Rumor: Shattenkirk for Krejci?

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
I don't think this would be a bad trade but I'd look to make an alternative one. I do like the idea of getting out of one of the big contracts that the Bruins have up front (either Krejci or Bergeron) before those players start to decline.

However, one issue is that Krejci is coming off an injury. When could this trade actually happen?

Another issue for me is that while Shattenkirk would definitely be an upgrade on the right side, I'm not sure I want to commit a major contract to him going forward, (along the lines of $7 million annually?) and the deal based around Krejci + Shattenkirk doesn't make sense without the assurance of a Shattenkirk extension. I don't think he's the kind of difference maker that warrants that kind of contract.

I'm much more favorable to the idea of acquiring Trouba even with the idea that you have to overpay and then immediately give him a large contract. Trouba to me will be a much more solid player that steers the outcome of games in his team's favor whereas Shattenkirk I think is more dependent on the quality of the team around him and gives me the "trick or treat" impression.

I want a guy that this team can build around for the future to eventually complement the defensemen that the Bruins drafted in the last two years.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Considering how bad the Bruins defence is, I wouldn't say Shattenkirk is a marginal upgrade. With Spooner, Backes, and Bergeron, we aren't losing that much at centre by trading Krejci.

Chara - Shattenkirk
Krug - K.Miller

I'd feel much more comfortable with that as the top four than with Miller and McQuaid both in top four rolls ugh.

Unfortunately Claude Julien disagrees.

He wants his solid two-way guys up the middle. He doesn't like Spooner as a center in the defensive zone (I tend to agree with him).

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I like Shattenkirk more than many here but I still don`t do this deal and it isn`t because I don`t think he`d (Shattenkirk) wouldn`t improve the D but more about the B`s would be losing the versatility of Backes.

Having DK in the lineup allows for a relief of DK/Bergy to do all the heavy lifting up the middle as they can slide DB into the C role from time to time for Spoons if he`s struggling, maybe move him up on DK`s wing etc... Moving DK essentially leaves the B`s with the same potential issue up front in the middle.

Nor do I have any worries about DK`s NMC/NTC whichever it is, we`ve seen countless players moved with either. They are simply designed to give the player more control over his situation, less about a player finishing his career in a particular city

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
If this trade happens it would allow the Bruins to add a good RW on an expiring contract for this season. The ride side concerns me as much as the D. The fact that Jimmy Hayes hasn't been dealt to Disney on Ice for a pair of chipmunks and back up skater worries me.

Put Spooner with a solid checking wing and let him take the 3rd line spot and power play time. Krecji isn't getting younger or healthier and that contract is only going to get worse.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
The deal is tremendously fair btw, but only if Shatty is extended. That said I doubt the Blues can afford this at 1 for 1. Or if they can, it's gonna be razor tight.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If this trade happens it would allow the Bruins to add a good RW on an expiring contract for this season. The ride side concerns me as much as the D. The fact that Jimmy Hayes hasn't been dealt to Disney on Ice for a pair of chipmunks and back up skater worries me.

Put Spooner with a solid checking wing and let him take the 3rd line spot and power play time. Krecji isn't getting younger or healthier and that contract is only going to get worse.

not arguing simply asking, any names for RW`s you might be thinking of ?

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
So how is it that the Islanders got 2 top 4 defenseman in one off season for basically nothing major? The whole world knew they needed defenseman but they still got em. They preyed on teams that weren't dealing from a position of strength (cap strapped). That's all I want. Fill out the top 4 while Chara is still here. Can't be that hard if the Islanders did it right????

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Still think Krejci has a few more good runs in him, however you have to surround him with adequet talent. Lucic Horton and Lucic Iggy really brought our Krejci's best. A playmaker needs quality around him to be effective. Curious to see how he plays with Backes.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
I've been saying Krejci for Shattenkirk over a year on this board at this point. I don't see it happening at this point, also would prefer a better, defense first D option over Shatty.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So how is it that the Islanders got 2 top 4 defenseman in one off season for basically nothing major? That's all I want. Fill out the top 4 while Chara is still here. Can't be that hard if the Islanders did it right????

Right place at the right time. They had cap space when teams were desperate to get under the cap. Who knows maybe if the Bruins wait long enough, someone might end up in a bind

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
So how is it that the Islanders got 2 top 4 defenseman in one off season for basically nothing major? The whole world knew they needed defenseman but they still got em. They preyed on teams that weren't dealing from a position of strength (cap strapped). That's all I want. Fill out the top 4 while Chara is still here. Can't be that hard if the Islanders did it right????

The Islanders took a gamble on players with upside. They dealt for Boychuk (a #4 at the time) and Leddy (a 5-6) who Quenneville wouldn't trust in the playoffs with any more ice time than he absolutely had to.

For me, the jury is still out on lLeddy.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The Islanders took a gamble on players with upside. They dealt for Boychuk (a #4 at the time) and Leddy (a 5-6) who Quenneville wouldn't trust in the playoffs with any more ice time than he absolutely had to.

For me, the jury is still out on lLeddy.

and I`m not so sure last season wasn`t the first where we see the play of JB start declining

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I guess I'm in the minority, but if Sweeney could extend Shattenkrik, I'd do it straight up. Krejci has what, 6 more years at 7.5 mill per.

I like Krejci, but with that contract, age and health issues - I'd move on.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I guess I'm in the minority, but if Sweeney could extend Shattenkrik, I'd do it straight up. Krejci has what, 6 more years at 7.5 mill per.

I like Krejci, but with that contract, age and health issues - I'd move on.

I really like Shattenkirk, but as stated before, I would not move him for DK...even if he's signed to a contract.

DK gets a lot of slack here, but when he's on his game and actually has good linemates he's an extremely effective offensive center that is notch lower then Bergeron as a two way center, IMO.

I personally don't feel comfortable inserting Backes or Spooner as our 2nd line center and feel like we can still acquire an effective top 4 dman without trading DK away.

As long as this team is strong down the middle, they will be competitive.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Also...why is everyone so worried about his health issues?

Guy barely misses any games (with the exception of 2014-15 season) and will be fully recovered by the beginning of the year.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008

Guy barely misses any games (with the exception of 2014-15 season) and will be fully recovered by the beginning of the year.

Well you have to either blame his taking a lot of games off last season on injuries or not giving enough of a ****. Neither is a good sign. I'm hoping it was injuries and he is healthy this season.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Yeah I think his health issues are being overblown here.

I find myself in an odd spot here. I'm all over Sweeney for utterly failing to put together even a competent NHL defense, so I'd love to add Shattenkirk. I also acknowledge that Krejci is probably a hair overpaid for a hair too long. But I can also admit that if we are down a goal, I want the puck on Krejci's stick 100% of the time. Losing that will hurt this team a ton, and people are casually overlooking that. The matchups that Bergeron and Marchand get now because of Krejci's talent will be lost, and that surely won't be replaced by the likes of David Backes or Ryan Spooner.

So end of the day I hate this defense so much I'd still strongly consider this deal, but it could easily be a net loss. Losing Krejci would hurt a lot.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Because as we seen last year, a healthy fresh Krejci and a banged up worn down Krejci look like two different players.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Because as we seen last year, a healthy fresh Krejci and a banged up worn down Krejci look like two different players.

That can be said about anyone though.

Fact remains, even a 80% healthy DK is still arguably our most creative offensive player. He does stuff in the neutral zone that looks so effortless and can create anything himself.

Again, you take him away and I 100% believe Bergeron's line would suffer...not only that, but if Bergeron gets hurt we'd be screwed with Spooner/Backes.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Agreed completely. Feel like that's always been the case with him.

The issue is that this team has never had real success without the healthy Krejci. So if he's gone for good, can they win? Can they generate offense when Bergeron and Marchand start to see checking lines? Can they score when Spooner gets the top 2 d-pairings and not the 3rd?

Ultimately these are probably better problems to have than icing a defense with one legit top 3, one legit top 4 and the rest bottom pairing guys. Tough pill to swallow though if ever came true.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Yeah I think his health issues are being overblown here.

I find myself in an odd spot here. I'm all over Sweeney for utterly failing to put together even a competent NHL defense, so I'd love to add Shattenkirk. I also acknowledge that Krejci is probably a hair overpaid for a hair too long. But I can also admit that if we are down a goal, I want the puck on Krejci's stick 100% of the time. Losing that will hurt this team a ton, and people are casually overlooking that. The matchups that Bergeron and Marchand get now because of Krejci's talent will be lost, and that surely won't be replaced by the likes of David Backes or Ryan Spooner.

So end of the day I hate this defense so much I'd still strongly consider this deal, but it could easily be a net loss. Losing Krejci would hurt a lot.

It's a tough spot for sure, but that's the place this team finds itself.

I'm a Krejci guy, but other than Rask - who can you move?

Are they better with Shatenkirk with Bergeron Backes, Spooner and Nash at center?

or staying pat with whats missed the playoffs the last 2 seasons?

If they move krecji, they'd have more money to make another deal for a center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad