Friedman: Sharks, Sens have talked about an Erik Karlsson reunion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Not super aware with the Ottawa dynamics but why is there a lack of confidence in signing these two?
He's guessing as no one really knows. No info has surfaced. So, we don't know contract expectations for either player.

It wouldn't be easy to pull it off to sign both from a cap perspective, but it could be done with a fair amount of juggling and taking on some risk And it depends to some degree on whether its a $83.5 m versus a $86.6 m cap. But, generally, Senator fans have low expectations given history so that could have something to do with it. Those are my guesses fwiw.

I can't see EK back in Ottawa. Ottawa needs defenders that can defend much more than an offensive type defensemen, and EK hardly fits the age bracket of the rest of the Senator's core. Then there's the cap issues, and what assets it would take to get Karlsson. When you add all that up, this sure seems unlikely. Senator fans are desperate right now and the team definitely needs another good defender. Plus, there's the nostalgia factor at work here.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
Would only do it with 50% retention

Send brannstrom to the sharks and a first rounder or two 2nd

SensFan4lyfe

Nov 2, 2022
no we need to keep losing were not a play off team and Karlson doesnt make us one

Tank now go for bedard

Dorion is a f***ing idiot if he does this trade my god

this is such a shitty team to be a fan of management wise

Reactions: hn777

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
I think this offer could work ...

Sharks offer: Karlsson

Sens aquire Dylan Demolo and Chris Tierney from current respective teams.

Sens offer:
Norris, 1st your pick (unconditional), Tierney, Demelo

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Not super aware with the Ottawa dynamics but why is there a lack of confidence in signing these two?
Zub probably wants to cash in, I don't blame him, it could be his one big chance as he's not a young kid. I don't mind overpaying as we need him.

DeBrincat can't be lost for 2 years, as he's an RFA after this season. If it looks like he'll be hard to sign, or the Sens decide that money is best spent on defense due to having lots of good forwards, they could look to trade the Cat at the trade deadline or in the off season. The deadline trade could be to a team that wants to win this cup this year or next year, that needs scoring to compete. Hopefully for an up and coming prospect stud defenseman, maybe a top goalie prospect too.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I think brining EK back will be dependant on the future ownership team. Lots of rumours that Alfie is involved with some new ownership group which would help.

I'd personally be all for brining EK back, I would take on his salary instead of extending Debrincat.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
While we're at it, what's Colin Greening up to? Hell Alfie was just in town, does he still skate? Let's get the band back together.
sorry brother last i heard, Colin Greening is working as an offshore crab fisherman and Alfredsson hates The Melnyk's and isnt rich enough to buy the Sens

• Wow
Reactions: PullHard

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Its such an obvious win-win situation.
Bring in a third team to lower his salary to $2,875,000 and its a no brainer. Sens can toss them a few young D (Thomson & Brännström) and a pick (2nd/3rd if needed) and call it a day.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Bring in a third team to lower his salary to $2,875,000 and its a no brainer. Sens can toss them a few young D (Thomson & Brännström) and a pick (2nd/3rd if needed) and call it a day.

He has 5 years on his contract. You aren't finding a third team to do retention and is SJS even willing to retain 50%?

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Doubt that gets a third team to retain

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Was an incredible player and a treat to watch and cheer for but this is not the right fit for this team at this point.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
He has 5 years on his contract. You aren't finding a third team to do retention and is SJS even willing to retain 50%?
I'd also guess that the Sharks wouldn't retain 50% and only want Brannstrom & a 3rd back either. Sweet dreams are made of these.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
As a Sharks fan I would be fine trading Karlsson @ 50% retention for Zaitsev and calling it a day. Realistically though I think Karlsson with 25% retained (bringing the cap hit down to 8.625M) for Zaitsev, Joseph and a couple of conditional draft picks is a fair basis for a deal.

This does seem like more of an offseason move though, once the Sens have sorted out what's going to happen with DeBrincat and Zub.

• Haha
Reactions: Patty Ice

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't see Ottawa as being a fit unless Zub walks and Zaitsev doesn't have San Jose on his no-trade list. I don't find the odds of both those things being true to be very good but Grier would be doing the right thing to listen and see what Ottawa would want to do if they have interest in acquiring Karlsson regardless. I can't imagine that 50% retention is on the table but if it is, it will cost something that Ottawa won't want to part with. I honestly think Montreal makes more sense in trying to acquire Karlsson because they have more flexibility in terms of cap space and players to return to that help the cap dollars balance out. Issue is that Montreal probably doesn't have interest in adding to compete for a playoff spot at this stage.

A lot of this also depends on how Karlsson feels about the situation in San Jose. I bet it sucks for him but it doesn't seem like he'd take the first opportunity literally anywhere else in the league at this stage so it's going to have to be a place that interests him. If he only wants to go back to Ottawa and won't accept anything else similar to how Marleau only wanted to go back to San Jose when Toronto was through with him, it could make for a very dicey situation if Ottawa isn't willing to play ball on the return (which is their right given the leverage involved there).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad