Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Tyler Toffoli to 4 year deal 6M AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose
This deal would have been very good for three years as then near deadline or even earlier could have taken back 50% for the rest of the year and gotten a 2nd easily if he is playing well. A Cap team could afford 20 to 30 games of pay. At Four years a good not great deal for the Sharks.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Okay, I'm not a big fan of this signing. It doesn't make sense. At 32 years old, he doesn't serve our long term goal. The full NMC prevents you from trading him for younger assets. He's very productive, perhaps too productive, so that will hurt our drafting position when we're rebuilding by adding high draft picks. He would make sense on a playoff-bound team, not a last place team.

He might help the growth of a young center like Smith and/or Celebrini. This shows that Grier wants to put an emphasis on developing Smith and Celebrini even if it lowers our draft picks talent-wise the next 3-4 years.

Personally, I think a signing like this makes sense a couple of years from now. But signing Tyler Toffoli this year might hurt our chances at getting Hagens and the elite McKenna or other top talents.
If you added McDavid, Makar, and Hellebuyck to this roster, we might be able to squeak into the playoffs. Might.

Toffoli will not materially impact the Sharks' drafting position. We will be a bottom three team next year and pick in the top 5.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
If you added McDavid, Makar, and Hellebuyck to this roster, we might be able to squeak into the playoffs. Might.

Toffoli will not materially impact the Sharks' drafting position. We will be a bottom three team next year and pick in the top 5.
And if we somehow improve beyond that point, that means that BOTH Macklin Celebrini and Will Smith are superstar elite players and we shouldn't care about not tanking because we should be adding this time next year to compete for the playoffs.

Not a likely scenario, but if we're somehow not picking in the top 5, then that means really good things.

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
I first had to take a deep breath and get past the image burned into my mind of him wearing silver and black…

Seems to me like a good deal all the way around. He should bring some stability that’ll help with bringing in the next generation of kids!

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Okay, I'm not a big fan of this signing. It doesn't make sense. At 32 years old, he doesn't serve our long term goal. The full NMC prevents you from trading him for younger assets. He's very productive, perhaps too productive, so that will hurt our drafting position when we're rebuilding by adding high draft picks. He would make sense on a playoff-bound team, not a last place team.

He might help the growth of a young center like Smith and/or Celebrini. This shows that Grier wants to put an emphasis on developing Smith and Celebrini even if it lowers our draft picks talent-wise the next 3-4 years.

Personally, I think a signing like this makes sense a couple of years from now. But signing Tyler Toffoli this year might hurt our chances at getting Hagens and the elite McKenna or other top talents.
I would have preferred not having to do a full NMC, but I can understand why this particular player would have mandated wanting one. Ideally, I'd have wanted someone we could flip in a few years when someone like Musty, Chernyshov, or Haltunen is ready to take his spot, but I guess we can move him down to the third line when that time comes.

But yes, the top priority of this year's team is to develop Celebrini and Smith. The faster they develop, the sooner players will want to come play here.

Inflation has been tough on all of us....😉

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
I wonder why TSN refuses to acknowledge Tyler Toffoli to Sharks...

1719876177980.png

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Great add, probably won't be worth it in the last 1-2 years of this deal, but who cares. Presumably he'll be stapled to Celebrini these next 2 seasons and will contribute on the PP. When you suck ass, gotta give to get. Strong work by Grier here

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Very surprised and happy with this signing. 4 years is probably longer than you'd want - but given the rate the cap is meant to be going up over the next few years, I don't think it'll impact the Sharks too much - unless there is another global pandemic to flatten the cap again.

Zetterlund - Granlund - Eklund
Couture - Celebrini - Toffoli

This is a solid top 6.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I love the player, but not this contract. Lower the term or AAV and it'd be alright. This is... Not great. He'll be a good player for us though.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I love the player, but not this contract. Lower the term or AAV and it'd be alright. This is... Not great. He'll be a good player for us though
The only year that matters imo is the 4th year when they have to pay Celebrini and Smith. The first 3 years should be fine I'd think.

Reactions: CanadienShark

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
The only year that matters imo is the 4th year when they have to pay Celebrini and Smith. The first 3 years should be fine I'd think.
Fortunately, the cap ceiling should be over $100m in three years. Not to mention Couture and Vlasic’s contract will be done. As well as the retained money on Burns and Karlsson. As well as Jones’ buyout hit. Almost ~$22m in cap space.

Reactions: tiburon12 and DG93

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Fortunately, the cap ceiling should be over $100m in three years. Not to mention Couture and Vlasic’s contract will be done. As well as the retained money on Burns and Karlsson. As well as Jones’ buyout hit. Almost ~$22m in cap space.
Totally, not to mention Granlund, Rutta, Vanecek, Blackwood, Sturm, and Kostin all coming off as well after this year

Reactions: TealManV

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Totally, not to mention Granlund, Rutta, Vanecek, Blackwood, Sturm, and Kostin all coming off as well after this year
Also, if Toffoli falls off the proverbial cliff in the third year of this deal, his buyout isn’t terrible. $2m for ‘27-‘28 and ‘28-‘29. So the Sharks could save $4m in cap space that final year of his deal while opening up a roster spot.

(It felt strange to write years that are that far in the future)

Last edited:
Reactions: DG93

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I love the player, but not this contract. Lower the term or AAV and it'd be alright. This is... Not great. He'll be a good player for us though.
If you don't give that fourth year, though, there's no way you get the player if you're the Sharks. I'd say it's worth it to get a player of this caliber to play with Celebrini and Smith. We're also talking about someone who probably can still be a useful power play contributor in a few years, so even if he has to drop down the lineup at 5v5, he could still be somewhat helpful to the team.

SJFanQC

Dec 14, 2010
Laval

Things mentioned among others:
- He's excited to help Celebrini along as they also have the same agent
- Him and his wife last night pretty much knew they were going to sign here today
- Was with Goodrow a couple days ago and talking about the Sharks

Last edited:
Reactions: drunksage

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
If you don't give that fourth year, though, there's no way you get the player if you're the Sharks. I'd say it's worth it to get a player of this caliber to play with Celebrini and Smith. We're also talking about someone who probably can still be a useful power play contributor in a few years, so even if he has to drop down the lineup at 5v5, he could still be somewhat helpful to the team.
Yeah I'm not upset, just don't really like this contract. I loved him in Montreal and dare I say, was jealous that LA had him when they were really good. His impact on our team will be good on the ice.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yeah I'm not upset, just don't really like this contract. I loved him in Montreal and dare I say, was jealous that LA had him when they were really good. His impact on our team will be good on the ice.
I mentioned earlier in the thread but I actually don’t mind the fourth year for one simple reason: the wingers who will replace him by then will be on ELCs. Whether it’s Musty, Halttunen, Chernyshov, or someone else, one of those guys will be on an ELC in the top-6, meaning there’s plenty of space for Toffoli to make $6M on the third line. Hell, $6M might even be third line money by that time.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon

I understand we need more talent, but that needs to happen naturally with how the team is going from this point on. When we drafted Celebrini, I think that's where the intensional tanking ends.
By signing Toffoli we aren't getting that much better, so now it's just babysteps forward to get better for Celebrini and Smith.

We can't just throw Celebrini and Smith to the wolves.

Hoping to be last place two years from now isn't the direction the team needs to be moving now. We don't want to be the next Buffalo

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
For anyone who is concerned about the 4th year of the deal needs to realize the Sharks now have a total of $7.5 million committed to players in that final year.

Toffoli $6 million
Hertl Rentention $1.5 million

It will not be a problem to work around this deal even if his play falls off a cliff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad