Shane Wright, too early to tell, or did he peaked at 15?

Shane Wright, too early to tell, or did he peaked at 15?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Yeah something like 13/32 NHL teams has a former Toronto Marlboro player on their roster

They also have like 4 first overall picks which is more than every junior team outside the London Knights and NTDP (some crossover here ie Kane) i believe

Yea, the Marlies have been pumping out top prospects for years.

3 of those #1 picks you mention have all been drafted post-lockout - Tavares, McDavid & Hughes.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I wouldn’t say he peaked at 15 but he clearly matured earlier than the majority of his peers so he has a shorter runway of improvement post draft.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The problem is people around the Golden Horseshoe see the list of alumni and sometimes mistake the GTHL for the NHL.

I mean, the GTHL produces more NHL players than any other minor hockey organization in the world. So theres that.

Yeah something like 13/32 NHL teams has a former Toronto Marlboro player on their roster

They also have like 4 first overall picks which is more than every junior team outside the London Knights and NTDP (some crossover here ie Kane) i believe

Yea, the Marlies have been pumping out top prospects for years.

3 of those #1 picks you mention have all been drafted post-lockout - Tavares, McDavid & Hughes.
Thank you for demonstrating my point.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Him, Laffreniere and Byfield are all baffling to me. I just wouldn't have believed it if you told me 3 or 4 years ago that none of these guys would even be a good 2nd line player by now....

Their all still young enough to change that. But I really, really expected bigger things from players that I considered all to be surefire cornerstones on any franchise. They all had moments in junior where they appeared to have unlimited pro potential.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Peaked at 15? 18 year old Shane Wright would literally destroy 15 year old Shane Wright. Could your 15 year old self beat your 18 year old self at anything?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Him, Laffreniere and Byfield are all baffling to me. I just wouldn't have believed it if you told me 3 or 4 years ago that none of these guys would even be a good 2nd line player by now....

Their all still young enough to change that. But I really, really expected bigger things from players that I considered all to be surefire cornerstones on any franchise. They all had moments in junior where they appeared to have unlimited pro potential.
Why would you lump Wright in with Laf and Byfield with regards to the bolded? This is literally Wright's rookie year where he was given 4th line ice time in the limited games he got. Those other two have had multiple seasons since their draft year to establish themselves. So Wright not being a "good 2nd line player by now" seems a bit premature.

*Note: I'm not saying Wright *will* be better than them or whatever. I'm just saying the timing of the bolded statement seems unfair to Wright given his age. Not many 18 year olds come in as rookies and are "good 2nd line players" right out of the gate.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Why frame it this way and say he peaked? He just developed faster/earlier or put in more work before age 15 than his peers. Others are late bloomers.

I think he means peaked in terms of rankings. Obviously you would hope that at 20 he's better than he was at 15...but was he ranked the highest amongst his peers as a 15 year old and his rank is just falling and falling over the years?

Like, if they keep doing NHL re drafts every year, would his draft position keep getting worse and worse?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Why would you lump Wright in with Laf and Byfield with regards to the bolded? This is literally Wright's rookie year where he was given 4th line ice time in the limited games he got. Those other two have had multiple seasons since their draft year to establish themselves. So Wright not being a "good 2nd line player by now" seems a bit premature.

*Note: I'm not saying Wright *will* be better than them or whatever. I'm just saying the timing of the bolded statement seems unfair to Wright given his age. Not many 18 year olds come in as rookies and are "good 2nd line players" right out of the gate.

I think he's saying if you asked him a couple years ago, he would have had wright on the top 2 lines in his rookie year like plenty of first overall picks. (I'm sure he predicted he would go #1)

The fact he's a rookie is irrelevant to his prediction if he predict him to make it right away. They weren't gonna plop him on the 4th line.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
COVID wrecked the development for a lot of guys, Wright included. Deciding to not go anywhere else to play while the O didn't was poor.

Just crazy how he didn't really take off at all in 2021-22 and had merely very good production, whereas Wyatt Johnston absolutely exploded to be the best player in the O despite also not playing for an entire year.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
COVID wrecked the development for a lot of guys, Wright included. Deciding to not go anywhere else to play while the O didn't was poor.

Just crazy how he didn't really take off at all in 2021-22 and had merely very good production, whereas Wyatt Johnston absolutely exploded to be the best player in the O despite also not playing for an entire year.
When you're not forced to play, then you need intangibles in order to improve. Wright probably wasn't motivated enough to put in the work, while Johnston was.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He’s going to be very good. After all the back and forth. If his name were Sam White and he was just a typical high end #4 overall pick, we’d look at his last season and say “yup, he’s a blue chip prospect who looks like he’s on the path to be an impact player”. Great season in the AHL for his age when most his peers are in juniors still and then looked very good in his end of season cameo in the NHL. He had a couple of pretty dominate games in there. Looks like a springboard to what could be an excellent rookie season this fall.

Maybe he was just a talented young player finding his way and not some generational phenom who didn’t live up to others expectations because he was “lazy” or “didn’t try” or “doesn’t put in the work”.

Reading back through some of the character assasinations grown adults on a hockey forum throw at 18 year kids they have never met their lives…so cringe.

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He’s going to be very good. After all the back and forth. If his name were Sam White and he was just a typical high end #4 overall pick, we’d look at his last season and say “yup, he’s a blue chip prospect who looks like he’s on the path to be an impact player”. Great season in the AHL for his age when most his peers are in juniors still and then looked very good in his end of season cameo in the NHL. He had a couple of pretty dominate games in there. Looks like a springboard to what could be an excellent rookie season this fall.

Maybe he was just a talented young player finding his way and not some generational phenom who didn’t live up to others expectations because he was “lazy” or “didn’t try” or “doesn’t put in the work”.

Reading back through some of the character assasinations grown adults on a hockey forum throw at 18 year kids they have never met their lives…so cringe.
Agree with this and as for the pool question he did peak at 15 in the sense that he was the best player in the world in his age group or in the conversation.

Going forward at his peak maybe he is a top 50ish guy in the NHL at best for a while and that's not a bad thing at all it happens.

Similar thing with Matt Savoie, some guys peak early and still become good players development isn't linear by any means.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
SO here's a question that cannot possibly be answered because it's waaaay too early, but here you go, acknowledging that, but asking it anyway? Wild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad