Speculation: Shattenkirk

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
You realize that Hitch can, and has, played both of those guys at every forward position, right? Every forward on the Blues' roster has been all over the lineup, with the exception of Tarasenko and Reaves.

I'm not arguing that this is ideal. I'm only suggesting, the club may see more value in playing either or both of those players in the middle or on the right, if we have a chance to improve the roster with bigger, faster, or more talented players.

Also, you're focused on the top six, but if the Blues have the talent to do it, they will roll all their lines on even strength. Sucks for their fantasy value, but it's worked for them. In terms of even strength ice, there won't be much of a difference between our first and third lines.

Oh you mean how Schwartz played center for like 4 games and Steen only went towards the middle at the end of the season? Or how Berglund sometimes plays center when we have an injury? Just because a coach does a little experimentation during the season means nothing. I'm sure Patrick Kane has played center at least once throughout his career, should Chicago just peg him as a center in their projections? Hey, why are even worrying about forwards at this point, we still have Chris Butler and he's proven he can play forward when asked. Let's just trade Shatty for a defenseman. Oh wait, never mind, Steen plays there on the powerplay. Huh, well I guess we're set then.

Also, your point just proves what I'm saying. How many players on the left are more talented than Steen or Schwartz? Anyone clearly better are well beyond our price range and unless we want to just trade Shatty for some uber-talented third liner, than we should use our assets more intelligently.

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014
I don't know about you, but this is how I see the lines shaping up, as the team is currently configured:

FABBRI--LEHTERA--TARASENKO
SCHWARTZ--STEEN--PERRON
BERGLUND--STASTNY--SOBOTKA
UPSHALL--BRODZIAK--REAVES/FERRARO

If that's what we're looking at, then yes--the idea of upgrading Berglund and/or Sobotka on that "third" line with a faster or bigger player is absolutely appealing.

Again, I'm not hung up on line designations--because Hitch isn't.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don't know about you, but this is how I see the lines shaping up, as the team is currently configured:

FABBRI--LEHTERA--TARASENKO
SCHWARTZ--STEEN--PERRON
BERGLUND--STASTNY--SOBOTKA
UPSHALL--BRODZIAK--REAVES/FERRARO

If that's what we're looking at, then yes--the idea of upgrading Berglund and/or Sobotka on that "third" line with a faster or bigger player is absolutely appealing.

Again, I'm not hung up on line designations--because Hitch isn't.
As would most...but you never pay a premium for it.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Bruins only have 6.7 million in cap space.
Marchand, Pastrnak, and Spooner contracts come up next season.
+ Vesey

Maybe if they got rid of Adam McQuaid.

I'd love to see something around Shattenkirk and Marchand but haven't seen any rumors.

Marchand is the 1 thing the current Blues roster is missing. Blues are extremely talented but they have no one that can play a physical game.

I'm hoping the Blues do one of 3 things. Keep Shatty, Trade for Marchand, Trade for Kreider.

I just want them to do it soon because I'm tired of waiting.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Honestly? I'm sure it was offered that conversation was probably had before the Hall trade to NJ.

I was being sarcastic. Hall would be a Blue instead of a Devil today if Shattenkirk would have agreed to extend in Edm.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Wow. With the news of the Kreider deal, I'm pretty shocked. I really thought that Kreider was going to be moved to St. Louis as the key piece of a Shattenkirk trade.

Could something around Nash for Shattenkirk work?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Wow. With the news of the Kreider deal, I'm pretty shocked. I really thought that Kreider was going to be moved to St. Louis as the key piece of a Shattenkirk trade.

Just because Kreider signed with New York, doesn't mean he can't be traded.

Nash does not work for us. We don't have the cap space for him now or next season. Any deal has to be at a minimum, cap neutral for this season and next.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm guessing if they signed Kreider, they're going to want to keep him. Maybe not, but I think that trade possibility decreased a lot with the signing.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago

He actually couldn't get traded until he signed a contract, since he agreed to go to arbitration.

DasKaiser

Jun 7, 2016
I was being sarcastic. Hall would be a Blue instead of a Devil today if Shattenkirk would have agreed to extend in Edm.

Edmonton would never have done this straight up. Shatterkirk wants:
1. Stay in the east
2. Stay in US
Also he is 1 year from UFA, throw in Parayko and maybe.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Edmonton would never have done this straight up. Shatterkirk wants:
1. Stay in the east
2. Stay in US
Also he is 1 year from UFA, throw in Parayko and maybe.

Haha. It was reported that if Shattenkirk extended, it would've been straight up. Then it was indicated that Edmonton would have been fine with him not being extended, but wanted an unknown addition. That addition definitely wouldn't have been Parayko, lol.

The only part about staying in the East, was from our GM because we don't want to play against him as much.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
There has never been a time where a player signed a new contract with a team, and then was traded before he got to play a game since the signing of that contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad