Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Megathread XXI: "New, improved, and wayyyy too much info" Edition

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Chris Peters’ review of Dickinson, the only Canadian defensemen mentioned in his standouts for Canada White vs Finland today:

Sam Dickinson, D (SJS)​

There were some good and bad moments for Dickinson in the game. A couple of times I thought he needed to be a little more urgent with his decisions. That said, he finished with three points and was one of Canada's most noticeable defensemen in both ends of the ice. He scored a power-play goal and looked comfortable at all stages of the game. He got sucked into a few bad penalties by Finland, but it ultimately didn't cost his team. The skating ability really stands out when you see him with fellow high-end prospects. It's definitely a plus trait for him.
Ended up ejected from the game for “unsportsmanlike conduct”, not sure exactly what happened but there was some drama between Canada Red and Sweden yesterday so maybe the Canadian squad as a whole has a burr under the saddle or something.

Sounds like classic Sam otherwise. Supposedly Canada Red is comprised of guys with the inside track, so maybe Dickinson is on the outside looking in. Good that he stood out for White today, but maybe not that he took a bad penalty. :laugh:

Another review from the main boards:
Dickinson- beautiful skater, just effortless. He picked up a couple secondary assists and had a nice goal. But on the on the whole, the Canadian D really struggled at times. Dickinson had a really bad turnover in front of his net that should of resulted in a goal, but I thought he was the best of the Canadian D. But if he is making this team, it will be more in a shutdown role.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Dickinson looked awesome. I had stopped watching prior to his ejection but I do know he was chirping Kuusla from their respective penalty boxes earlier in the game.

I echo what Chris wrote. His skating looked really, really good. His decision making with his passing is a bit baffling, specifically when breaking the puck out. Unforced errors and icings when he has tons of ice ahead of him to skate and delay with his feet while opening an option, but he doesn’t. Feels like he either rushes or passes the puck, but really needs to connect both skills to find the right play.

Good defensive awareness though with multiple steals throughout the game. One of them led to Canada’s 4-1 goal. Intercepted the puck and immediately transitioned it the other way for an easy 2 on 1.

All in all, dude is good just needs lots of time and coaching.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Dickinson looked awesome. I had stopped watching prior to his ejection but I do know he was chirping Kuusla from their respective penalty boxes earlier in the game.

I echo what Chris wrote. His skating looked really, really good. His decision making with his passing is a bit baffling, specifically when breaking the puck out. Unforced errors and icings when he has tons of ice ahead of him to skate and delay with his feet while opening an option, but he doesn’t. Feels like he either rushes or passes the puck, but really needs to connect both skills to find the right play.

Good defensive awareness though with multiple steals throughout the game. One of them led to Canada’s 4-1 goal. Intercepted the puck and immediately transitioned it the other way for an easy 2 on 1.

His skating is so smooth. It isn’t just “he skates well for a guy his size”. He was possibly the best skater in the entire draft who just happens to be 6’3”. His floor is so high just from his skating alone he still has to get his hands and mind to match his feet but if he does he has elite #1 potential.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Totally agree with this assessment. Particularly on the bolded, if he can remove that stuff from his game then he has a clear path to being a top pairing defenseman. But my biggest gripe all year with him is that he so often chooses sub-optimal breakout plays or has good ideas but misses the pass. It’s really the only issue I have with him, but it’s not insignificant. Really leaves me scratching my head sometimes.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010

Sounds like someone we're going to simultaneously love (god he's going to get on the nerves of opponents and opposing fans) and need a lot of patience with. These feel like the kinds of issues that are going to take several years to work through.

I guess it's a good thing we all have more than a decade of rooting for Brent Burns under our belt, and that started with the 26-year-old version of him! Hopefully Dick's timeline is a bit accelerated by comparison considering he's grown up playing as a defenseman. (Also not an ideal comparison because it seems like Burns was liked by more opposing fans than you usually see.)

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
But my biggest gripe all year with him is that he so often chooses sub-optimal breakout plays or has good ideas but misses the pass.
This is often the difference between a #1 defenseman and a #4/5 guy.

Was thinking about Rimashevsky...Isn't his statline impressive for a D+1 season (where he was very young to boot)?

Last edited:

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
This is often the difference between a #1 defenseman and a #4/5 guy.

Was thinking about Rimashevsky...Isn't his statline impressive for a D+1 season (where he was very young to boot)?
Rimashevsky was an outstanding 7th round pick. He has a legit middle six upside.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
The fact that Svoboda, despite his very underwhelming stats, gets to play in the WJSS and is loved by the scouts is encouraging.
This week's SJHN podcast was very encouraging about Svoboda. I believe he's starting at BU this fall and I'm quite intrigued to see the kind of impact he can have there. He seems to really be figuring out what he can be and that's promising for a 19-year-old.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Amazing work! I'm still reading through it all. Wow!

This confused me:

Spitserov:
Assets:Flashes skill in non-game situations, albeit not a ton of it.

Pierre sez: He's a true asset getting the team on and off busses efficiently. He also thinks he does a much better 'Ratatouille' impression than he actually does.
:sarcasm:

Last edited:
  • Haha

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Amazing work! I'm still reading through it all. Wow!

This confused me:

Spitserov:
Assets:Flashes skill in non-game situations, albeit not a ton of it.

Pierre sez: He's a true asset getting the team on and off busses efficiently. He also thinks he does a much better 'Ratatouille' impression than he actually does.
:sarcasm:

One of the scouting reports I saw on Spitserov (which I can't find now that I google it. It could've been a paragraph in a broader look at the Sharks prospect pool) talked about him showing good moves in practices and shootout drills and the like (good, but not amazing. Like he has some hands but it's not like he's hiding super-elite all-star ability), demonstrating that he has the capability, but for whatever reason he chooses not to use it at all in games.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
One of the scouting reports I saw on Spitserov (which I can't find now that I google it. It could've been a paragraph in a broader look at the Sharks prospect pool) talked about him showing good moves in practices and shootout drills and the like (good, but not amazing. Like he has some hands but it's not like he's hiding super-elite all-star ability), demonstrating that he has the capability, but for whatever reason he chooses not to use it at all in games.
Thanks for clarifying. I was legit confused.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I've mentioned it a few times that on here Spitserov should just play 3 on 3 hockey always lol He showed out a few times in that format when he came to dev camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2