Shanahan's Plan to Restore Respectability

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Is Toronto's reputation across the NHL better or worse than it was before Shanahan was hired?

• Better

Votes: 73 48.0%
  • Worse

Votes: 79 52.0%

• Total voters

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I'd say the list to pay Marner is very short and rightfully so. Best 100 point player never to hit 100 points.
The currency of Marner is some owners i.e Detroit, know that many Leafs go on to other teams and play better. He also puts many teams in the playoffs for the next 5 to 6 years. Stamkos was the number 5 guy in the playoffs, while being the highest paid for his reg. season feats. Tampa is losing Stamkos so they may need a star more. I will bet 5 teams will make enquiries by July 2nd. I`m assuming Marner wants 12 Million and highly doubt there is where Toronto wants to put it.

Reactions: ToneDog

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I feel like our reputation is worse. It's one thing to miss the playoffs a bunch of years in a row with a terrible team due to poor management. It's another to squander arguably the most talented core in this franchises history by consistently losing in the first round. Making the playoffs with the Leafs under Shanahan is just a two-week excursion before we and the players all start our summers. It's a bizarre trend that could only happen to this cursed franchise. Usually teams that flunk in the first round every year either figure it out eventually or they fall off completely and have to rebuild again. The Leafs have neither figured it out nor been bad enough to outright miss since we drafted Matthews.

In the grand scheme of the NHL this franchise is no more relevant than when they consistently missed the playoffs after the 04/05 lockout. We either don't make the dance at all (pre-Shanahan) or we're an automatic series victory for whoever we face (Shanahan era). Either way our season ends before the calendar flips to May.

There have been exceptions though to our usual patterns of failure. Pre-Shanahan the 2013 season Leafs made the playoffs in a shortened season only to immediately miss the playoffs next season. Under Shanahan the 2023 the Leafs finally won a round only to be right back to first round fodder the next year. Actually, if we go by 10 year intervals 2003 was also a rule breaking year, it was the only season under Quinn the Leafs didn't win at least one playoff round. Funny that.

Last edited:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
... Just watched Keefes introduction to Jersey. I'm so glad he's gone and Dubas. Two guys that talk way too much and try to carefully word everything to try and sound like the smartest guys in the room and comes off very unauthentic and insecure. Keefe explaining how he carefully planned his message to fans and picked the exact spot on the water to do it and had an inclination he was gonna have a meeting even before creating the message. Jesus.. I think Fitgerald was having second thoughts up there listening to proudly ramble on about his message to Toronto haha.

I don't know alot about Berube...but I much prefer his to the point answers and relaxed nature. Much more like most coaches who've been around.

• Haha
Reactions: thewave

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Before Shanahan, the Leafs were the laughing stock of the league.

A decade later, real contenders are openly mocking our losses and don't take us seriously.

Those who voted that the Leafs reputation has gotten "better" with Shanahan, need to have a conversation or 3 with their doctors.
And we haven’t even mentioned the Zamboni driver and handshake line under his watch.
Well, I have now.
But I’m sure people don’t make fun of that.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
As bizarre as this sounds, I think it all started when we had no stars and it seemed nobody wanted to play here and we really were doormats. I think mgmt started way overpaying guys to make headlines. People would start talking, wow they gave him a 20 million dollar contract. Then think, I don’t know much about that player but he must be great, yay us finally someone good is coming.
I don't think so I think it started well before that during the Muskoka 5.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
And we haven’t even mentioned the Zamboni driver and handshake line under his watch.
Well, I have now.
But I’m sure people don’t make fun of that.
I actually want to start a whole conversation / thread topic on the end of this regular season.
I'm going to wait because there's still a lot of negativity and damage control going on.

The amount of effort spent getting milestones for Nylander/Matthews was crazy. Was anyone shocked when WN/AM missed games in the playoffs after that? That was a debacle on it's own let alone the handshake line/zamboni.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I actually want to start a whole conversation / thread topic on the end of this regular season.
I'm going to wait because there's still a lot of negativity and damage control going on.

The amount of effort spent getting milestones for Nylander/Matthews was crazy. Was anyone shocked when WN/AM missed games in the playoffs after that? That was a debacle on it's own let alone the handshake line/zamboni.
I don’t have a problem with going for milestones.
Kucherov played the last game against us to get 100 assists. MacKinnon played the last game to get 140 points (beating Stasny’s record) by 1 point.

This team isn’t being judged (or made fun of) on one year, chasing a milestone or having a headache.
It’s being judged on 8 years of failures and letdowns.
Everything has been building.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Ŕestoring respectability as the title mentions can only happen with A Stanley Cup Victory. 57 years and we still talk about 1993 no major penalty call against Gretz. The Leafs and Rangers only have respect because of money.
The Rangers are fighting to gain respect with only one victory since Rocket and Pocket were team mates.
None of Shannys teams have gained us any respect.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I don’t have a problem with going for milestones.
Kucherov played the last game against us to get 100 assists. MacKinnon played the last game to get 140 points (beating Stasny’s record) by 1 point.

This team isn’t being judged (or made fun of) on one year, chasing a milestone or having a headache.
It’s being judged on 8 years of failures and letdowns.
Everything has been building.
Well I have an issue with players chasing milestones. Especially when it's the end of a season and you're in a stable playoff position. I am not just saying this with hindsight. If I were the coach I would be resting my stars. Every time I tuned in to see the last few Leaf games Matthews had 13 shots on goal and the team was down by 3 goals. Did Keefe coach a "give 'em cookies" style of hockey? It certainly looked like it. Is this the kind of hockey you want to play going into a playoff series vs Boston?

Holy God that was bad.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Wow no more sarcastic tag line on this thread anymore……..I’m sensing some personal growth for someone

• Haha
Reactions: myleafs

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
For a decade Toronto was one of the best NHL teams in terms of winning. The Pat Burns/Quinn eras were great. 4 semi final appearances and some great Series vs a team of hall of fame players (DET), and some super talented OTT teams. So many emotional moments, great players, heart, toughness, skill, and goaltending. So many people you could really cheer for.

The memory of that era is fading. I can't even believe it's taken so long and it's so difficult to be winners again.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
35 million for Clarkson was nice… that’s when we wanted tough guys and we still do.
The only thing more disgusting than that contract was the fact that Edmonton apparently offered him even more money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad