Confirmed with Link: Sharks issue QOs to Coe, Bordeleau, Afanasyev, Dellandrea, Emberson, Grundstrom and Thrun

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
You mean the guy who got pretty solid reviews for his time with the Sharks last season until he got hurt? Yeah, why would the team want to keep him around.

I thought he was gonna get pushed too far down the depth chart once Mukh becomes ready and Benning came back from injury. I would rather keep him over Benning for sure though.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
That’s the same group I would have qualified. I was starting to think that Afanasyev might be let go, since he’s waive eligible and wants an NHL spot and we have like nine fourth line forwards under contract.
Afanashev is more interesting to me than most of our bottom 6 forwards. I'd like to see what he looks like with an extended chance.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
It sounds as if he’s finally been able to put it all together. I think they’re banking on that.
I honestly hope so. Always felt there was potential there. Just haven’t really seen him make much of any noise.

Todd Marchand spoke highly of Coe in a recent interview with Sheng and @Kcoyote3. Shouldn't really be surprising he was qualified.
Got it. Didn’t hear or read that interview. Well, if he thinks highly of Coe, I’ll take his word for it. Let’s see what he’s got!

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't think there's anything there with Coe but I'm alright with giving him another year or two to see if he figures it out. But if he doesn't, he's going to be moved or let go.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Todd Marchand spoke highly of Coe in a recent interview with Sheng and @Kcoyote3. Shouldn't really be surprising he was qualified.

I honestly hope so. Always felt there was potential there. Just haven’t really seen him make much of any noise.

Got it. Didn’t hear or read that interview. Well, if he thinks highly of Coe, I’ll take his word for it. Let’s see what he’s got!

I’m not sure I’d characterize what Marchand said as “speaking highly” of Coe. In essence what I heard was “we’ve been trying to get Coe to play inside the faceoff dots, instead of what had worked for him in Junior. After two full seasons of not finding success by playing the way he was comfortable, as a perimeter player, he finally decided to give what we’ve been suggesting a try, and he’s been really surprised and encouraged by the positive results”.

On the one hand, good on Coe to adjust and find success, as it probably earned him this contract. It sounded from the Marchand interview that the org felt he finished the season strong and may have turned the corner. On the other hand, WTF, dude? If the whole staff is telling you to make an adjustment to how you play if you want to get to the next level how do you go almost two full seasons in the AHL ignoring the input to the tune of crap results before thinking “hmm, maybe I should listen and implement the things that the people who are literally paid to get me to the NHL are telling me to do”. It’s a bit of a backhanded compliment from Marchand.

I’ve always thought Coe had a really interesting profile when he was drafted, a potential late round gem. So I’m hopeful he has turned the corner. But I imagine he’s been frustrating to coach and develop.

Last edited:

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I’m not sure I’d characterize what Marchand said as “speaking highly” of Coe. In essence what I heard was “we’ve been trying to get Coe to play inside the faceoff dots, instead of what had worked for him in Junior. After two full seasons of not finding success by playing the way he was comfortable, as a perimeter player, he finally decided to give what we’ve been suggesting a try, and he’s been really surprised and encouraged by the positive results”.

On the one hand, good on Coe to adjust and find success, as it probably earned him this contract. It sounded from the Marchand interview that the org felt he finished the season strong and may have turned the corner. On the other hand, WTF, dude? If the whole staff is telling you to make an adjustment to how you play if you want to get to the next level how do you go almost two full seasons in the AHL ignoring the input to the tune of crap results before thinking “hmm, maybe I should listen and implement the things that the people who are literally paid to get me to the NHL are telling me to do”. It’s a bit of a backhanded compliment from Marchand.

I’ve always thought Coe had a really interesting profile when he was drafted, a potential late round gem. So I’m hopeful he has turned the corner. But I imagine he’s been frustrating to coach and develop.
He’s had a taste of it so we should know pretty quickly if Coe has a future. He’s 22 and 6’4”. He could put on 15 or so pounds of muscle this summer. If he really wants to play in the NHL he will come back jacked, start living in the crease and going into the corners winning board battles. With his puck skills he could make a career if he starts playing the right way.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00