Confirmed with Link: Seth Barton signs 2 Year ELC

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I could be wrong but don’t drafted players need to sign 3 year entry level deals?

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Is he likely to go to Grand Rapids? It seems like that must be the plan given he still appears to have another year left of NCAA eligibility.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I could be wrong but don’t drafted players need to sign 3 year entry level deals?

It depends on they are on 9/15 in the year the contract starts. The required numbers of years starts to drop once they get past 21. Something like:

18-21YO: 3 year ELC
22-23: 2 year ELC
24: 1 year ELC
25+: Can sign a standard NHL contract

And that goes for the first NHL contract to any player from 18-24, when drafted or undrafted.

Edit: Did some digging and figured out the 9/15 date, in which Barton will be 22 for 21-22.

Last edited:

jaster

Hanas chirps per 60 record holder
Jun 8, 2007
Canadian version of Gustav Lindstrom. Not to knock Barton, I actually like Lindstrom, but pretty boring prospect. Probably an NHL #6 at best.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
For those interested, Lowell's site has a game log for Barton here: Seth Barton - Men's Ice Hockey - UMass Lowell Athletics

Looks like once the team's schedule stopped getting postponed, he went on a decent run for the last 10 games with 2G, 6A and 30 shots on goal, after a slow start with 0G, 3A and 11 shots in his first 10 games.

Is he likely to go to Grand Rapids? It seems like that must be the plan given he still appears to have another year left of NCAA eligibility.

Now that he's signed a pro contract, he can't go back so it's probably safe to assume he's earmarked for a spot in GR next year.

I'm guessing he'll probably also sign an ATO with GR for the rest of this season.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Skates better. Doesn't have Lindstrom's defensive game.

Is his skating really any better? Last I saw of him, it definitely wasn't. But that was last season, guess it's possible he's taken steps in that department since then.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Is his skating really any better? Last I saw of him, it definitely wasn't. But that was last season, guess it's possible he's taken steps in that department since then.

Never watched him. But scouting reports put him as a plus skater. Lindstrom's skating is a minus.
Barton surprised with his offensive production as a freshman and then improved as a sophomore.
But as junior, his production flattened and he had the worst +/- on the team.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

No offense, but I think you made a bad read on him. From a technical and efficiency perspective, I much prefer Barton moving in all four directions over Lindstrom. I couldn't tell you if he is more explosive or quicker than Lindstrom (though the later sets a pretty low bar in those regards).

I am a little confused as to why his skating is coming up as a topic of conversation here. He has plenty of other warts I would have expected people to pick at first.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Never watched him. But scouting reports put him as a plus skater. Lindstrom's skating is a minus.
Barton surprised with his offensive production as a freshman and then improved as a sophomore.
But as junior, his production flattened and he had the worst +/- on the team.

He's not a plus skater, not by any stretch of the imagination. Edgework is only ok, speed is average, first three steps are ugly. As of last season, he needed to improve to get to NHL level.

As for his offense, it actually improved each of his 3 college seasons when going by points-per-game.

The biggest difference between Barton and Lindstrom is not the skating, it's the panic threshold in their own end. Lindstrom's is very high, Barton's is very low (so far).

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
No offense, but I think you made a bad read on him. From a technical and efficiency perspective, I much prefer Barton moving in all four directions over Lindstrom. I couldn't tell you if he is more explosive or quicker than Lindstrom (though the later sets a pretty low bar in those regards).

I am a little confused as to why his skating is coming up as a topic of conversation here. He has plenty of other warts I would have expected people to pick at first.

Lindstrom's "weak skating" is a bit overblown. Partially because it just is, and partially because he's so efficient with his decision-making (and has good reach) that he manages to mitigate it.

I only watched one game of Barton's last season. His skating was just not very good. I could be convinced that it was average. For college I guess. His edgework actually looked good in the offensive zone, he appeared to have some confidence with the puck. But in his own end it was a trouble spot.

His biggest wart from what I saw was the lack of panic threshold, as I mentioned in my last post. That's something that sometimes improves as players develop but often doesn't. I don't know where he's at today, but he's obviously impressed enough to earn a contract, so we'll see.

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
UML fan here, Lowell struggled for portions of this year due to multiple COVID issues but Barton was a good part on our push to the finals against BC as UML offense from the back end picked up. Statistically points wise he would of been on pace for his best output in his 3 years.

From watching him play he was average the prior 2 seasons. One negative I've seen from him is misjudged board passes and just bad open ice passes to no one. There was quite a few times where he would try a board pass and have it be picked off and headed the other way for an odd man rush.

You may notice a bad +/- but this was the first season in quite some time Lowell really had no solid goaltending with the departure of Tyler Wall to NYR.

I really hope the kid pans out well. Always good to see alumni from the team I cheer for succeed in the pros.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yzerman seems to look this old prospect arsenal currently. Signs some guys like Holway for their last chances. To know them better and then prepare for expansion and next wave of trades.

Who are not needed and who are needed.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
One negative I've seen from him is misjudged board passes and just bad open ice passes to no one. There was quite a few times where he would try a board pass and have it be picked off and headed the other way for an odd man rush.
Well then, he's a perfect fit for the team. Should just skip GR and put him on the Wings roster when Staal and Merrill are traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad