Post-Game Talk: Sharks 7, Oilers 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Like it or not this team was doing extremely well before we lost Russell and Klef and nothing is going to happen with changes being made to management personal while they're out and probably for the rest of the season.
If you were paying close attention to that slate of games though, you would have seen that the reason we went on that nice little modest successful stretch was mostly due to Koski playing way above his pay grade. Many of those games would have been lost in the first period alone had it not been for his heroics. Now, it would appear teams have figured him out, and the results are there. I really don’t think this team has been playing any better under a new coach and system than the old one, other than the results of that nice little run. Almost looked like they quit on him tonight. Oh well, a new season, another coach canned, run out of town, and vilified. Meanwhile, the real architects of this ongoing disaster continue to sit up in their thrones with arrogance and impunity.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Like it or not this team was doing extremely well before we lost Russell and Klef and nothing is going to happen with changes being made to management personal while they're out and probably for the rest of the season.

As I stated before there are 2 major issues with this team...secondary scoring and defensive depth. Hitch being the new voice has managed to temporarily get buy in for defensive play but I dont believe the team as a whole has the right mix of players to sustain this long term.
With Klefbom and Russell healthy this defence is average at best but they at least have an opportunity to shut the other team down and win low scoring games. When this otherwise average defence is stepped down a notch the team has nothing to fall back on...no secondary scoring and no ability to shut down the other teams offence.
That IMO is why we are witnessing the carnage we are seeing now.

A lack of high end vets doesnt help either because those are the players you can lean on when times get tough. The Oilers have no one like that which is why these long losing streaks happen and also why they are so hard for the team to shake.
Toronto has Marleau...Calgary has Giordano...Edmonton has no one.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Someone in the post game presser just insinuated there are similarities with Benn-Seguin in Dallas as there is with McDavid-Drai. f*** this shitty fan base and their equally dumb media. Fire The Mall before it’s too late.

Reactions: TB12 and Aerrol

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If you were paying close attention to that slate of games though, you would have seen that the reason we went on that nice little modest successful stretch was mostly due to Koski playing way above his pay grade. Many of those games would have been lost in the first period alone had it not been for his heroics. Now, it would appear teams have figured him out, and the results are there. I really don’t think this team has been playing any better under a new coach and system than the old one, other than the results of that nice little run. Almost looked like they quit on him tonight. Oh well, a new season, another coach canned, run out of town, and vilified. Meanwhile, the real architects of this ongoing disaster continue to sit up in their thrones with arrogance and impunity.
I mean, McLellan had to go too. Other people are at fault but McLellan was simply not a good coach.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Defensively the biggest issue they're having is defending the front of the net. Look at the goal chart from the game, outside of the Karlsson wrister from the point, everything was from the slot or directly in front of the net.

When Hitch took over his system did a nice job keeping numbers there, but as worse and worse defencemen have stepped in, you're see guys getting boxed out and continuously losing the battles and position in front of the net.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

There is an argument to be made that the reason the Koskinen was so good was because the team was limiting grade A scoring chances. That hasnt been the case the last 5+ games and since then Koskinen has been below average.
That is not a coincidence.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
There is an argument to be made that the reason the Koskinen was so good was because the team was limiting grade A scoring chances. That hasnt been the case the last 5+ games and since then Koskinen has been below average.
That is not a coincidence.
Even that Vancouver game. Every single goal they scored on him was a grade A chance.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Defensively the biggest issue they're having is defending the front of the net. Look at the goal chart from the game, outside of the Karlsson wrister from the point, everything was from the slot or directly in front of the net.

When Hitch took over his system did a nice job keeping numbers there, but as worse and worse defencemen have stepped in, you're see guys getting boxed out and continuously losing the battles and position in front of the net.
For a huge guy, Nurse is terrible at clearing the net.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Someone in the post game presser just insinuated there are similarities with Benn-Seguin in Dallas as there is with McDavid-Drai. **** this ****ty fan base and their equally dumb media. Fire The Mall before it’s too late.

"Connor wasn't a winner so we had to trade him". I'd lose my ****.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
You're not going to win icing two AHL pairings and a meh 2nd pairing. Especially when both Nurse and Larrsson are completely off their games. It makes drawing conculsions from these games hard, as such an obvious flaw is going to make everyone look bad.

Teams know to forecheck hard on the Oil's defence, and have their defence stand up on the forwards. Thus the puck is always being tossed around like a grenade, and it's leading to sloppy ungly, and predictable turnovers, as the teams completely unable to build any speed.

I know I said I wouldn't go after the forwards, but I don't understand why Caggs always falls up... He's a dump player who often hurts the team more than he helps. His only redeeming quality is chasing the puck, but even then it's noramlly a turnover right after he gets it. Rieder's also beyond hopeless in the offensive zone, but I at least trust him defensively. I know Spooner's uneventful, but having him in the lineup lets you keep Khaira on the wing on a higher line, where he's far more useful than the Drake.

On that note, I though Khaira and Yamamoto both looked good. They were some of the few that tracked and controlled the puck well in my eyes.

Can we please move Caggs and Benning for a TVR or Pysyk-type return? Please?

Draisaitl-McDavid-Rattie/Yama
Khaira-RNH-Pulju
Lucic-Brodziak-Kassian
Rieder-Spooner-Rattie/Yama

Russell-Larsson
Nurse-Pysyk
Jones-Gravel

That at least gets you to a point where you can survive until Klefbom and Sekera are also back.

The problem with your lineup is Rattie, Yama, JP, Rieder and Spooner aren't NHL players and shouldn't be in the top 6/9.

The current JJ may be able to play top 6.

The Lucic line is a #4.

The current D lineup is the weakest in the NHL..no matter how you shuffle it.
With Klef and AS back, we still don't have an adequate top pairing.

ALL this falls to the GM.

Reactions: space321

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Even that Vancouver game. Every single goal they scored on him was a grade A chance.

I think Koskinen should have had the 4th goal for sure but otherwise I agree.

I also think it plays on a goalies confidence to have to face a barrage of grade A chances. I think you would agree that there is a reason why Hitchs teams always have an increase in the goalies sv%...its the system and his system reduces Grade A chances.
The team has slipped the last few games in terms of playing the system....If they had some secondary scoring then I believe that they could better manage those times when they play bad stretches and assignments get missed...it wouldn't be so damaging.

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
That was ugly, but not unexpected. Klefbom & Sekera won't be returning to the line-up until early February, so hopefully, Russell returns to full health soon and helps solidify the defense until they're ready to go.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Gravel is much better than advertised. I want him and Sekera as a bottom pairing next season.
Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Russell
Gravel Sekera
Without any trades, this is what we have.

I think you take the gamble and move Sekera out. Even if he does step in and play his best after those injuries, you need cap room and a spot for Jones next season.

I advertised it. Been a nice addition. Gravel is good enough to be on a top 4 pairing. Most nights he isn't being the problem.

Reactions: Pointteen

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
As I stated before there are 2 major issues with this team...secondary scoring and defensive depth. Hitch being the new voice has managed to temporarily get buy in for defensive play but I dont believe the team as a whole has the right mix of players to sustain this long term.
With Klefbom and Russell healthy this defence is average at best but they at least have an opportunity to shut the other team down and win low scoring games. When this otherwise average defence is stepped down a notch the team has nothing to fall back on...no secondary scoring and no ability to shut down the other teams offence.
That IMO is why we are witnessing the carnage we are seeing now.

A lack of high end vets doesnt help either because those are the players you can lean on when times get tough. The Oilers have no one like that which is why these long losing streaks happen and also why they are so hard for the team to shake.
Toronto has Marleau...Calgary has Giordano...Edmonton has no one.

We have 42 million Cup champion Lolcic bringing character

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That was ugly, but not unexpected. Klefbom & Sekera won't be returning to the line-up until early February, so hopefully, Russell returns to full health soon and helps solidify the defense until they're ready to go.
We will be pretty close to mathematically elimited by the time Klefbom is back.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
Someone in the post game presser just insinuated there are similarities with Benn-Seguin in Dallas as there is with McDavid-Drai. **** this ****ty fan base and their equally dumb media. Fire The Mall before it’s too late.

Yeah! Down with WEM!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It was a smart thing to say to show confidence in them in hopes it would build them up.

Sadly, and I feel for Hitch, staying retired would ultimately be the smart thing to do. poor guy, this means a lot to him and its just piling downhill. This was the only chance this org ever gave him and they gave it to him in a pretty shitty situation. An Edmonton boy deserved better from this org.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad