Shawn Belle

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

I think he'll be a good #4/5 guy.

Defensive defenseman, a possible journeyman because of his lack of puck skills. The AHL may eat him alive defensively before he can get back on his pony and settle in.

Larionov Fan

Dec 30, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I disagree. I think his speed will be the biggest factor, and will allow him to adjust his technical game at the AHL level. I can see him being a good powerplay guy, and a solid #3 or possibly #2 dman.

leafaholix*

Larionov Fan said:
I disagree. I think his speed will be the biggest factor, and will allow him to adjust his technical game at the AHL level. I can see him being a good powerplay guy, and a solid #3 or possibly #2 dman.
The guy has no offensive game... you expect him to be a PP guy? He's not a great handler of the puck or decision maker. If it weren't for his tremendous size and skating, I don't think he'd make it past the AHL.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Leafaholix said:
The guy has no offensive game... you expect him to be a PP guy? He's not a great handler of the puck or decision maker. If it weren't for his tremendous size and skating, I don't think he'd make it past the AHL.

Well he's not even that great in his own end either. I always thought he had a latent offensive game somewhere because he's such a great skater and a good first passer, but it doesn't seem like it. But you make him out to be Hal Gill, which he is not.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Leafaholix said:

Yeah, 25 points in 31 games.

He was rated as the best pure athlete in the draft in 2003. The knock is his "hockey sense" isn't great - but that is something that can be gained w/ experience, provided you learn from mistakes - his ability to read the play is something he must work on but it can be improved.

However, his pure athleticism will get him beyond the AHL, IMO. Being a great athlete will differentiate him from many other players because it can't be taught.

I wonder how much people could complain about his lack of hockey sense if he was white (I am by no means calling anyone a racist - but there seems to be an unspoken prevailing thought of black athletes being a little slower - this is in every sport not just hockey).

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Leafaholix said:

Thats right, because 25 points in 31 games shows he has no offensive game :shakehead. Sure he has some things to work on, but lets not forget the guy is only 19 years old(20 in early January). Its not like he can't improve on the areas he needs work on.

espo*

The guy needs some work but with some good coaching and experience i think he can turn into a solid defenseman.I don't disagree with posters who say he lacks some hockey sense out there but he sometimes makes up for that at this level with his incredible physical gifts.He can really skate the puck out of trouble when he decides to do so and if he runs into you it's normally game over as it's like hitting a brick wall. He needs coaching and maturity but he could turn into a nice 4 or 5 d-man with a possibility of turning into a number three...it's a reach and he'll never be Nick Lidstrom but a solid pro is not out of the question i don't think.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Chaos said:
Thats right, because 25 points in 31 games shows he has no offensive game :shakehead. Sure he has some things to work on, but lets not forget the guy is only 19 years old(20 in early January). Its not like he can't improve on the areas he needs work on.

Well when most of your points come off second assists and pucks accidentally touching the stick and going in, we're entitled to some questioning.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Leachmeister2000 said:
Well when most of your points come off second assists and pucks accidentally touching the stick and going in, we're entitled to some questioning.

OK, let me try again. 25 pts. in 31 games, 8 goals....

And you have seen everyone of his assists to say they are seconds and accidents??? :shakehead

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Leachmeister2000 said:

So I suppose his 8 goals are all accidents as well, and that you have seen every one of his games to see that they are all second assists :shakehead

Plager05

Mar 17, 2002
Sewers
Visit site
someone could always check the game summaries.

Doesn't he get a lot of icetime for his team though?

and another question,

I heard he has an awesome outlet pass. is this true?

Sammy*

Theres a very good reason why the guy with those kind of physical skills & size was picked number 30 overall.
IMO, there is virtually no chance he ever plays in the NHL as a regular, & I attribute that to his abject stupidity as a hockey player.
Just my .02

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Sammy said:
Theres a very good reason why the guy with those kind of physical skills & size was picked number 30 overall.
IMO, there is virtually no chance he ever plays in the NHL as a regular, & I attribute that to his abject stupidity as a hockey player.
Just my .02

Was there a reason Martin Havlat was picked 26th overall? Or maybe Pavol Demitra in the 8th round, or Pavel Datsyuk in the 7th(I think) round, or Henrik Zetterberg in the 7th round, or Nicklas Lidstrom in the 3rd round. I could go on and on. You definately cant judge someone on draft position.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
Sammy said:
Just my .02

Abject stupidity huh? Them's strong words. I doubt he'd be picked in the 1st round, if at all, if he truly had NO sense for the game of hockey and no chance of improving that lack of sense; which is basically what you've said.

Sammy*

Chaos said:
Was there a reason Martin Havlat was picked 26th overall? Or maybe Pavol Demitra in the 8th round, or Pavel Datsyuk in the 7th(I think) round, or Henrik Zetterberg in the 7th round, or Nicklas Lidstrom in the 3rd round. I could go on and on. You definately cant judge someone on draft position.
I'm not judging him on draft position. I am simply saying there is a reason why he wasnt picked a whole lot earlier given his physical skills,& thats because his lack of hockey acumen.
Its hardly a unique or controversial statement.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Sammy said:
I'm not judging him on draft position. I am simply saying there is a reason why he wasnt picked a whole lot earlier given his physical skills,& thats because his lack of hockey acumen.
Its hardly a unique or controversial statement.

So then what was the reason for Havlat to last until #26, or Demitra into the 8th round, or Lidstrom into the 3rd round? You can't judge the guy just on his draft position, and thats essentially what you are doing.

leafaholix*

Chaos said:
So then what was the reason for Havlat to last until #26, or Demitra into the 8th round, or Lidstrom into the 3rd round? You can't judge the guy just on his draft position, and thats essentially what you are doing.
Let's put it this way, if Shawn Belle had hockey smarts, he would have gone in the top 10 given his physique and skating. He was a highly touted prospect since the age of atleast 16 that didn't mature mentally, just physically.

leafaholix*

markov` said:
I'd compare him to Bret Hedican.
I agree, but he's physically much stronger than Hedican.

Though he's not as good with the puck.

Sammy*

Chaos said:
God, you just dont get it. If he had a half a brain in hisa head he would have been drafted alot higher. Thats simply a comment that you can agree or disagree on. What I am saying that imo he wont ever play regularly in the show cause he doesnt have much of a brain.
His draft position had zippo with with why I have formed my opinion & has solely to do with his coconut.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Sammy said:
Just my .02

He makes Tom Poti and Wes O'neil look like smart hockey players.

The guy has ALL the skill in the world but a 10 cent brain.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Leafaholix said:
I agree, but he's physically much stronger than Hedican.

Though he's not as good with the puck.
Not nearly as good with the puck, not at all. He is a comparable skater, more physical, but not as smart, and less skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad