Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire pick 11 for 14+42

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I agree with you that there is a lot of smoke on Eiserman and Sharks, but I think it's equally likely that the move up was to guarantee him OR to guarantee Iginla OR one of the top D.

I don't think it's a guarantee that they moved up to get Eiserman but I agree it's a possibility. I just hope to hell it's not true.
Yeah, my hope is that Grier--with the other pieces he'll have in place after picking Celebrini--is taking the big-picture look at the group and sees it's imperative to get a defenseman, either a top pairing-potential guy (either side) or someone who might be a high-risk/high-reward RD.

Even if a guy like Yakemchuk or Parekh doesn't become a true #1 RD, like not the full package, that's not the worst thing in the world. If you get your #1 PP QB with Parekh, awesome--and then find a steady, defensive-minded LD to pair him with (something that's easier to acquire than a high-scoring RD). And with Yakemchuk? I mean, that feels like an awesome risk to take, imo, when you're already drafting a consensus future 1C.

Reactions: DG93 and coooldude

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
If Iginla is the target, gotta move in front of Calgary, probably. The city of Calgary will be burned to the ground if the Flames pass on Tij.
Not sure I buy that the Flames will automatically take Iginla BUT it would be silly to move up to 11th hoping to draft him.

Barring another move up, the target's gotta be Eiserman, Parekh or Yakemchuk.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I’m really trying to wrap my mind around the almost universal hate among fans for Eiserman. I mean, I respect other people’s opinions but man..It’s seems a bit overblown. Eiserman is the type of boom bust prospect you take a chance on.

At ~14-20 I agree. At 11, it's less clear.

I didn't want him at 14, but understand it- he's competing with Helenius (high value position, complete, close to NHL ready)- my #13, Chernychov/Nygard (higher floor, much lower ceiling, competitive), Jiricek (position of need, injury risk), Solberg (Grier player, position of need), Connelly (equally talented, but other issues), and Hage (higher floor, lower ceiling).

Eiserman's upside is probably the highest of anyone in the 13-20 range with the possible exception of Connelly. I do think he has 30-goal upside. Aside from Celebrini, not sure we have another guy at that level. However, I'm really concerned that even with butter-soft minutes next to Smith or playing with franchise player and besty Celebrini he's going to struggle to deliver. I feel similar about Yakemchuk, could be a 20 goal scorer, top pairing PMD, but he's got some warts. Yakemchuk plays the position we need the most, and he's 3 inches taller than Eiserman. I'm not sized obsessed but when mitigating risk it's meaningful.

I love this for two reasons: 1) I think Grier will have 3-5 meaningful options that weren't quite as robust at 14. Media consensus centered around 13 guys (with Eiserman as the 14). 2) I think it's much more likely we can move up to 8/9 for Dickinson, Buium, Silayev.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
As long as we don't use it on Eiserman or Sennecke, this is a win!! If we were targetting those, should have stayed at 14. Came around on them, but like any one of the other concensus guys better.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I think all the smoke around Eiserman and the quotes that he would be taken by SJS if available at 14 AND that we are moving up to get a better chance at a D can both be true at the same time.

Grier now has options instead of letting other teams choose for him, and that's most important.

Here's a thought - What if the top 10 are Celebrini demidov Lindstrom iginla and the 6 D; would Eiserman, our franchise savior's best buddy, be so bad?

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Ultimately, it gives Grier more flexibility. See who falls to 11.

-Is there a solid D there?
-Easier to move up if they want.
-If they really want Eiserman they can take him ahead of Philly.

Lots of options! Tomorrow just got even more exciting 🙌
Yeah that’s kind of my thought, I don’t see a defenseman falling to this spot that justifies that high of a pick I’d imagine it’s gotta be for Inginla or Esierman

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
As long as we don't use it on Eiserman or Sennecke, this is a win!! If we were targetting those, should have stayed at 14. Came around on them, but like any one of the other concensus guys better.
Not on Sennecke? That would be a home run pick there given there is smoke of him maybe going as high as 3rd overall...

What a moronic take. The issue isn't the value but rather who was selected when moving up...

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Pick 42 probably ends up being nothing like 85% of the time anyways. And id rather pick 11th over 14th haha
A decent analysis by that poster reveals that it's not, by the numbers, a great idea to trade up. It's basically a coin flip whether you get "your guy" and whether your guy outperforms his draft spot.

Look, I personally like this move, but if you're into analytics, there's an argument we should have let the draft come to us. Easy to say from the sidelines!

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad