GDT: Sharks vs Sabres in Buffalo 4:30pm PDT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
In order for someone to be re-called someone else would have to come off the roster. McLellan doesn't make those decisions, Wilson does.

The cap isn't an issue at all, roster space is.

I feel like the interaction should be Tmac saying he needs to cycle in fresh skaters and then DW works out the kinks. Plays the IR game the waiver game and whatever else.

Although it seems that we have too many 1 way contracts, yes?

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
He blanked the Hurricanes. Big deal. Quit while you're ahead and start your damn starter.

It was a big deal given the circumstances, but you are right that the decision to start him again was playing with fire. And they got burned. You're not the only one who raised an eyebrow at that coaching decision.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Management said the younger players would be given more opportunities. This was one of the first cases where that was true. So you can either commend them for it, or damn them for rolling the dice. but you can't do both.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Management said the younger players would be given more opportunities. This was one of the first cases where that was true. So you can either commend them for it, or damn them for rolling the dice. but you can't do both.

Sure one of the first

Other than the rookie top 4 d-man
And the 2 sophomores in the top 6
And the rookie 3rd line winger
And the rookie 3rd line center that has already been sent back after impressing
And the rookie 4th line winger

Grosenick isn't one of the young players that statement was about. He is a too-green callup necessitated by injury to our actual young opportunist at that position.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sure one of the first

Grosenick isn't one of the young players that statement was about. He is a too-green callup necessitated by injury to our actual young opportunist at that position.

Sure he was not the intended target of those comments but in reality, it was the right decision to make. A kid pitches a shutout in his first game deserves a second game. It really is as simple as that but if you need to go further, there's nothing wrong with using that as an excuse to rest Niemi. It's been a long road trip and the time to use any excuse to sit Niemi is now when it's still early in the year.

It was the right decision for multiple reasons. The team will be better off for it in the long run not overusing Niemi this early in the season on a tight schedule.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
For all the focus on the weak defense, some attention needs to be given to how disappointing the offense has been. For reference, here is a list of Sharks forwards who are producing at a lower pace this season than they did last season:

Thornton
Pavelski
Marleau
Couture
Wingels
Hertl
Nieto
Desjardins
Kennedy *only played 8 games so far this season

Here is the list of forwards performing at a better pace than last year:

Sheppard
Burish *only played 15 games last season, so his whopping 3 this season is already 3 more than he had last season.

For whatever praise is given to a few of these guys for playing hard so far this season, that only goes so far, eventually you need to be putting up some points.

Hertl has been massively disappointing, and Marleau needs to get his **** together. Marleau only has 1 goal in the last 16 games and only 2 5v5 goals on the season. The guy has been remarkable steady his career, and at 35 if this is going to be the start of any type of age related decline fine, but he still needs to be producing better than this.

We are through a quarter of the season now. The sample size is growing and the numbers aren't getting much better. I'm hoping the end of the road heavy schedule will help things pick up.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The road schedule is likely the reason why that is. A lot of their issues involve sloppy execution and that can definitely be attributed to fatigue and lack of practice. We'll find out pretty much starting next week if that's the case or if the team just sucks to this level. I just have a hard time believing that they do considering the players involved. Are they a top team? No but they're better than what they're showing, imo.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
The road schedule is likely the reason why that is. A lot of their issues involve sloppy execution and that can definitely be attributed to fatigue and lack of practice. We'll find out pretty much starting next week if that's the case or if the team just sucks to this level. I just have a hard time believing that they do considering the players involved. Are they a top team? No but they're better than what they're showing, imo.

Might be because of the road schedule, I would be inclined to think thats a heavy influence, but can't really say with any certainty for a couple of weeks. I'm optimistic that things will pick up soon. Its just very disappointing. I think everyone anticipated defensive struggles, but I didn't anticipate the team wide offensive decline to start the season, but I wasn't factoring in the road schedule in my expectations.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
For all the focus on the weak defense, some attention needs to be given to how disappointing the offense has been. For reference, here is a list of Sharks forwards who are producing at a lower pace this season than they did last season:

Thornton
Pavelski
Marleau
Couture
Wingels
Hertl
Nieto
Desjardins
Kennedy *only played 8 games so far this season

Here is the list of forwards performing at a better pace than last year:

Sheppard
Burish *only played 15 games last season, so his whopping 3 this season is already 3 more than he had last season.

For whatever praise is given to a few of these guys for playing hard so far this season, that only goes so far, eventually you need to be putting up some points.

Hertl has been massively disappointing, and Marleau needs to get his **** together. Marleau only has 1 goal in the last 16 games and only 2 5v5 goals on the season. The guy has been remarkable steady his career, and at 35 if this is going to be the start of any type of age related decline fine, but he still needs to be producing better than this.

We are through a quarter of the season now. The sample size is growing and the numbers aren't getting much better. I'm hoping the end of the road heavy schedule will help things pick up.

On the offense decline, I attribute that to the blue line. Offense is created five on five. If you play good skating two way d men who can pinch and be creative you will generate lots of offense. If you ice slow footed got to skate back even before a transition, the o cycle will be broken before it starts.

Five on five balance is needed to contend.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Sure one of the first

Your list has little to do with my comment, as I'm talking about this season and the speeches DW has given about giving youth a bigger role. Before you try to jump down my throat, I have never once agreed with DW's approach, and i've said several times, this year is no different then last when they gave a ton of ice to rookies.

Anyway, Grosenick is 25. Niemi is 31 and UFA after this season. Management is looking at what they have in the pipeline. Wilson said this is a tomorrow team. He's seeing what's in store for tomorrow. He doesn't care about beating the Sabres. Sharks are cutting bait and cutting costs. They're now $600k above Florida in cap spending. Think about that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad