Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Jake Walman and 2nd round pick 2024 (#53) for future considerations

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Guy is going to take over our PP. Something none of our current defenseman can do.

Has nothing to do with anyone like Thrun. Way different playing styles.

Maybe PP1 can be something like:
Walman on the point
Celebrini right side
Granlund/Eklund on the left/bumper (switch them around)
Kostin/Goodrow/whoever net front

Still wouldn't be that great but its way better than last year.
I don't know that he's going to take it over seeing as he has 100 PP minutes in his entire career as an NHLer. I think he's a nice PP2 guy, but still need a PP1 guy via trade/UFA.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Nope, I was also told Walman has negative value because he is one of the worst players in the league. These GMs thinking they know more then Hodge..
I mean realistically if we only consider last year, Walman should have negative value. He was not good defensively last year. Honestly going to be a similar situation to Ferraro here where they are massively overplayed without some other big move coming. Now I love Walman and dude is going to be an absolute fantasy hockey BEAST this year and my late rounds sleeper and he should bounce back a bit.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Nope, I was also told Walman has negative value because he is one of the worst players in the league. These GMs thinking they know more then Hodge..
Because some dipshit who writes for elite prospects has all 32 GMs on speed dial.

Walman has negative value because he was just traded for negative value. End of story.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Yzerman had just received what was in his mind probably a free 2nd from Nashville so he said why not if it meant not doing the work to find the better offer that would work with the NTC.

If you wake up and find $20 on the sidewalk then later found someone to take your old couch to the curb for $20. At the end of the day he has the same money as when he woke up and has an empty living room to fit a new expensive couch.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
ab8e074a-4448-4c28-9428-5af1b1378e53_text.gif

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Yzerman had just received what was in his mind probably a free 2nd from Nashville so he said why not if it meant not doing the work to find the better offer that would work with the NTC.

If you wake up and find $20 on the sidewalk then later found someone to take his old couch to the curb. At the end of the day he has the same money as when he woke up and has an empty living room to fit a new expensive couch.
How was it free?

Detroit drafted Andrew Gibson in the 2nd round, then traded him for a 2nd rounder, and then gave that away for free (Walman).

Terrible asset management

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
How was it free?

Detroit drafted Andrew Gibson in the 2nd round, then traded him for a 2nd rounder, and then gave that away for free (Walman).

Clearly Gibson was not valuable to Yzerman. I completely agree it is horrible asset management but at the end of the day I bet Yzerman thinks neither prospect will play in the NHL so it was irrelevant to him.

It was horrible asset management but probably saved him 10 hours of phone calls in a busy time of year which is not nothing.

Reactions: Hodge

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
How was it free?

They also got Jesse Kiiskinen back from Nashville who was a 3rd rounder himself last year.

So basically a prospect swap of Gibson and Kiiskinen in exchange for dumping Walman's contract. Seems like a good deal to me.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
How we feeling about the future potential of seeing the griddy when he scores? Main board is clutching their AARP membership cards pretty hard about it 😂 I can't wait

I’ve always loved that the Sharks had a team full of personalities. Burns, Demers, Thornton — I want that tradition to continue. I truly hate the media trained hockey personality.

oh ya you know just work hard you know ya play 60 minutes you know ya

Reactions: landshark

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
You forgot the "umm..." in between words lol

Oh yeah sorry. Head on a swivel, always swiveling.

Yeah, give me rooster trick any day of the week.

I can’t wait to see this kid do the griddy, frankly - this team needs excitement. When Eklund got the hat trick on hat day… that’s the team I want, pure unadulterated fun.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Because some dipshit who writes for elite prospects has all 32 GMs on speed dial.

Walman has negative value because he was just traded for negative value. End of story.
Just because that's your interpretation doesn't mean others have the same. Your opinion of the situation is not fact so stop acting like it. You're just some dipshit too like the rest of us.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Just because that's your interpretation doesn't mean others have the same. Your opinion of the situation is not fact so stop acting like it. You're just some dipshit too like the rest of us.
I would never deny being a dipshit. However, I don't think Steve Yzerman is a dipshit and he clearly had reason to believe Walman has negative value around the league or he would have put him on waivers.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I would never deny being a dipshit. However, I don't think Steve Yzerman is a dipshit and he clearly had reason to believe Walman has negative value around the league or he would have put him on waivers.
I mean, GM's do this occasionally. There are pretty clear indicators that other teams would've done something similar or something cheaper so that's still kind of dipshitty. You're really going to quibble over to what degree. I'm just glad Grier took advantage.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I didn’t know anything about Walman. Watching his goal highlights is interesting, he’s not graceful at all but he seems to do a great job getting guys to bite on his moves and creates space for himself at the line. Obviously he can shoot the puck very well too.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I didn’t know anything about Walman. Watching his goal highlights is interesting, he’s not graceful at all but he seems to do a great job getting guys to bite on his moves and creates space for himself at the line. Obviously he can shoot the puck very well too.

i.e. the most skilled sharks blue liner

God our defense

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I’ve always loved that the Sharks had a team full of personalities. Burns, Demers, Thornton — I want that tradition to continue. I truly hate the media trained hockey personality.

oh ya you know just work hard you know ya play 60 minutes you know ya
Don't watch too many Celebrini interviews just yet

You can tell there's something under the surface that may come out one day, but the media coaching these kids undergo is something else

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad