Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire pick 11 for 14+42

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Simply because mocks says he should go lower? We don't know what other teams think. We don't know how these players are ranked and rated by people actually making the decisions. We do this with the NFL draft every year too. Pretend that the 3 mock drafts we read is gospel and should be strictly followed and teams deviating from that are idiots.

Why do these teams bother hiring and paying people to do all this work when they could just print the most popular mock draft and follow that instead?
You've convinced me. We should take Solberg with the first pick of the draft. After all, how do we know other teams won't take him 2nd if we wait?

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Solberg would be nice in the 20s

I'd like to have faith in Grier that he wouldn't be BPA at 11th. Nor Eiserman. But every team's draft board is different so who knows.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
I was feeling like #14 was like getting what's left of the tier, ala #7 with Eklund. Getting #11 feels more like the Smitty situation where there's going to be more interesting options than what's left for the tier, but also more of a chance of taking advantage of some team ahead of them going off the board and leaving yet another juicy choice on the board.

I'm on team move up again for Buium or Dickenson if they fall a bit.

Buium or maybe Dickenson because one of them somehow falls to Ottawa's pick? And they're down for Sturm, Ferraro, and #11 for #7 and Chabot? Or, something more equal? I don't claim to be good at trade values even a little bit. But Chabot is 8M for the next three years, gone when ELC expire for Smitty and Celly. Sturm and Ferarro give them a a couple solid roster players as long as they're deployed properly and 2.75M in cap space.

EDIT: I misread capfriendly. Chabot's contract goes one more year beyond Smitty's ELC. I still think it's worth it for one of Buium or Dickenson.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
Teams move up for 2 reasons: during the draft and the player they really want is still available at that spot and they're afraid he'll be gone by the time they get to pick, or the trade happens before the draft because they think the draft is only that deep.

It would seem the Grier thinks the draft is only 11-deep (or roughly there) and not 14-deep. So he wouldn't mind picking any of those 11 guys.

Some of the draft analysts also agree that the draft isn't 14-deep. So this is a pretty safe move by Grier to ensure he'll get a quality player.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
The other fun part about this is the fact that it was pick #42 used to move up, so it ties the Meier and Karlsson trades together nicely. The total return for Meier + Karlsson with 6M retention total will have been Mukh, Musty, Zetterlund, and pick #11 tomorrow + a 5th rounder they got for Okhotiuk and potential returns for Granlund + Rutta I guess.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
The other fun part about this is the fact that it was pick #42 used to move up, so it ties the Meier and Karlsson trades together nicely. The total return for Meier + Karlsson with 6M retention total will have been Mukh, Musty, Zetterlund, and pick #11 tomorrow + a 5th rounder they got for Okhotiuk and potential returns for Granlund + Rutta I guess.
Do not forget that Celebrini is ours is tied to the fact that Meier and Karlsson are no longer playing for the Sharks. We just had to get rid of them to tank to get a top pick. It was a necessity.

Skeksis25

Feb 17, 2023
North Brunswick, NJ
You've convinced me. We should take Solberg with the first pick of the draft. After all, how do we know other teams won't take him 2nd if we wait?

That's just silly and you are intentionally missing the point. You, I, or anyone on this board don't know what Grier and Sharks scouts are thinking. Or what other teams are thinking. Reading 3 mock drafts doesn't make you more qualified to evaluate these players than people who are actually getting paid to do so. It really doesn't matter what your evaluation of a player is.

If Grier and the scouts think Solberg is who they want with their second pick and have a feeling that some other team would take him before #14, then this is the move they had to make. I would certainly hope their evaluations aren't simply, "Well this mock draft says he would be taken in the 20s and some username on an internet messageboard thinks he is not that good."

Whatever decisions they make, we will know if it was the right decision when we see what the players actually turn out to be. Not based on what some blogger says today.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Not to mention $18.8 million/year in cap space through 2027. Mike Grier masterclass.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
I agree with what several people write here:

The timing of the deal makes ZERO sense. If they had a single player targeted that they believe is there at 11 and not 14, then the deal runs a hug risk!
1. The target player is taken before 11: then they threw away a mid 2nd rounder and should not have moved up.
2. the target player is available at 11: then make this deal right before the 11th pick to ensure that you get your guy
3. Several "off the board" picks happen and there are several target players available. Then you can get what you want at 14 and no need to trade at all.

The timing of the deal makes NO sense, and Grier is really struggling. I also think the 43rd pick is very expensive to move up 3 spots. maybe trading it to NJ to move up to 10, but 11 is not a big difference.

I figure this is to land one of the big 6 D (Levshunov, Silayev, Buium, dickinson, perekh, or yakemchuk). Nearly every mock draft had all 6 gone by 14, but at least one or two left at 11. Eiserman was predicted to be available in many mock drafts at 14, so executing such a deal now makes little sense.

Grier knows we have Eklund, Graf, Smith, Mack, Bystedt, Edstrom, Musty, Haltunnen, and even lund, gushkin, and bordy along with newly acquired Afanasyev who was point per game in the A. The promising forward list is very long.

The D is bascially empty. Shakir is a B- prospect and thats the best we got. It seems obvious that grier wants one of the top 6 D and that 11 almost guarantees one, while 14 is likely to miss all of them. I love the move to get one of the top D, but I hate the timing of the move as I do not understand why Grier could do this on the draft floor o ensure the value and target of the deal.

It absolutely makes sense if Grier is still trying to move up and/or he has a few prospects in mind that will be there. It does not speak a particular player but rather a group.

Giving the uncertainty after Celebrini at the first pick we could conceivably see 5 or 6 players that could be picked at 11 that many people thought wouldn't be there.

Bennett Sennecke - Could go as high as three, some think he's going to go top 7
Berkly Catton - He's one of the more likely to fall
Anton Silayev - Could go as high as three but also could slip
Zayne Parekh - Most see him at 7but he could certainly drop
Sam Dickinson - Wide range as well could go as high as three but likely slots in 8/9 but could slide to 11
Tij Iginla - Most think he's a lock for 9 but who knows maybe he slides
Cole Eiserman- Seems to be sentiment that Philly wanted him at 12.
Carter Yakemchuk - I really do not want him and think he's massively overrated, but he could also be one of the targets.
Konsta Helenius - 2C/3C all--around guy who might seem high but I think he's that center who can get you 20-25 goals and 40-45 assists while playing good defense.
MBN-Might a bit much to trade up but who knows he might be coveted by the Wild.

This rules out Jiricek, Solberg, Hage, Connelly (They didn't interview him so...), Greentree, Luchanko

My guess is that Grier wanted to make sure he got one of the first 7-8 guys and thinks there's a wide gap after them.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I agree with what several people write here:

The timing of the deal makes ZERO sense. If they had a single player targeted that they believe is there at 11 and not 14, then the deal runs a hug risk!
1. The target player is taken before 11: then they threw away a mid 2nd rounder and should not have moved up.
2. the target player is available at 11: then make this deal right before the 11th pick to ensure that you get your guy
3. Several "off the board" picks happen and there are several target players available. Then you can get what you want at 14 and no need to trade at all.

The timing of the deal makes NO sense, and Grier is really struggling. I also think the 43rd pick is very expensive to move up 3 spots. maybe trading it to NJ to move up to 10, but 11 is not a big difference.

I figure this is to land one of the big 6 D (Levshunov, Silayev, Buium, dickinson, perekh, or yakemchuk). Nearly every mock draft had all 6 gone by 14, but at least one or two left at 11. Eiserman was predicted to be available in many mock drafts at 14, so executing such a deal now makes little sense.

Grier knows we have Eklund, Graf, Smith, Mack, Bystedt, Edstrom, Musty, Haltunnen, and even lund, gushkin, and bordy along with newly acquired Afanasyev who was point per game in the A. The promising forward list is very long.

The D is bascially empty. Shakir is a B- prospect and thats the best we got. It seems obvious that grier wants one of the top 6 D and that 11 almost guarantees one, while 14 is likely to miss all of them. I love the move to get one of the top D, but I hate the timing of the move as I do not understand why Grier could do this on the draft floor o ensure the value and target of the deal.
If Grier waited and things don't shake out well, the price would be even higher.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Its hard to say. I dont hate the move, and I personally want them to get a top D prospect. I hope its not Yak, but one of the other 5 available at 11. Could go any which way tomorrow, which is why pulling the trigger on the draft floor would be better.

I find it very hard to believe that MG would trade an early 2nd rounder to move up and grab a forward. The difference between Connely, catton, senneke, Eiserman, Iginla, Helenius, MBN, etc seems rather limited (after Demidov and Lindstrom). Lots of difference in opinion there, and no clear ranking. Strange to make a deal early to give a better chance to snatch one of the them since its so unclear which you might get at 11 that wouldnt be there at 14.

The top 6 D however are pretty much by consensus. The ranking of each D varies by scout but the top 6 are usually pretty clear. NHL central scouting concurs. Among NA skaters, yak is the lowest of the D at 11. The next highest ranked D is Spencer Gill at 29. Among Euros, Jiricek and Wallenius are the only ones in the ballpark and both are pretty universally projected available at 14.

In other words, there are 6 clear top D and then its likely to be a long run of forwards, so it makes far more sense for MG to be looking to move up to give a better chance of landing one of those D. D is also the obvious team need going forward as well since they are pretty stacked with high end forward prospects now.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Solberg would be nice in the 20s

I'd like to have faith in Grier that he wouldn't be BPA at 11th. Nor Eiserman. But every team's draft board is different so who knows.
OK, now this is funny. From the Detroit board.

vortexy

Jun 13, 2024
If it's one of parekh or yak that's a bit scary. Both could be big flops. Ideally Grier would want to move up again if he wants a D
I agree with Yakemchuk being the most scary to bust hence why he is the worst of the top 6 D among majority of the scout rankings, mostly because of his poor hockey sense. Parekh actually has very good hockey sense among the group and is why I feel like he should be "safer" as he should be able to figure out how to transition his game to the NHL with the help of development coaches etc. Biggest worry for him is the size.

I would be elated to get any of the top 5 D at 11 but if they are all taken I would actually pass on Yakemchuk as I see him as a big boom/bust (and he needs to develop a lot) and go with a forward. My preferred forwards to take over Yakemchuk that could be there at 11 in order of my preference: Iginla, Sennecke, Catton, Helenius, Eiserman also has similar bust potential and our D need probably leans Yakemchuk over him.

Once again I would love any of the top 5 D that drop to 11 but we can probably assume Parekh and Yakemchuk are most likely the only outcomes that actually drop to 11 and I would be very happy with Parekh. I would also only be interested in trading up for Zeev Buium (assuming Levshunov and Silaev are taken in top 5-6). Package probably has to be something like 11th+Ferraro+33 or 53

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
But then you have the option of staying at 14, which is not the worst thing in the world.
Grier is just paying 42 for the ability to choose who he wants instead of being told who to take, more or less. Considering he is trying to build a team from the studs, it would unideal to have to be forced to take a player you don't necessarily want instead of a guy who you do want (assuming this works out).

Reactions: Sandisfan

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
I agree with Yakemchuk being the most scary to bust hence why he is the worst of the top 6 D among majority of the scout rankings, mostly because of his poor hockey sense. Parekh actually has very good hockey sense among the group and is why I feel like he should be "safer" as he should be able to figure out how to transition his game to the NHL with the help of development coaches etc. Biggest worry for him is the size.

I would be elated to get any of the top 5 D at 11 but if they are all taken I would actually pass on Yakemchuk as I see him as a big boom/bust (and he needs to develop a lot) and go with a forward. My preferred forwards to take over Yakemchuk that could be there at 11 in order of my preference: Iginla, Sennecke, Catton, Helenius, Eiserman also has similar bust potential and our D need probably leans Yakemchuk over him.

Once again I would love any of the top 5 D that drop to 11 but we can probably assume Parekh and Yakemchuk are most likely the only outcomes that actually drop to 11 and I would be very happy with Parekh. I would also only be interested in trading up for Zeev Buium (assuming Levshunov and Silaev are taken in top 5-6). Package probably has to be something like 11th+Ferraro+33 or 53
Agree about Yakemchuk. If he’s the only one of the top6 D available. Take Sennecke or Iginla because at that point, one of them should be available

Reactions: vortexy

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
According to a March article in the Athletic, the top 16 drafted NHL D prospects are Nemec, Clarke, Nikishin, Jiricek, Edvinsson, Hutson, Zellweger, Reinbacher, Simashev, Mateychuk, Willander, Molendyk, Luneau, Morrow, Bonk, and Broberg.

Depending on your value of offensive/defensive, size and skating, you'll have different rankings for each of those guys. That said, I think all six guys are in that same conversation. Nemec, Clarke, Nikishin, Jiricek, Edvinsson, and Reinbacher seem to project quite highly. I think Buium, Levshunov, and Silayev are certainly in that group. Dickinson is pretty close as well.

I don't think Parekh or Yakemchuk are much further behind. If you called that the top 22, I don't think Yakemchuk would be out of place. In fact, I think you'd have a case for for him being ebtter than a few of those. However, multiple of those guys won't make it. It's just the way prospects work out. Similarly, it's probably a safe bet 1-2 of the 6 don't become top 4 d-men. Maybe a safer bet than 1 becoming a #1 d-man.

I'd be thrilled with coming away with one of them, because it means the Sharks staff decided they were worth the risk. Similarly, if the Sharks decide to pass on a Yakemchuk for Catton, Iginla, or Sennecke I'll be comfortable with that. That said, really don't think Eiserman is worth trading up for. Could be a 35 goal scorer who rounds out his game, and become the second best forward in the draft, but just feels like the risk be buts outweighs the boom potential. Same may be true for Yakemchuk or Parekh.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
So rumors circulating that Columbus is trying to do something big at the draft involving the 4th pick (32 Thoughts and also Twitter). Speculation that Philly wants to move up and CBJ is asking for 12th, 32nd, and a 1st rounder next year (assuming lesser of Philly or Colorado). That has been too rich for Philly's tastes so far.

Also speculated that another team is involved and it was speculated to be Carolina as part of a Necas deal. I don't think Carolina is looking at just futures though so wonder what could be offered.

As a team that is interested in Ferraro supposedly, wondering if a framework like this could make any sense:

To Carolina - 11th overall + Ferraro
To San Jose - 4th overall + Something small from CBJ
To Columbus - Necas + 53rd overall

Probably way too much to read into things and value isn't quite right, but outside of Eiserman, trying to figure out why Grier traded up and why we were interested in adding another 2nd rounder for Mikheyev (though he chose Chicago over SJ).

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Given the big flat tier of this draft from 2-9, I would rather we trade to 7-9 and pick a player who might be 2-4 on our list. But at this point I think we're picking 11. Who knows. Fun week!
Yeahh that's what has me torn. You don't trade the LV pick because it COULD be a top 5 pick. But if are you trading for a top 5 pick.. but is that top 5 pick any better than #11 in this draft? Seems like a close tier. Round and round I go on it lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad