Sharks CORE for 2024 and Beyond

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
Who are the Sharks CORE for this year? Let's limit to the top 4-5 players. It can include a combination of the faces of a franchise, best players, highest-paid skaters, aging veterans and up-and-coming stars. Also, what will the future CORE looks like when we are ready to compete? Example Past Sharks Core: Thornton, Marleau, Palvelski, and Burns--EK65 was added on later.

This was last year CORE before we picked up Celebrini and Askarov from TSN.
Screen Shot 2024-09-05 at 4.05.45 PM.png

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
obviously celebrini and smith... I would add Eklund and Dickinson as the top 4, though Askarov could be in the top 5 too.

Mukh and musty would be the other two most exciting for me.

That said, a very solid case could be made for zetterlund in the top 4 alongside smith,celly, and eklund. Zetterlund has the making of a very good top 6 forward for many years. Hes fast, strong, and build like a tank at 5'11", 220 and he plays physical. He has already shown a great scoring ability. Hes just barely turned 25, so he has at least 5-10 prime seasons left, so I could see including him the most important core players. It's very conceivable that he could be a consistent 30g-30a guy going forward if he continues to really breakout. His upside is pretty damn good...

Reactions: bullslugg

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
My Core list.
1. Celebrini AAA
2. Smith A
3. Askarov A
4. TBA (UFA) Defenseman. I don't see any D Prospect in the system fits the Burns or EK65 calibre.
5. Dickenson B

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
My Core list.
1. Celebrini AAA
2. Smith A
3. Askarov A
4. TBA (UFA) Defenseman. I don't see any D Prospect in the system fits the Burns or EK65 calibre.
5. Dickenson B
I agree with this except I think Dickinson has a chance to develop into a more well-rounded defenseman than Sharks era EK65.

Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Fun exercise, does feel a little duplicative of the tiers exercise that Leb and Nem are running.

I can't believe Bords and Havelid were in the core in this assessment you shared. How far we've come.

• Haha
Reactions: Shark Finn

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
Fun exercise, does feel a little duplicative of the tiers exercise that Leb and Nem are running.

I can't believe Bords and Havelid were in the core in this assessment you shared. How far we've come.
Theirs are mostly about prospects in the system. This is about everyone including free agents, prospects and it's only top 5 players in the org.

Which free agent would want to sign here in 3-4 years that would be the final piece to the puzzle putting us in the Stanley Cup final? i.e. Owen Nolan or Brent Burns types of players.

Last edited:

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Honestly, it's a pretty f***ing weird list even for last November, when it was published, once you get past the obvious top two.

Here's the actual link, for reference, since it wasn't provided above: Buffalo Sabres No. 1, Vancouver Canucks the top Canadian team in Core 4 NHL team ranking | TSN

Note that the rankings were done by Craig Button and Chris Peters.

Reactions: coooldude

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Bordeleau and Havelid didn't have good seasons. Yes, the new draft class obviously helped bump them down, but it goes to show you how much of it is guesswork until they play in the NHL.

If you want a positive example, Zetterlund would probably have been way down the list, behind Peterson, Knyzhov, Bordeleau, and even Martin Kaut!

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
The Sharks should prioritize strengthening their defensive core by targeting a top-tier, puck-moving defenseman, ideally through free agency or trade rather than relying on prospects. Given the longer development timelines for defensemen, none of the Sharks' current defensive prospects appear ready to fill this critical role in the near future. A prime target would be Quinn Hughes, whose contract with the Vancouver Canucks expires in 2026-27. The Sharks should aggressively pursue Hughes either through a trade before his contract ends or by signing him outright once he's available. Another potential target is Rasmus Dahlin, whose contract with the Buffalo Sabres is up in 2031-32. The Sharks could explore a strategy similar to the Pittsburgh Penguins' trade for Erik Karlsson, potentially with salary retention. Acquiring such elite defensemen may require overcoming no-movement clauses, but if the Sharks are contenders by 2027-28, these players may be enticed to join a team poised for a Stanley Cup run.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The Sharks should prioritize strengthening their defensive core by targeting a top-tier, puck-moving defenseman, ideally through free agency or trade rather than relying on prospects. Given the longer development timelines for defensemen, none of the Sharks' current defensive prospects appear ready to fill this critical role in the near future. A prime target would be Quinn Hughes, whose contract with the Vancouver Canucks expires in 2026-27. The Sharks should aggressively pursue Hughes either through a trade before his contract ends or by signing him outright once he's available. Another potential target is Rasmus Dahlin, whose contract with the Buffalo Sabres is up in 2031-32. The Sharks could explore a strategy similar to the Pittsburgh Penguins' trade for Erik Karlsson, potentially with salary retention. Acquiring such elite defensemen may require overcoming no-movement clauses, but if the Sharks are contenders by 2027-28, these players may be enticed to join a team poised for a Stanley Cup run.
Hughes won't even make it past july 2nd 2025 before being signed to a 8 year contract by Vancouver.

And why would buffalo trade there best player that is signed long term, young.

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
Hughes won't even make it past july 2nd 2025 before being signed to a 8 year contract by Vancouver.

And why would buffalo trade there best player that is signed long term, young.
Dahlin will be 28 by 2028, an aging veteran. If the Sharks dangle 3 (1st rounders) plus some prospects, they will bite. Van is close to a cap issue, and in 4 years they won't be able to compete at the same pace.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Dahlin will be 28 by 2028, an aging veteran. If the Sharks dangle 3 (1st rounders) plus some prospects, they will bite. Van is close to a cap issue, and in 4 years they won't be able to compete at the same pace.
In 4 years the canucks have 50 mil in cap space (without any cap increases). And no major players to sign between now and then.

And with regards to dahlin, so we will go back to the wilson way of competing say oh well to any prospects ever coming up into the system to help out the veterans.

Reactions: Sandisfan

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
In 4 years the canucks have 50 mil in cap space (without any cap increases). And no major players to sign between now and then.

And with regards to dahlin, so we will go back to the wilson way of competing say oh well to any prospects ever coming up into the system to help out the veterans.
The same thing can be said why would Ottawa traded EK65 in his prime? But they did.
And why did the Oilers traded Wayne Gretzky to LA kings? and why did the Habs traded Patrick Roy to Col?
No one can predict the future and how teams are going to do with their best players. I'm betting on the Sharks going hard after others team best players.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
There aren't many players I'd feel comfortable trading three 1st rounders + for, and Dahlin certainly isn't one of those. Crazy talk.

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
Draft Shaefer this draft. There’s your #1 D.
You're still missing the point, defenseman takes so much longer to develop if drafted. even they are 1st rounder. Because they're the most important skaters on ice, at least when it comes to puck control. You need to land the easy pass, you need to defend, you need to position, and you'll need to know how to shoot.

For a forward, you often just need to know how to skate and score, things that either come normally or you don't have them. For defenseman it's a lot more about controlling the flow of the game.

Defensman have so much more to learn once they get to the NHL level. Gap control, pinch timing, situational awareness, all these things are day and night differences in the professional game versus junior or college. This is generally also why D-men coming over from Europe hit the ground running far more often than coming up via the CHL. Also, bigger defenseman needs more time to develop the motor skills. Mathew Shaefer is listed at 6'5 that's big and even if he is draft at #5 OA of this draft, He'll like won't be a big impact like a Brent Burns until 2030ish.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
You're still missing the point, defenseman takes so much longer to develop if drafted. even they are 1st rounder. Because they're the most important skaters on ice, at least when it comes to puck control. You need to land the easy pass, you need to defend, you need to position, and you'll need to know how to shoot.

For a forward, you often just need to know how to skate and score, things that either come normally or you don't have them. For defenseman it's a lot more about controlling the flow of the game.

Defensman have so much more to learn once they get to the NHL level. Gap control, pinch timing, situational awareness, all these things are day and night differences in the professional game versus junior or college. This is generally also why D-men coming over from Europe hit the ground running far more often than coming up via the CHL. Also, bigger defenseman needs more time to develop the motor skills. Mathew Shaefer is listed at 6'5 that's big and even if he is draft at #5 OA of this draft, He'll like won't be a big impact like a Brent Burns until 2030ish.
Miro Heiskanen drafted 2017, #1D on a Stanley Cup final team in 2020.

No teams are trading their prime-aged Quinn Hughes or Rasmus Dahlin.

And Matthew Schaefer is 6'1", not 6'5".

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Celebrini, Smith, Dickinson, Askarov, and our 2025/2026 1sts are the core to build around. Grier should keep building a war chest of secondary assets, and add 1 (or if we're exceedingly lucky) 1.5 guys to the core for the next 2 or 3 years. Crazy Grier pulled off three in one season.

IMO, to complete the core, we need a #1 D, another star forward, and a power forward/hard to play against top 6 guy (Leonard-type, but probably not quite as good). I'm really hoping Schaefer or Hensler look to be that guy and they're BPA when the Sharks pick. 2026 is the McKenna draft, I'm hoping we're outside the bottom 7/8 but still okay to dream about a lotto win. By 2027 draft I'd imagine we're middle(ish) of the first round, but that+some draft capital a good place to get a do everything winger or elite middle 6 C like Luchanko.

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
Celebrini, Smith, Dickinson, Askarov, and our 2025/2026 1sts are the core to build around. Grier should keep building a war chest of secondary assets, and add 1 (or if we're exceedingly lucky) 1.5 guys to the core for the next 2 or 3 years. Crazy Grier pulled off three in one season.

IMO, to complete the core, we need a #1 D, another star forward, and a power forward/hard to play against top 6 guy (Leonard-type, but probably not quite as good). I'm really hoping Schaefer or Hensler look to be that guy and they're BPA when the Sharks pick. 2026 is the McKenna draft, I'm hoping we're outside the bottom 7/8 but still okay to dream about a lotto win. By 2027 draft I'd imagine we're middle(ish) of the first round, but that+some draft capital a good place to get a do everything winger or elite middle 6 C like Luchanko.
I agree with you. Dickinson is not going to be our #1 and we either need to draft or get that #1 from free agency. It's going to be expensive thru free agency so drafting would be the easiest but the longest. Looking at this season, who is going to be our puck-moving defenseman? Last season, it was embarrassing at the beginning when the Sharks couldn't even get the puck out until Addison came in via a trade with Minnesota. Sharks fans are so used to have EK65 and Burns doing that but now they are gone and we can't even get the puck out of our own blue line.

Last edited:

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I agree with you. Dickinson is not going to be our #1 and we either need to draft or get that #1 from free agency. It's going to be expensive thru free agency so drafting would be the easiest but the longest. Looking at this season, who is going to be our puck-moving defenseman? Last season, it was embarrassing at the beginning when the Sharks couldn't even get the puck out until Addison came in via a trade with Minnesota. Sharks fans are so used to have EK65 and Burns doing that but now they are gone and we can't even get the puck out of our blue line.

2/3/4 D-men aren't overly difficult to acquire. Sergachev, Marino, Roy, Skej, Chychrun, Montour, Pesce, Walker, Dillon, Broberg all changed hands this summer. 10 top 4 dmen, and I excluded Tanev because that contract was shameful. Zero first round picks involved though Geekie was a 1st round prospect. It'd be disappointing if Dickinson became just a #4, but I could see him becoming a 2/3. If not, I do think he'll be a legit 22m+ a night guy who plays in all situations. If that is as a #4, it's not a bad 11th overall at all.

#1 d-men, however, are a nightmare to acquire. There aren't enough of them. If not a Schaefer/Hensler (or they aren't at that level), the alternatives are 1) draft D like crazy, and hope that in 5 years Brock Faber shows up 2) Make trades for a couple #2/3 guys and opt for the 'really well rounded' defense. 3) Pay a fortune when the thrice a decade #1 becomes available.

I'm hoping for the top D, but Martone, McQueen, Hagens, Frondell, or Rybakin are all excellent prospects. Feel like 3 of them will be +/- Will Smith level prospects. Hard not to be excited about a Martone or McQueen playing opposite a Eklund-Celebrini or Musty-Smith. Hagens-Celebrini would also be crazy exciting both ways. Frondell or Rybakin as your 3C?

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Dahlin would be a pipedream. Zero chance Buffalo gives him up for anything less than Celebrini ++ or Smith +++. He's really that good of a d-man, still young, and will likely be their captain. Signed to a good deal long term. I wish, but he's just not a realistic target.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad