Confirmed with Link: Sharks claim Goodrow from NYR

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Why do this huge favor for the Rangers? What am I missing?
Hope the theory that there is a Sharks/Rangers trade coming, that is beneficial to us, is true. (That Goodrow couldn't have been a part of, because presumably the Sharks were on his no trade list)

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
giphy.gif

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Welcome back Barclay!

Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund
Celebrini-Couture-W.Smith
Goodrow-Sturm-Kunin
G.Smith-Dellandrea-Kostin
Zadina

Forward group sorted.

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
This... I don't understand... especially if we got Dellandrea...

Unless Kunin isn't coming back? Or Bailey, I guess.

Why do this huge favor for the Rangers? What am I missing?
Kunin definitely isn't coming back. Was already speculated to not be qualified and these moves guarantee that.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
We are going to ruin Celebrini and Smith by plugging them with wingers who can barely play.

The decision making process is incredibly flawed, where is that analytics department Grier was supposed to make????

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
The contract is terrible, but it doesn't extend beyond our rookies ELCs, we have an absurd amount of cap space, and Goodrow is a useful player who can help instill a defensive conscience on a young team

Not ecstatic, but I don't hate it

Reactions: JBeast

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
We are going to ruin Celebrini and Smith by plugging them with wingers who can barely play.

The decision making process is incredibly flawed, where is that analytics department Grier was supposed to make????
If Celebrini and Smith are ruined because they have to play a season with Goodrow then they probably weren't going to succeed regardless.

The contract is terrible, but it doesn't extend beyond our rookies ELCs, we have an absurd amount of cap space, and Goodrow is a useful player who can help instill a defensive conscience on a young team

Not ecstatic, but I don't hate it
Finding guys who fit the timeline term-wise is FAR more important than anything.

Welcome back Barclay!

Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund
Celebrini-Couture-W.Smith
Goodrow-Sturm-Kunin
G.Smith-Dellandrea-Kostin
Zadina

Forward group sorted.
What is that second line???

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
If Celebrini and Smith are ruined because they have to play a season with Goodrow then they probably weren't going to succeed regardless.

Finding guys who fit the timeline term-wise is FAR more important than anything.

What is that second line???
One season is very optimistic of you. Goodrow will be around for 3 given his contract is untradable and we cannot retain. The point is that Grier thinks this is a good player to put with those guys, just like he thought Kunin was a good player.

His player evaluation is very poor, and will lead to him taking on more like this as time goes on.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Processing this...

I do love Goodrow's personality and Dellandrea seems to be a good in the room kind of guy too. We were an absolute atrocious defensive team, so these two guys help with that. If no Kunin or Bailey, then it's something like:

Eklund - Granlund - Zetterlund
Bordeleau/Kostin - Celebrini - FA
Kostin/Bordeleau - Dellandrea - Smith
Goodrow - Sturm - G. Smith

Reactions: LunchPail

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
One season is very optimistic of you. Goodrow will be around for 3 given his contract is untradable and we cannot retain. The point is that Grier thinks this is a good player to put with those guys, just like he thought Kunin was a good player.
First off I doubt he's playing with them and if he is it's for a year until they get a little NHL seasoning (my opinion). Secondly, a retention spot does open up after next year.

The bipolarism of "Mike Grier good/Mike Grier bad" around these parts is like a Shakespearean tragedy.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Why would Goodrow ever be on the ice with Celebrini or Smith? If he is, that's a Warsofsky problem not a Grier problem.

Goodrow is a perfect addition to our bottom six, penalty kill and locker room. His contract will never be a factor in anything we do.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Processing this...

I do love Goodrow's personality and Dellandrea seems to be a good in the room kind of guy too. We were an absolute atrocious defensive team, so these two guys help with that. If no Kunin or Bailey, then it's something like:

Eklund - Granlund - Zetterlund
Bordeleau/Kostin - Celebrini - FA
Kostin/Bordeleau - Dellandrea - Smith
Goodrow - Sturm - G. Smith
Bailey absolutely shouldn't be back with the club. He should be the vet guy on the Cuda with Cassels and Todd gone.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
First off I doubt he's playing with them and if he is it's for a year until they get a little NHL seasoning (my opinion). Secondly, a retention spot does open up after next year.

The bipolarism of "Mike Grier good/Mike Grier bad" around these parts is like a Shakespearean tragedy.
I think you will find I’m pretty consistent on Geier being bad. I think he’s the wrong guy for the job, who has done well on the easy things but poorly on the small things that will make the difference when the team is trying to succeed.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Hope the theory that there is a Sharks/Rangers trade coming, that is beneficial to us, is true. (That Goodrow couldn't have been a part of, because presumably the Sharks were on his no trade list)

I really hope that they didn't do this to because Goodrow didn't want to be traded here -- that seems like a terrible way to bring a player over. It doesn't super seem like a Grier move to me, but who knows.

I guess it's possible Grier just wanted Goodrow and didn't want to give anything up.. and the Rangers didn't want to give them anything to take him. On the other hand, they would've just bought him out, so why not sign him then? Which I guess... makes the idea that he may not have wanted to be traded here true... which again, feels like we're holding a player hostage for 3 years.

It's weird, man. Don't really love it.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I think you will find I’m pretty consistent on Geier being bad. I think he’s the wrong guy for the job, who has done well on the easy things but poorly on the small things that will make the difference when the team is trying to succeed.
And with that honesty (appreciated), I think you underestimate how much your own narrative influences your ability to see his big picture.

We can shit talk Kunin all we want, but I do believe he had an impact on how Eklund developed as the season progressed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad