Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Megathread XXI: "New, improved, and wayyyy too much info" Edition

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Vancouver Giants throttled Prince Albert 10-1 tonight.

1) I have to imagine that watching this as a Giants fan is what it's like for all the other teams playing the Sharks. It's weird on the other side of the equation.

2) Colton Roberts had no points and was only a +1. #Shorks

Reactions: Gecklund

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Bust confirmed.

I know you're just joking, but a little bit of more semi-serious analysis: He does have 6 assists in 8 games so far, but he's also felt a bit slow out of the gate because he missed a good chunk of training camp, the pre-season, and the first couple of games of the regular season because he was at Sharks camp.

The other thing that's kind of hurting him is that he was probably originally cast as the team's undisputed #2 d-man behind team captain Mazden Leslie, but he's kind of had that job stolen by the breakout of a 16-year-old rookie named Ryan Lin. Lin plays on the top pairing with Leslie at even strength, but has been good enough and comfortable enough moving the puck that he's pretty much been handed the PP2 QB duties and now Roberts is relegated to "the guy least involved in the offence because he's there to cover for everyone else if there's a turnover."

That said his pro future is mostly dependent on him working defensively so maybe I shouldn't be too worried about that. He's been OK defensively I think, but is still a little uneven.

And he did do this a couple weeks ago

So..... shrug.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I know you're just joking, but a little bit of more semi-serious analysis: He does have 6 assists in 8 games so far, but he's also felt a bit slow out of the gate because he missed a good chunk of training camp, the pre-season, and the first couple of games of the regular season because he was at Sharks camp.

The other thing that's kind of hurting him is that he was probably originally cast as the team's undisputed #2 d-man behind team captain Mazden Leslie, but he's kind of had that job stolen by the breakout of a 16-year-old rookie named Ryan Lin. Lin plays on the top pairing with Leslie at even strength, but has been good enough and comfortable enough moving the puck that he's pretty much been handed the PP2 QB duties and now Roberts is relegated to "the guy least involved in the offence because he's there to cover for everyone else if there's a turnover."

That said his pro future is mostly dependent on him working defensively so maybe I shouldn't be too worried about that. He's been OK defensively I think, but is still a little uneven.

And he did do this a couple weeks ago

So..... shrug.

Oh definitely joking. I like Roberts. Fun toolsy type guy. Don’t think he has much of an NHL future but hey people are getting mad at me in the roster thread for thinking Thrun has an NHL future so what do I know?

• Haha
Reactions: Star Platinum

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Oh definitely joking. I like Roberts. Fun toolsy type guy. Don’t think he has much of an NHL future but hey people are getting mad at me in the roster thread for thinking Thrun has an NHL future so what do I know?

I think Roberts' development is going to be a bit of a referendum/test case for how much you can teach guys to think and read the game well enough if they don't have high innate hockey sense. Because he has all the tools, he just still makes questionable choices. Maybe that improves if he gets force-fed tougher situations and can work through them with feedback. Or maybe they can teach him a simplified decision tree that limits how much he has to "think". Or maybe it's all futile and he'll never process the game well enough to take that next step. Because if you take away the hockey sense issues, he's a 6'3/6'4 smooth skating defender who can keep up with skilled forwards, make breakout and outlet passes, and get his shot on net.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Cross-post of my summary of Grier's surprise presser b/c he said some things about Cagnoni, Haltunnen, Askarov, Musty, and of course Macklin and Will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad