Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire F Carl Grundstrom for D Kyle Burroughs

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
The roster is getting pretty full on 4th liners. At some point we need to use the remaining roster slots on top 6 guys.
Top 6: Eklund, Granlund, Zetterlund, Celebrini, Smith, UFA/Trade
Bottom 6: Sturm, Kunin, Kostin, Goodrow, Dellandrea, Grundstrom

So there's still room for at least one top six forward. Maybe a few more forwards as well if Kunin isn't coming back or Kostin is waiver bound.

Reactions: DG93

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Kostin, Kunin, Goodrow, Dellandrea, and Givani seems like a lot of 3/4 wingers. Seems indicative of more action on the way by chance? Will say that the Sharks will lead the league in hits though this coming season.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Kostin, Kunin, Goodrow, Dellandrea, and Givani seems like a lot of 3/4 wingers. Seems indicative of more action on the way by chance? Will say that the Sharks will lead the league in hits though this coming season.
Yeah it's a dead horse at this point but highlights how easy it is to find quality bottom 6 players without taking on Goodrow's contract. Not going to complain too much because I love what MG has been doing.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
And I do want to see what Afanasyev has to offer if he were to get some regular playing time. Not expecting a lot but more upside than all these guys except, I guess, Kostin and Dellandrea.

Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Grundstrom sounds a bit like Kostin.

We're definitely in the same place we were last year on both F and D -- too many bottom 6 / bottom pair. Let's hope he doesn't stop cooking this summer.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Yeah it's a dead horse at this point but highlights how easy it is to find quality bottom 6 players without taking on Goodrow's contract. Not going to complain too much because I love what MG has been doing.
Again, goes back to Goodrow's value being leadership (which has been the point the whole time). Finding average 4th liners has never been the problem. Finding the leadership guys though is a different skillset.

Not to worry, he'll sign another awful RHD to a multi-year contract this summer, it's an annual tradition around here

Benning
Burroughs
WHO'S NEXT?
Imagine thinking that Benning is awful... Him and Walman would actually form a decent 2nd pairing. Not a playoff 2nd pairing, but would be very solid.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Would have rather had GMMG give up Future Considerations, but ok fine
Future Considerations is a much better player than Kyle Burroughs, I'd prefer to keep him on the roster

Imagine thinking that Benning is awful... Him and Walman would actually form a decent 2nd pairing. Not a playoff 2nd pairing, but would be very solid.
I don't have to imagine, I watched him

Is that Matt Dumba’s music I hear???

(Just a joke)
Don't you put that evil into the universe

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
He's not though. He's a very fine 3rd pairing guy that got overplayed because of the lack of other defensemen that we had. Hence why Friedman said the Sharks would have gotten real trade interest at the deadline for him if he was not injured this year.
All RHD who play with physicality draw trade interest regardless of their quality, it happens every deadline

Benning also has term and cost control while still young enough to not freak out over the term remaining

He has a lot of attractive qualities until you watch him play

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
He's not though. He's a very fine 3rd pairing guy that got overplayed because of the lack of other defensemen that we had. Hence why Friedman said the Sharks would have gotten real trade interest at the deadline for him if he was not injured this year.
I don't think Benning belongs on a good team's 3rd pairing - I think he belongs in the press box, playing 30 games a year, or in the AHL. He's not very good offensively and contributes almost nothing defensively (I think he's at or below replacement level there, because of his poor mobility).

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I don't think Benning belongs on a good team's 3rd pairing - I think he belongs in the press box, playing 30 games a year, or in the AHL. He's not very good offensively and contributes almost nothing defensively (I think he's at or below replacement level there, because of his poor mobility).
You could do worse than him on the bottom pairing but for the most part I agree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad