Speculation: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
There's a lot of reasons not to claim him for various on and off ice reasons but Ribiero would be a good 3C to claim.

anthonyyy

Aug 11, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Offensively, yeah he would be nice to have on the 3rd line. But he has attitude issues and is horrible defensively. Seriously, would you want a player that complains and asks for a trade when his team is winning and in a playoff spot?

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Ribeiro has a 53.1% CF on the season...he'd be a huge upgrade both offensively and defensively on Tierney. I don't think people realize Tierney is one of the very worst defensive forwards in the league.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Ribeiro has a 53.1% CF on the season...he'd be a huge upgrade both offensively and defensively on Tierney. I don't think people realize Tierney is one of the very worst defensive forwards in the league.

No he wouldn't. Do you ever watch games or do you just use random stats? Have you looked at the teams? Or the fact that Ribeiro has very sheltered minutes.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
With the amount of lockroom issues Ribeiro has had over the years, I want nothing to do with him. I would rather trade for Hanzal over him, and I don't think Hanzal is a good fit for what the team is building towards.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
**** anyone who wants Ribeiro. That's my opinion.

And that's before the fact that he's also bad at hockey.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
No he wouldn't. Do you ever watch games or do you just use random stats? Have you looked at the teams? Or the fact that Ribeiro has very sheltered minutes.

He's having a bad season by his standards but still has 10 more points than Tierney this season and more points than all but 5 Sharks players this season. His 5v5 P/60 pace is better than everyone on the team except Burns and Couture.

Of course he plays sheltered minutes, so does Tierney. That's the role we would play him in. What, you think he's gonna be a shutdown center? He'd be a soft minutes 3rd line scoring center between Donskoi and either Meier, Labanc or Ward.

I'm fine with people not wanting Ribeiro due to his off-ice record but he's objectively better than Tierney.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
With the amount of lockroom issues Ribeiro has had over the years, I want nothing to do with him. I would rather trade for Hanzal over him, and I don't think Hanzal is a good fit for what the team is building towards.

Not just lockerroom issues, but domestic and substance issues. The guy isn't worth the potential headache.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
He's having a bad season by his standards but still has 10 more points than Tierney this season and more points than all but 5 Sharks players this season. His 5v5 P/60 pace is better than everyone on the team except Burns and Couture.

Of course he plays sheltered minutes, so does Tierney. That's the role we would play him in. What, you think he's gonna be a shutdown center? He'd be a soft minutes 3rd line scoring center between Donskoi and either Meier, Labanc or Ward.

I'm fine with people not wanting Ribeiro due to his off-ice record but he's objectively better than Tierney.

The fact that Nashville waived Ribeiro without a second thought, despite his point production, and that they're in a playoff position tells me all I need to know. DO NOT WANT.

I'm all for finding an upgrade on Tierney at 3C, but regardless of whatever stats you want to put forward, Ribeiro does not make this team better in my eyes.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
The fact that Nashville waived Ribeiro without a second thought, despite his point production, and that they're in a playoff position tells me all I need to know. DO NOT WANT.

I'm all for finding an upgrade on Tierney at 3C, but regardless of whatever stats you want to put forward, Ribeiro does not make this team better in my eyes.

He got waived because he told management he didn't want to play for the team anymore. He is absolutely better than Tierney at every aspect of the game no matter how you want to slice it. No one is saying he's a good guy or something.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
He got waived because he told management he didn't want to play for the team anymore. He is absolutely better than Tierney at every aspect of the game no matter how you want to slice it. No one is saying he's a good guy or something.

You realize all of his off-ice issue make him worse than Tierney as far as the team goes, right? There are plenty of examples where a player or two can upset a lockroom and cause a team to under-perform.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay

I'm plenty aware of his circumstances. You'll notice I didn't argue whether or not Ribeiro is better/worse than Tierney. I said that Nashville clearly doesn't value his contribution enough to put up with his off-ice personality, and that IN MY OPINION I don't think he'd make the Sharks a better team.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
This has been my opinion all along. With Schlemko as the anchor on the bottom pairing I am confident enough that both DeMelo and Heed would work well with him. Or even Mueller.

Honestly, DeMelo has not looked that sharp this year. I would play Mueller or Heed over him.

I agree 100%, have not thought highly of Demelo this year. I also am shocked that people want to head into the playoffs with bottom pairing featuring one of DeMelo, Mueller or Heed. After the way Polack was dominated in the SCF last year and the impact that had on the series I'm not comfortable with any of these guys in that spot full time.

Would have needed to see much more of them so far to be willing to part with an established D-man. Could they fill that spot, potentially. Would I bet on it, probably not yet.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Tierney isnt sheltered. Ribiero is sheltered. Even with those differences a 6 point difference 5v5? Eh. Less than 2% difference in FF. Eh.

Im having a hard time seei g why wed grab him.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They can't afford to claim Ribeiro. Where do you think the Sharks would come up with 3.5 million in cap space to do it?

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
They can't afford to claim Ribeiro. Where do you think the Sharks would come up with 3.5 million in cap space to do it?

I'm fairly certain this is an effort to prove to Riberio that no one wants him so he quits being a whiner and puts more effort in.

Given that, I certainly dont want him.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I honestly don't give a **** if Tierney is worse than Ribeiro or whatever.

I just do not want Ribeiro on this team. Period.

I usually don't give strong absolute opinions in regards to hockey, but I will condemn his addition to the team from the minute it happens if we claim him. And we won't claim him.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I honestly don't give a **** if Tierney is worse than Ribeiro or whatever.

I just do not want Ribeiro on this team. Period.

I usually don't give strong absolute opinions in regards to hockey, but I will condemn his addition to the team from the minute it happens if we claim him.

Reminds me of when I came down hard on Torres. I said he's a ******* piece of crap who can't stay healthy and will be an albatross and I got pretty much drowned out around here with all the 'optimism'. There are things to be optimistic about, Raffi Torres and Mike Ribiero do not qualify.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Reminds me of when I came down hard on Torres. I said he's a ******* piece of crap who can't stay healthy and will be an albatross and I got pretty much drowned out around here with all the 'optimism'. There are things to be optimistic about, Raffi Torres and Mike Ribiero do not qualify.

I felt that way about the Bieksa rumors. Had DW acquired Bieksa, I would not cheer for the Sharks until he was off the team.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Mike Ribiero? I've lived in the Dallas area now for over seven years (ugh) and I always, strongly, felt that Ribiero and Ott were both huge cancers to the Stars and they weren't ever going to go anywhere until they moved on from them. I like to think I was somewhat right.

Hard pass on Ribiero IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad