Shanahan's biggest gaffe shows he's out of touch: revisiting the "Discounts" quote

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
It’s insane this guy is still around… That’s this organizations issue, let him ride out his last year of his contract instead of getting rid of the garbage on time.

Reactions: Leafshater67

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
You can't be that critical...some might be offended here...Shanahan might have another genius revelation while driving down the DVP, meanwhile kid-einstein Dubas is coming up with the next "we can and we will!" slogan as a Pens executive...I tell ya, two of the greatest hockey minds in the past century of hockey glory and lore...:sarcasm:
Reminds me of when I watched a presentstion by Dubas on youtube and he actually presented the data wrong. He doesnt come off as the brightedt guy.

I remember when he told the media that when Shanahan gave him the GM job, there was a GM meeting and Dubas asked Shanahan what to do. apparently he was nervous. Shanahan had to tell him... just shutup and take notes (something to that affect).

Im still in shock by what I read...it must be summarized wrong by the journalist. 28 year old Dubas, fresh off two years as the GM of the Junior Greyhounds... a job he got because his grandfathers connections to that team (one Dubas thought he was gonna be fired from) was upset that Lou relagated him to a short list of duties, which included being the GM of the AHL team? Lol im dying. AND Dubas was the one who offered up this info in the book?

• Haha
Reactions: Superstar

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
i remember when wake'n'bake meant fresh muffins in the morning.

Just because the bong fits in one hand and the phone in the other doesn't mean you should use them both at the same.time. There's a differemce between being bad on purpose to engineer the best odds for the draft and being bad while trying to compete. You admit it was the right move tanking for Matthews but deny it was the right move for McDavid.

And tbat's wbat you call logical.....
Whether it was or wasn't the right move is irrelevant. Finishing last in 14-15, the ultimate tank job you say the Leafs should have done, would not have led to McDavid being a Leaf.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
View attachment 448486

‘This may not be for everyone’: Shanahan talks Maple Leafs and hometown discounts

More at: (source)

What a screw up that was.
He ate 7 AAV for his loose lips.

Dubas Overpays:
Matthews 2, Marner 3, Tavares 1, Nylander 1.

Shanny should go for that. His lack of understanding of negotiations showed.

Someone else can oversee the team for a year and then decide if Dubas and Keefe should go.

There is zero risk in pink slipping Shanahan this year. It wont effect the on ice play next year.

Time to pink slip Shanahan.

Thank god everyone took a discount.. :sarcasm: or we may have gone 8 years barely making it or not making it to the 2nd round.

Reminds me of when I watched a presentstion by Dubas on youtube and he actually presented the data wrong. He doesnt come off as the brightedt guy.

I remember when he told the media that when Shanahan gave him the GM job, there was a GM meeting and Dubas asked Shanahan what to do. apparently he was nervous. Shanahan had to tell him... just shutup and take notes (something to that affect).

Im still in shock by what I read...it must be summarized wrong by the journalist. 28 year old Dubas, fresh off two years as the GM of the Junior Greyhounds... a job he got because his grandfathers connections to that team (one Dubas thought he was gonna be fired from) was upset that Lou relagated him to a short list of duties, which included being the GM of the AHL team? Lol im dying. AND Dubas was the one who offered up this info in the book?

Agreed people who present data wrong or without context do not come off as the brightest guy..... o_O

Whether it was or wasn't the right move is irrelevant. Finishing last in 14-15, the ultimate tank job you say the Leafs should have done, would not have led to McDavid being a Leaf.

Keon kinda has a point eh?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Thank god everyone took a discount.. :sarcasm: or we may have gone 8 years barely making it or not making it to the 2nd round.

Agreed people who present data wrong or without context do not come off as the brightest guy..... o_O

Keon kinda has a point eh?
Precisely! Or what's even worse, are people who accuse others of presenting incorrect data but don't specify what was wrong or explain why. Unfortunately, these individuals clearly don't understand the data themselves and aren't aware that others recognize their lack of knowledge. By making baseless accusations and using arguments like, "Iplayed hockey" or "I work out"(lol)they only waste everyone's time and embarrass themselves. In the end ruin meaningful discussion.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Precisely! Or what's even worse, are people who accuse others of presenting incorrect data but don't specify what was wrong or explain why. Unfortunately, these individuals clearly don't understand the data themselves and aren't aware that others recognize their lack of knowledge. By making baseless accusations and using arguments like, "Iplayed hockey" or "I work out"(lol)they only waste everyone's time and embarrass themselves. In the end ruin meaningful discussion.
You know what is completely batshit crazy when a "fan" fixates all of his vitriol on one player for the collective failures of a group of athletes... you know what they say you can bring a horse to water but you can't make him stop gaslighting ... little known fact a meaningful a discussion requires at least two people ...

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
You know what is completely batshit crazy when a "fan" fixates all of his vitriol on one player for the collective failures of a group of athletes... you know what they say you can bring a horse to water but you can't make him stop gaslighting ... little known fact a meaningful a discussion requires at least two people ...
Ummm can you explain where in my post exactly where I was fixated on someone other than Shanahan and Dubas?

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
i remember when wake'n'bake meant fresh muffins in the morning.

Just because the bong fits in one hand and the phone in the other doesn't mean you should use them both at the same.time. There's a differemce between being bad on purpose to engineer the best odds for the draft and being bad while trying to compete. You admit it was the right move tanking for Matthews but deny it was the right move for McDavid.

And tbat's wbat you call logical.....
Good stuff, your logic tracks but not doing something on purpose, that ended up happening accidentally, and that wouldn't have worked anyways, isn't Shannys 'biggest mistake'.

Consensus on that was reached in the other thread.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Good stuff, your logic tracks but not doing something on purpose, that ended up happening accidentally, and that wouldn't have worked anyways, isn't Shannys 'biggest mistake'.

Consensus on that was reached in the other thread.

You meam the other thread that asks what the TEAM'S biggest mistake was that opened up shortly after I posted my initial comment about Shanahan's biggest mistake in this thread talking about SHANAHAN'S biggest mistake?

I wonder where they got the idea to start the other thread from anyway.

Reactions: LeafEgo

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Actions speak louder than words, your actions were screaming at the top of their lungs...
So, you jumped into a different thread where I didn't mention Marner at all, to call me out for my so-called obsession with him?

Sounds like the coffee calling the pot black to me.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
So, you jumped into a different thread where I didn't mention Marner at all, to call me out for my so-called obsession with him?

Sounds like the coffee calling the pot black to me.

Did I call you out? Show me where I specifically tagged you or said your name? You called yourself out. Guilty mind? Me thinks the lady doth protest too much.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
I’m still in shock this team had 100% of the ball in their court and STILL screwed up those contracts so badly. It’s unbelievable tbh. We’re half a decade past it and no other team came close before to screwing up signing RFA’s so badly.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Shanahan is gone after this year (contract won’t be renewed). Pelley must be sad how poorly he’s done.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The only half decent player who’s taken a hometown discount is Domi

Tavares did... he's just still overpaid at the discounted rate, but he still took under the market value to come here.

I'm not convinced Domi took a discount, but I could see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad