Speculation: Sharks 2015-2016 Roster Talk: Rumors, Roster, Proposals. Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoOffense

Nov 5, 2014
I kinda hope we put in a claim for Ortio and ship Stalock out somehow but we know that ain't happening.

My thoughts exactly. I am not sure Ortio would be an instant upgrade on Stalock but Ortio has a legit starter potential and Jones, Ortio would be pretty great young goalie tandem for years. But I know we ain't gonna claim him.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
Yeah, I don't think the org is quite ready to give up on Stalock yet. I would love to claim Ortio, even though he has been tire fire this season. He's only 24 and like someone said above, it could be a nice duo for years to come.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
With the Crosby rumors does that mean we are getting RyJo and Crosby as our top 2 centers? Couture on the 3rd line? :sarcasm:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Disclaimer in that I haven't watched a minute of Ryan in the Barracuda....

He's got 7 assists in 16 games in the AHL. That's it. You know what offensively productive NHL defensemen were getting in the AHL? Heck, Ryan is being outproduced by tire-fire Matt Irwin.

There is a lot to suggest that he could be a very useful asset someday. But suggesting he is ready right now?

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California

He's got 7 assists in 16 games in the AHL. That's it. You know what offensively productive NHL defensemen were getting in the AHL? Heck, Ryan is being outproduced by tire-fire Matt Irwin.

There is a lot to suggest that he could be a very useful asset someday. But suggesting he is ready right now?

I don't know if hes better now, but he is a better skater and is a lot younger than Irwin when he was even close to being competitive for a roster spot. I swear to christ can't one D man be a RHD.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I don't know if hes better now, but he is a better skater and is a lot younger than Irwin when he was even close to being competitive for a roster spot. I swear to christ can't one D man be a RHD.

That's fantastic news in regards to his potential, but his ability to contribute right now?

Not to mention, he's going to have to be decent defensively...

I mean, look at a guy you hope he could be, like Torey Krug. Krug's final, junior season in the NCAA he absolutely dominated. He then came to the AHL and had a great season before joining Boston full time. And even then...he was ridiculously sheltered, was a nightmare defensively, and was playing on a much more solidified defense.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
3rd / 4th+ prospect for Kris Russell
Something for Lee Stempniak

Karlsson - Thornton - Pavelski
Marleau - Couture - Ward
Donskoi - Hertl - Stempniak
Nieto - Tierney - Wingels

Vlasic - Braun
Martin - Burns
Dillon - Russell

Jones
Stalock (Someone else ?)

Pinch-hitters : Mueller, Goldobin, Ryan, Demelo and Tennyson
Thoughts ?

Last edited:

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
That's fantastic news in regards to his potential, but his ability to contribute right now?

I mean, look at a guy you hope he could be, like Torey Krug. Krug's final, junior season in the NCAA he absolutely dominated. He then came to the AHL and had a great season before joining Boston full time. And even then...he was ridiculously sheltered, was a nightmare defensively, and was playing on a much more solidified defense.

I'm not on the hype train, especially if we have to work with a third pairing of 2 LHD.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

A kid's readiness is not going to be found in counting stats like points.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
Rather then pick up a 24 year old goalie and hoping he turns into something, if we're changing anything about our G, Id rather us bring in a mentor to Jones. Someone who is over the hill, but can play 15-20 games from here on in.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Rather then pick up a 24 year old goalie and hoping he turns into something, if we're changing anything about our G, Id rather us bring in a mentor to Jones. Someone who is over the hill, but can play 15-20 games from here on in.

There really isn't anyone out there that is at Stalock's pay level that would fit that description. Besides, the team has Nabokov in the fold.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011

The Cuda are hot garbage.. They are in bottom 5 of goals scored.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Add a bit more for James Reimer.

Reimer's not going to be had for cheap this season with his contract status and play level. Reimer's also not the kind of guy that would fit the description of mentor for Jones. He'd be gone after this season anyway.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
Reimer's not going to be had for cheap this season with his contract status and play level. Reimer's also not the kind of guy that would fit the description of mentor for Jones. He'd be gone after this season anyway.
I meant to say not as a mentor, but as a rental.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
I'd rather just keep Stalock if we can't get a mentor for Jones. I know we have Nabby back in the fold, but just to have that calming presence on the bench constantly, and someone capable of coming into games with that experience, would be nice. But I don't see the point of going out and getting someone else who has proven as much if not, less than Stalock..

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
3rd / 4th+ prospect for Kris Russell
Something for Lee Stempniak

Karlsson - Thornton - Pavelski
Marleau - Couture - Ward
Donskoi - Hertl - Stempniak
Nieto - Tierney - Wingels

Vlasic - Braun
Martin - Burns
Dillon - Russell

Jones
Stalock (Someone else ?)

Pinch-hitters : Mueller, Goldobin, Ryan, Demelo and Tennyson
Thoughts ?

Once fully healthy, the F group is not going to be an issue assuming the coaching staff chooses to ice the best available players.

As far as Russell goes, he is an upgrade no doubt, but how do you expect to fit him under the cap? Also, he is playing as a #4D in Calgary (albeit carried by Hamilton). They are going to ask (and most likely get) more. Possibly a 2nd.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I think the bolded is your problem. The Barracuda can't score, but you expect Ryan to produce more than half a point a game?

Try watching a game every once in a while.

Does Russell even play RD? He shoots left.

He's a lefty and he's absolutley horrendous. No interest know giving up assets of any kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad