Sharks get away with a boarding call that nearly took out Benning.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Still shoved him from behind in the numbers when he was trying to clear the puck. Of course you're going to be off balance because you aren't expecting it. That's even more dangerous because of the vulnerable position he was in. It's that sort of stuff the league keeps saying they are trying to get rid of. I just don't get how some are thinking it was fine. I'm not saying it's a suspension. Far from it. Cross check, boarding, call it whatever you want but it still warranted a penalty and I think that's more than fair on that play.

Yeah, it absolutely warranted a penalty. Officiating has been awful this year. It was better when they were calling slightly too much than right now where they're calling not enough.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Technically it’s a crosscheck because of the stick contact, but it sure looks like Benning lost his balance moreso than being thrown forward. Unfortunate play where either a call or a non call is justifiable.

I agree, its a obvious penalty but I dont see how its a dirty hit.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
No accountability for the refs in this league. Stick them up in front of the media after every game like the players and coaches.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
NHL refs are a different level of horrible. Amazing considering how bad refs in other sports are.

ktulu98

Nov 24, 2005
slovakia
Im not a shark fan (avatar tells everything) but he almost didn't touched him. to me it seems benning wanted to sell it, but felt harder than he wanted

Reactions: Thrive
Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Im not a shark fan (avatar tells everything) but he almost didn't touched him. to me it seems benning wanted to sell it, but felt harder than he wanted
thats what happens when you're on a tight edge and someone crosschecks you from behind, it doesn't take much to go over. that's why the boarding rule exists, because this is a dangerous play.

Reactions: SJGoalie32

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Could have been called a penalty but it wasn't a dirty or bad hit.

As for the 'Cali refereeing', the Sharks have been on the bad end of boarding non-calls in recent weeks. The standard of refereeing is bad across the board.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
The hit looked harmless enough... it was a dumb/disrespectful play due to the distance from the boards but not a typical Kane dirty hit. It 100% should have been called a penalty.

For the record, it was not a dive. Benning does not an embellish... Benning was off-balance because he probably wasn't expecting to be hit like that 4 feet from the boards.

It cost us a goal but should not have cost us the game... you have to be tougher mentally and be able to handle a missed call... this is the NHL and the Oilers have dealt with this type of officiating many games this year, so they should be better at battling through this kind of adversity, This team needs to get stronger mentally. Period.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I don't give a damn about either of these teams or the players involved. What I am biased against is players dropping like they were hit from behind by a Zamboni when in reality they were barely touched.

you mean like how McGenerationalTalent snapped his head back trying to draw a high sticking call when it wasn't even close in the 3rd period?

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
But if you dont stab him and in the struggle of trying to he takes the knife and stabs himself u get off. In this case Kane gave benning at best a light push and benning either embellished or was falling already and it looked worse than it was.
No. If you attack someone with a knife you don't get off just cause...

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
That doesn't deserve an answer but yes I have. More than you know.

Just by your reaction to the play I highly doubt that. To encourage other players to do the same is dangerous (which is what a non-call does.) If plays like that happen all the time then they will be carrying them off on stretchers. Only a matter of time.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Oilers got away with an identical sequence against the Avs that led to them winning. Larrson crosschecked Mackinnon from behind at a low position into the boards. It was fine worthy EASILY. Boarding, crosschecking, interference, and illegal. No call then go onto score off the rush. Refs gifted the Oilers. Best part is the replay showed 2 officials looking straight at it, and opting to ignore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad