Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire F Carl Grundstrom for D Kyle Burroughs

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Burroughs was addition by subtraction. Doesn't matter how good or bad Grundstrom is.

edit: Looks like Grundstrom is the prototypical 4th line fill in ala G. Smith and Bailey last season.

Last edited:

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
Again, goes back to Goodrow's value being leadership (which has been the point the whole time). Finding average 4th liners has never been the problem. Finding the leadership guys though is a different skillset.

Imagine thinking that Benning is awful... Him and Walman would actually form a decent 2nd pairing. Not a playoff 2nd pairing, but would be very solid.
Thank you! I am glad someone else on this forum recognizes that Matt Benning is a good hockey player.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I didn't see Givani Smith getting absolutely walked all over for embarrassing goal after embarrassing goal in the 2022-23 season.

Givani Smith barely got into 36 games in 23-24 for a dumpster fire team. Benning at least played 77 in 22-23.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If they do decide to sign Grundstrom, he would provide the bottom six with a good forechecker which will be a good add for that group. If he does sign, I find it hard to believe that it wouldn't squeeze out Kunin and Zadina which is a huge win in my book. The bottom six could look like...

Kostin/Goodrow-Smith-Grundstrom
Goodrow/Afanasyev-Sturm-Dellandrea

That's a pretty dramatic improvement on last year's group.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Glad Burroughs is gone, he sucks. I also don't know why Benning keeps getting put in the same category as Burroughs...Burroughs is an AHLer while Benning is a solid #6 defenseman who PKs and makes 1.3M per year. With them adding Dellandrea, Goodrow, and Grundstrom, Givani Smith already being designated as the #14 forward who sits in the press box most nights, and Kostin and Sturm still on the roster, I actually think the odds of Kunin not being re-signed are going up, which is interesting...I kind of figured him being re-signed was a given lol.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Glad Burroughs is gone, he sucks. I also don't know why Benning keeps getting put in the same category as Burroughs...Burroughs is an AHLer while Benning is a solid #6 defenseman who PKs and makes 1.3M per year. With them adding Dellandrea, Goodrow, and Grundstrom, Givani Smith already being designated as the #14 forward who sits in the press box most nights, and Kostin and Sturm still on the roster, I actually think the odds of Kunin not being re-signed are going up, which is interesting...I kind of figured him being re-signed was a given lol.
I hope so. They probably gain 10 points in the standings just by letting Kunin walk. He probably did more on-ice work for the tank than even Burroughs. They also have Afanasyev that would warrant a spot in the NHL if they come to an agreement on a contract. It just makes more competitive sense to let him and Zadina walk.

Reactions: ChompChomp and DG93

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I hope so. They probably gain 10 points in the standings just by letting Kunin walk. He probably did more on-ice work for the tank than even Burroughs. They also have Afanasyev that would warrant a spot in the NHL if they come to an agreement on a contract. It just makes more competitive sense to let him and Zadina walk.
Yep, sorry forgot about Afanasyev if he doesn't go to Russia. He's the Zadina replacement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad