Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Jake Walman and 2nd round pick 2024 (#53) for future considerations

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Well I'll be God damned, he's been consistently in the top-3 on the Rangers in FOs taken over the last 3 years

I still don't see him as a center and hope we don't use him that way, he's at his most effective when forchecking and playing like a wrecking ball

We DID spend half of last season playing Luke Kunin and William Eklund at center, but we also spent ALL of last season with David Quinn as our head coach, so hopefully Wario is smart enough not to make those same mistakes

We actually have decent enough center depth that we shouldn't need him there without injuries anyway

Granlund
Sturm
Dellandrea
Celebrini
Smith

All 5 of those guys are better options out the gate than Goodrow, I hope he gets to be a bottom-6 wing where he belongs
Poor Logan Lol.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Smart move again.

We now have 1, 14, 33, 42 and 53.

As much as I'm happy to swing for whatever they think is worth it at those 5 picks, it's hard to ignore we now have plenty of collateral to move up, If I was Mr Grier, I'd be looking strongly at any guys we covet who might fall slightly near the top.

What would 14 + 33 be worth?
Knowing we have two more second rounders makes that 33 - a very good pick in its own right - movable to me.
If you go off trade charts Sharks 14+33 has a trade value of about 36. New Jersey 10 is worth 34. so the value is there to get to 10 and slightly favors NJ. not sure that will be enough, but depending who they like, dropping 4 spots to pick up a high second rounder( which they do not have) could be favorable for them. I think that may be our best shot.

Reactions: Saskatoon

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
If you go off trade charts Sharks 14+33 has a trade value of about 36. New Jersey 10 is worth 34. so the value is there to get to 10 and slightly favors NJ. not sure that will be enough, but depending who they like, dropping 4 spots to pick up a high second rounder( which they do not have) could be favorable for them. I think that may be our best shot.
Issue is that only jumping to 10th is unlikely to yield one of the big D outside of Yakemchuk (who I would avoid unless he fell in our laps at 14). 8th is where we need to get to ensure one of Dickinson, Buium, and Parekh as I think all are gone if you wait to 10 (which therefore makes trading up not worth it).

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Issue is that only jumping to 10th is unlikely to yield one of the big D outside of Yakemchuk (who I would avoid unless he fell in our laps at 14). 8th is where we need to get to ensure one of Dickinson, Buium, and Parekh as I think all are gone if you wait to 10 (which therefore makes trading up not worth it).
I believe at 10 we would have a solid shot at having a pick of 2 d men. Sharks are only doing the trade up if there guy is there, we have no idea how they value these dmen.

If we agree, Demidov,Lidstrom, Sennecke and Celebrini of coarse are gone. there is a solid shot Iginla or Catton gets taken as well and theres always a suprise.

This would leave at least 2 on the board which in this case, i would do that trade.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I actually fully expect he'll not only play this season, but probably around 70-72 games.

I think the tricky thing with his injury is it’s totally unpredictable. He could feel okay and suddenly be knocked out again. That said, he’s taken a lot of time off and I’m sure he’s obsessively been doing everything he can to heal it, so I hope.

This team with Logan is a far better team and having a guy who played with Thornton, Marleau, Burns etc. and can teach the kids what they taught him is so valuable. Not to mention I think Logan/Will Smith should be stapled to each other.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I think the tricky thing with his injury is it’s totally unpredictable. He could feel okay and suddenly be knocked out again. That said, he’s taken a lot of time off and I’m sure he’s obsessively been doing everything he can to heal it, so I hope.

This team with Logan is a far better team and having a guy who played with Thornton, Marleau, Burns etc. and can teach the kids what they taught him is so valuable. Not to mention I think Logan/Will Smith should be stapled to each other.
The team with Logan makes our forward group pretty decent if Smith and Celebrini are as advertised.

Reactions: Jargon and TealManV

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Maybe a replacement for Thrun who Grier is not going to sign? Who knows, but this trade is a head-scratcher.
I don't think Thrun's very exciting or has a lot of potential, but he deserves another year.

It's not like we actually have a lot of NHL-ready defensemen who have any sort of future. Walman, Ferraro, Thrun, and Mukhammadulin are the only ones right now (Pulli, Cagnoni, Furlong, and Guryev aren't ready and/or probably don't have a future). Ferraro is possibly on the way out while he still has real value.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Maybe a replacement for Thrun who Grier is not going to sign? Who knows, but this trade is a head-scratcher.
I’m not a big Thrun fan at all. That being said, Grier & Co. seem to love him. They have been parading him around the past few weeks to speak on the players behalf with the Warsofsky hire. Grier has spotlighted him at his end of season presser and the Warsofsky presser. Sheng just had him on his pod. So, I would plan on him being around for at least a few more seasons given the franchise’s apparent fixation on him.

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
I feel the same way but the complete opposite. I'm scratching my head as to why this deal was made because it's such a f***ing fleece from MG, I still can't comprehend it. Walman is a capable defensemen AND he got a 2nd???

I seem to remember someone here saying something along the lines of not many of these trades being available, but this was a guy who was not speculated on at all and really shows that, yes, some GMs don't have much of a plan. GMMG should still be looking for more of these deals.

Reactions: Jargon

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’m not a big Thrun fan at all. That being said, Grier & Co. seem to love him. They have been parading him around the past few weeks to speak on the players behalf with the Warsofsky hire. Grier has spotlighted him at his end of season presser and the Warsofsky presser. Sheng just had him on his pod. So, I would plan on him being around for at least a few more seasons given the franchise’s apparent fixation on him.
Thrun didn’t have a good season but it’s easy to forget just how young and inexperienced he is and how much responsibility he was given almost immediately.

If Henry comes back and plays the next season without much improvement, then maybe we start having a conversation about him, but he’s earned a chance to show that he can be better.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Thrun didn’t have a good season but it’s easy to forget just how young and inexperienced he is and how much responsibility he was given almost immediately.

If Henry comes back and plays the next season without much improvement, then maybe we start having a conversation about him, but he’s earned a chance to show that he can be better.
Totally! Great points.

It seems like Thrun has the tools to become a solid NHL dman. With saying “I’m not a big fan at all”, I didn’t do a good enough job of being clear.

I know he’s young and been put in a very tough situation. He’s had a few nice moments and was one of their better dmen this last season. I’m just not on the bandwagon yet compared to how Grier, Warsofsky and Quinn speak/have spoken about him, and how the franchise has been spotlighting.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Reactions: TealManV

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Guy is going to take over our PP. Something none of our current defenseman can do.

Has nothing to do with anyone like Thrun. Way different playing styles.

Maybe PP1 can be something like:
Walman on the point
Celebrini right side
Granlund/Eklund on the left/bumper (switch them around)
Kostin/Goodrow/whoever net front

Still wouldn't be that great but its way better than last year.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad