienced a very dramatic drop off after Lucic pummelled him. If you think prime Komisarek and 19 y/o Mete are the same then sure...I guess? We can argue that Komisarek at his best was overrated but this revisionism that he was always dog shit is bs. Plus Markov had a great wing man in Hamrlik to take a lot of defensive burden off him. Weber didn't exactly have that same luxury if I'm not mistaken.

And again Weber was doing this when he himself wasn't in his prime anymore while Markov was doing this while at his absolute best.

We can even debate the validity of the Cup run. Sure we shouldn't have made it but how much different was it than a 'REAL' playoff? Toronto choked away a 3-1 lead in the first round. Tampa Bay won. Nothing really out of the ordinary there except how we got in. The games had playoff atmosphere and level of play.

Sure Weber wasn't 'exciting' and MB is every real Hab fan's arch villain. Fine. But people who don't see what Weber brought to this team under the circumstances were watching through extremely jaded eyes. Justifiably so to an extent but don't try and diminish what he did and how he played. It's just silly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad