Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire pick 11 for 14+42

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

vortexy

Jun 13, 2024
I prefer these kinds of trades at the draft floor instead so we know who has been picked already, BUT if someone unexpected is falling then the price to trade up becomes much more difficult/expensive so I understand from that perspective. Also I get doing the trade early if Grier is looking to move up even further using the 11th pick now. This move better not be to guarantee drafting Eiserman, I really hope its for the top 6 D (I personally am not high on Yakemchuk) so I hope this is enough for one of the other top 5 D and if not I really hope we can move up to 6-9 by packaging the 11th with Ferraro or one of the 53/33 pick

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Insightful article about the Sens on The Athletic yesterday. (Paywall)

“Staios says teams are constantly phoning him to inquire about the availability of the No. 7 selection.

“There’s lots of interest in the pick,” says Staios.

While it’s virtually impossible to envision a scenario where Staios ships that pick off for immediate roster help, he did concede he is open to the idea of trading down a couple of spots.

“The answer is yes — depending on what the return is and who the players is that is sitting at that pick,” said Staios. “You always have to be looking at opportunities to add to our group. And if the fit is right, then we would move on it. I don’t make deals, just to make deals. I’ll be patient. And if the right opportunity comes, we’ll move on it.”

Ian Mendes seemed to be pretty tapped in there.

It also sounds like Staios is looking for a quality 4C and vet leadership. He also asked about a buyout for Hamonic, which Staios said wasn’t in the cards for them.

But I wonder if 11 + 53 + Sturm would get it done for 7? Maybe offer to take back Hamonic for buyout purposes if needed.

That is all dependent on who is available at 7, too.
Swap 53 for 33 and that would maybe get it done (would presume Sturm's value is a mid-late 4th round pick).

In that case, I would be trying like heck to nab another 2nd rounder for a cap dump from someone like NYI. Without that, I don't know that the trade up is nearly as appealing (depending on who is there).

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
realistically, hoping for Parekh after this move. He was available at 11 in Pronman’s last mock. Would be an awesome haul in the 1st with Celebrini and parekh.

If this move is about having a shot at Parekh, I won't be mad at that. I love Parekh's game and I'll say it again: a half Indian, half Korean player is extremely marketable (and a great story) for the Bay Area, especially Asian-heavy San Jose.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Swap 53 for 33 and that would maybe get it done (would presume Sturm's value is a mid-late 4th round pick).

In that case, I would be trying like heck to nab another 2nd rounder for a cap dump from someone like NYI. Without that, I don't know that the trade up is nearly as appealing (depending on who is there).
Good call.

JGP + #54 for McDonald’s Rights or something like that.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I would do that. I'd take back a cap dump too. Hell, I'd take back Chabot. Not sure if Ottawa wants to pay him so much for so long.

I would think that Ottawa would rather keep 7 and pick Chabot's replacement if Chabot wasn't in their long term plans.

Sleeper Shark

Jun 28, 2018
Antarctica
I would do that. I'd take back a cap dump too. Hell, I'd take back Chabot. Not sure if Ottawa wants to pay him so much for so long.
That interesting. What's Chabot's value at this point? Does that contract weigh down his trade value? I thought he was a pretty decent puck mover for a while there.

OTT: 11OA + Sturm + Ferraro
SJ: 7OA + Chabot??

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I agree, I love him, but to get you gotta give and Ottawa probably looking for immediately help at reasonable pricing. I do wonder if a cap dump is in the works for them as well. Norris maybe comes back? Chabot?
Norris at this point is made of glass and would likely be an LTIR rider so Zetts for Chabot? I don’t think that’s enough.

I am concerned that the sharks have no real snipers in the pipe line, Eklund is a playmaking winger, my assumptions are playmaking is Celebrini and Smiths strong points. Sweet passes to Giovani Smith and Kunin isn’t going to cut it

Reactions: Sandisfan

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I am concerned that the sharks have no real snipers in the pipe line, Eklund is a playmaking winger, my assumptions are playmaking is Celebrini and Smiths strong points. Sweet passes to Giovani Smith and Kunin isn’t going to cut it

Honestly, that's probably why we're hearing a lot about the Sharks being in love with Cole Eiserman.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
This could also be Grier looking to guarantee BPA in a specific tier of prospect on his board and rather than targeting one specific prospect. Who are the 3-4 on that list? Who knows, hopefully it’s Catton, Iginla, Yak.

bigsjfan

Jul 25, 2010
St John's, NL
Norris at this point is made of glass and would likely be an LTIR rider so Zetts for Chabot? I don’t think that’s enough.

Celebrini may not be a full on sniper but he does posses one of the best shots in this draft and he does use it. We do have goal scorers on the way in Halts and Musty 🤞 so I think we can take a D in spot 11.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Celebrini is the best goalscorer in this draft class. 40 goal guy easy. People call him a playmaker because he’s an elite playmaker but the truth is… he’s elite at everything.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I wouldn't read too much into the Eiserman mock stuff. There's not a lot of evidence that predraft mocks, even those close to the draft, are all that accurate the deeper you go into the draft. Plus, there's always a lot of smoke blown by teams about what they're going to do that is being done to misdirect.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

Halttunen and Musty have proven they can be. As much as I like Eiserman, he's just another elite sniper that has bullied lesser competition. I think we bsolutely need to go D here.

Norris may end up being one of those guys that gets over his health issues but never returns to form. Chabot is making 8 a year for the next 4 and Ottawa needs space although if Chyryun is on his way out then they'll probably keep Thomas.

They're the real wild card in this draft because no one knows what the hell their plan is.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
called it, i assumed 10 or 11 was our best bet. now to give 42 is just awesome. im sure many here agreed Nj and Buffalo were our best bets without giving up the most. I would think Buffalo would have wanted established players, but seems there conent to keep adding to the best prospect pool in the league. Im pumped

Reactions: NiWa

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Halttunen and Musty have proven they can be. As much as I like Eiserman, he's just another elite sniper that has bullied lesser competition.
Halttunen and Musty have proven nothing - they've bullied lesser competition as well.

I have no real preference for who to draft, but we're not in a position to pass up on anything in favor of anything else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad