Confirmed with Link: Shane Churla leaves Habs to become Panthers director of amateur scouting

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Just Churla tired of being a yes man to the already director of amateur scouting WITHOUT THE TITLE that was and still is Trevor Timmins. Do I know it all and for sure? Nope. Of course not. Just my opinion. The guy who was and still is running the show LIKE what an director of amateur scouting is suppose to do was Timmins. Not Churla. Seems he understood it and now to really wants to play a key role.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Jeeze, you know your hockey. I don't recognize one name. Unless, of course, they're all your family members.:sarcasm:

Brad Whelen - Named Assistant Director of amateur scouting last season (24 years experience scouting WHL/NHL). Doubt he leaves that position for another not head honcho job.
Chris Morehouse - CBJ Director of scouting (7 years experience, 3 scout, 2 asst dir, 2 dir). Again, doubt we can poach him.
Stéphane Pilotte - Anaheim scout (31 years experience scout/GM QMJHL and scout NHL). Maybe a possibility?
Jérôme Mésonéro - Colorado scout (23 years experience QMJHL/NHL including 9 years QMJHL GM). Again, maybe?
Alexandre Rouleau - Chicago scout (3 years QMJHL GM, 5 years scout NHL). Interesting, but maybe not for director as he is only 37. Might ruffle the older scouts feathers.
Yanick Lemay - Winnipeg Scout (9 years) Underwhelming pick.

Reactions: Vachon23

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Brad Whelen - Named Assistant Director of amateur scouting last season (24 years experience scouting WHL/NHL). Doubt he leaves that position for another not head honcho job.
Chris Morehouse - CBJ Director of scouting (7 years experience, 3 scout, 2 asst dir, 2 dir). Again, doubt we can poach him.
Stéphane Pilotte - Anaheim scout (31 years experience scout/GM QMJHL and scout NHL). Maybe a possibility?
Jérôme Mésonéro - Colorado scout (23 years experience QMJHL/NHL including 9 years QMJHL GM). Again, maybe?
Alexandre Rouleau - Chicago scout (3 years QMJHL GM, 5 years scout NHL). Interesting, but maybe not for director as he is only 37. Might ruffle the older scouts feathers.

Exactly what we need?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Exactly what we need?

A scouting team (or any team really) needs synergy. Adding a disruptive element as a head is often not beneficial. Also, he doesn't have that much experience compared to our previous head scouts.

Churla had 15 years experience in the NHL as a scout before becoming director of amateur scouting (12 before becoming Chief amateur scout).
Timmins had 3 years as team manager (whatever that means) with 2 years as conditioning coach. Then he was scouting coordinator for 4 years. Then he was Director of hockey ops for 3 1/2 years (everything was with Ottawa) before joining Montreal.

Rouleau would not have the respect of previous NHL guys as he was a decent ECHLer at best (and a Ligne Magnus All-Star but lol). He has less experience than 11 out of 17 (technically if you count Carriere HC time in NCAA-III you can add him too) of our scouts (some because they actually played pro hockey for a while).

He won one QMJHL championship as GM.

Since he became an NHL scout, Chicago has drafted 5 QMJHL players. To be fair, I could not confirm if Rouleau was QMJHL scout as the CHI website doesn't specify.
Nathan Noel who's trending towards being a ECHLer (trade to PHI).
Alexis Gravel who looks like a pretty subpar goalie in the QMJHL.
Nicolas Beaudin had a decent AHL season and played 1 game in the NHL.
Philipp Kurashev was ok in the AHL last year. Currently doing good in the Swiss league with 7 assists in 9 games.
Louis Crevier was just drafted so who knows. Currently doing good in the QMJHL.

Unless he can be linked to some out of QMJHL home runs, there is not much there to give him a director position aside from his birth place.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
To people happy at his departure: are you really that unhappy with our drafting 2017-2020?

Last edited:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Winnipeg seems to always draft well in the first round.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
A scouting team (or any team really) needs synergy. Adding a disruptive element as a head is often not beneficial. Also, he doesn't have that much experience compared to our previous head scouts.

Churla had 15 years experience in the NHL as a scout before becoming director of amateur scouting (12 before becoming Chief amateur scout).
Timmins had 3 years as team manager (whatever that means) with 2 years as conditioning coach. Then he was scouting coordinator for 4 years. Then he was Director of hockey ops for 3 1/2 years (everything was with Ottawa) before joining Montreal.

Rouleau would not have the respect of previous NHL guys as he was a decent ECHLer at best (and a Ligne Magnus All-Star but lol). He has less experience than 11 out of 17 (technically if you count Carriere HC time in NCAA-III you can add him too) of our scouts (some because they actually played pro hockey for a while).

He won one QMJHL championship as GM.

Since he became an NHL scout, Chicago has drafted 5 QMJHL players. To be fair, I could not confirm if Rouleau was QMJHL scout as the CHI website doesn't specify.
Nathan Noel who's trending towards being a ECHLer (trade to PHI).
Alexis Gravel who looks like a pretty subpar goalie in the QMJHL.
Nicolas Beaudin had a decent AHL season and played 1 game in the NHL.
Philipp Kurashev was ok in the AHL last year. Currently doing good in the Swiss league with 7 assists in 9 games.
Louis Crevier was just drafted so who knows. Currently doing good in the QMJHL.

Unless he can be linked to some out of QMJHL home runs, there is not much there to give him a director position aside from his birth place.

That's all good and well in theory. However, Timmins had nearly 20 years at this point, if I was Bergevin I would bring someone who is not in Timmins circle. Someone that would challenge Timmins.

Now, I'm not saying that's Rouleau, I was not making a point to get Rouleau at all (I don't know him). I was talking about the 37 years old part.

For me, it would be someone clearly smarter and more tech-savvy than Timmins, and that's someone you can just find at this point, they are out there. Around 40 years old, 10+ years of NHL experience, with new skill sets.

Let's be honest, in the next 10 years there will be a massive turnover in NHL scouts, the next-gen guys are much more tech-savvy and AI is coming for the NHL scout job. This pandemic just solidified this, as all scouting levels are moving to get on video - solidifying the ingestion of video data by AIs. As a result, I could see teams going from 15-20 scouts down to 5, but pay these 5 much better (resulting in Google-Apple like talents in scouting departments)

Last edited:

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Morehouse is know the Director of North American Scouting for the Rangers

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
That's all good and well in theory. However, Timmins had nearly 20 years at this point, if I was Bergevin I would bring someone who is not in Timmins circle. Someone that would challenge Timmins.

Now, I'm not saying that's Rouleau, I was not making a point to get Rouleau at all (I don't know him). I was talking about the 37 years old part.

For me, it would be someone clearly smarter and more tech-savvy than Timmins, and that's someone you can just find at this point, they are out there. Around 40 years old, 10+ years of NHL experience, with new skill sets.

Let's be honest, in the next 10 years there will be a massive turnover in NHL scouts, the next-gen guys are much more tech-savvy and AI is coming for the NHL scout job. This pandemic just solidified this, as all scouting levels are moving to get on video - solidifying the ingestion of video data by AIs. As a result, I could see teams going from 15-20 scouts down to 5, but pay these 5 much better (resulting in Google-Apple like talents in scouting departments)

Rouleau is a great hockey minds but I agree he could get a little more experience like Pilotte and Mesonero

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
To people happy at his departure: are you really that unhappy with our drafting 2017-2020?
Those drafts are still too early to call one way or the other. Churla has been here since '13. I don't know when they promoted him to head scout but the years 13-16 are not exactly earth-shattering drafts.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Those drafts are still too early to call one way or the other. Churla has been here since '13. I don't know when they promoted him to head scout but the years 13-16 are not exactly earth-shattering drafts.

''Chief'' amateur scout 2013-2016
Director of amateur scouting 2017-2020

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Interested to see if anyone else follows Churla to Florida. He would know who are the best Habs scouts.

When Bergevin gave permission to the Panthers, it should have come with the express condition that none of the Habs’ personnel will be hired for an extended time.

Except for Eric Crawford and Nick Carrière. :sarcasm:

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
Very hard for us to know what was his exact role on the team. As I'm of the opinion to let go the entire scouting staff, including Timmins, I can't be mad.

Realistically, let just hope they put all the money necessary to get the best available and give him to most freedom to make change to his personnel. This can't hurt. Please don't hire another Bergevin buddy.

Maybe we should make a list of former players who played with Bervegin, who were role players, and are scouts right now ?

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Looks like MB pulled some strings with his BFF Dudley who’s now a Sr Advisor in Fla to land Churla a job.

Habs are apparently not going to backfill - instead TT, Lapointe & Serge Boisvert will take on added responsibilities.

If the season gets cancelled, it’s going to be a hockey ops blood bath league wide...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad