Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Tyler Toffoli to 4 year deal 6M AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

JTB1974

Oct 16, 2022
Could he be a trade piece at the deadline for more draft picks if he has a solid season but Sharks are near the bottom? Or does the 4 years make that very unlikely?

Reactions: Baysick

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Could he be a trade piece at the deadline for more draft picks if he has a solid season but Sharks are near the bottom? Or does the 4 years make that very unlikely?
He's not getting traded until 2027 at the earliest, more likely 2028 if he's at all in demand and the Sharks are out of the race.

Crankshaft Mechanic

Jun 27, 2024
I know nothing, but along with generally adding much needed talent, signing Toffoli also feels like a move to specifically give Macklin a dependable finisher on his line. I imagine they saw what Bedard worked with last season in Chicago and didn't want Celebrini to have to draw blood from a stone.

If he is still deciding on whether to sign join the team this year, this would really help.

Reactions: Nth Turtle Reborn

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Oh no, Doug Wilson is back!

Toffoli will probably not be worth $6M in that last year, but we’ll have guys like Musty, Halttunen, Chernyshov, etc. pushing for top-6 spots by that point on ELCs so Toffoli at $6M in a third line role won’t be a problem.

Now we see why Grier claimed Goodrow. It plants the seeds for him to do the same thing to Toffoli in 3 years. :sarcasm:

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
With how much he has bounced around I think he was willing to sacrifice some dollars for 4 years with a NMC.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
Okay, I'm not a big fan of this signing. It doesn't make sense. At 32 years old, he doesn't serve our long term goal. The full NMC prevents you from trading him for younger assets. He's very productive, perhaps too productive, so that will hurt our drafting position when we're rebuilding by adding high draft picks. He would make sense on a playoff-bound team, not a last place team.

He might help the growth of a young center like Smith and/or Celebrini. This shows that Grier wants to put an emphasis on developing Smith and Celebrini even if it lowers our draft picks talent-wise the next 3-4 years.

Personally, I think a signing like this makes sense a couple of years from now. But signing Tyler Toffoli this year might hurt our chances at getting Hagens and the elite McKenna or other top talents.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Okay, I'm not a big fan of this signing. It doesn't make sense. At 32 years old, he doesn't serve our long term goal. The full NMC prevents you from trading him for younger assets. He's very productive, perhaps too productive, so that will hurt our drafting position when we're rebuilding by adding high draft picks. He would make sense on a playoff-bound team, not a last place team.

He might help the growth of a young center like Smith and/or Celebrini. This shows that Grier wants to put an emphasis on developing Smith and Celebrini even if it lowers our draft picks talent-wise the next 3-4 years.

Personally, I think a signing like this makes sense a couple of years from now. But signing Tyler Toffoli this year might hurt our chances at getting Hagens and the elite McKenna or other top talents.
The Sharks have a franchise C so the need to completely bottom out and win the lottery is not needed especially at the expense of developing Celebrini and Smith.

The Sharks also got a borderline 1D this season. They could grab one in the draft but you don’t have to pick top 5 to grab that franchise 1D.

Developing Celebrini and Smith should be the number 1 priority at this point because if those players bust it doesn’t matter. If Toffoli helps the push the Sharks down to the 10th overall pick but helps Celebrini and/or Smith develop and push for 60/70 points then that is absolutely worth more than them tanking again for a lottery pick and those two waste a year of development with Kunin and Goodrow as linemates.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010

Just remember how far we were behind other teams in the standings this year. This Sharks team could win a dozen more games the coming season--which would be quite the improvement!--and still be in the race for the #1 pick, or at least a top 3/5 pick.

I just don't see the concern here based on only adding Toffoli and not spending recklessly. Do you really want Celebrini and Smith to basically be 18/19 year-olds who have the weight of the franchise on their shoulders with barely any help? It feels like a recipe for disaster, like a team that will end up just spinning their wheels and never properly building anything.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023

I wonder if Toffoli is the difference between a meaningfully more successful season. I don't think we were looking at scraping the absolute bottom unless we run into injury troubles which will happen regardless. But it does help the young playmakers a lot.

DoubleOT

Jan 5, 2017
San Jose, CA
I love this signing, great add to the forward group! Good money, term is ok, seems like a good fit. Veteran presence who can score, still has productive years in him.

If they can improve on D they may be perilously close to icing an NHL team come October.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020

I understand we need more talent, but that needs to happen naturally with how the team is going from this point on. When we drafted Celebrini, I think that's where the intensional tanking ends.
By signing Toffoli we aren't getting that much better, so now it's just babysteps forward to get better for Celebrini and Smith.

aircobra

May 4, 2013
At 32 years old, he doesn't serve our long term goal.

He does when it comes to not screwing up Mack's development. That's the only goal that should be worried about this off-season. They're not worried about signing guys that will be part of what they hope is a return to winning. That will happen in future off-seasons. The point is to not hand out 6-7 year contracts like Wilson would do.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Toffoli will probably not be worth $6M in that last year, but we’ll have guys like Musty, Halttunen, Chernyshov, etc. pushing for top-6 spots by that point on ELCs so Toffoli at $6M in a third line role won’t be a problem.
Biggest part of this signing is to see the structure of the pay. I would assume Toffoli would push for a heavy signing bonus laden deal (particularly at the end), but would be nice if it was just a straight $6M a year in salary for 4 years that can be bought out in Year 4 when it starts to likely look bad.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
If nobody has record worst win totals next season (sharks and hawks both had them), the sharks could still win another 13 or so games next season and still be comfortably in last place.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Biggest part of this signing is to see the structure of the pay. I would assume Toffoli would push for a heavy signing bonus laden deal (particularly at the end), but would be nice if it was just a straight $6M a year in salary for 4 years that can be bought out in Year 4 when it starts to likely look bad.
I actually think Toffoli will end up playing out his full contract here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad