Serious question pertaining to the Laine hit/injury

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
I hate to be that guy, especially in a thread created by amnesiac, but why did he leave out this image? @amnesiac

View attachment 911353
OP isnt asking "was this a knee on knee incident?", he's asking who's responsibility it is to move their knee out of the way from the other.

That picture doesn't have anything to do with his question, isn't a new unseen photo and doesn't provide any new context or information as pertaining to the question.

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
OP isnt asking "was this a knee on knee incident?", he's asking who's responsibility it is to move their knee out of the way from the other.

That picture doesn't have anything to do with his question, isn't a new unseen photo and doesn't provide any new context or information as pertaining to the question.
It’s give us a clearer perspective to answer the question

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
This hit happened because Pare went for the reactive move, mostly due to a skill issue.

It's not a bad question, I'm just not sure it's an appropriate underlying scenario to raise it, because, even if there's a right answer to be given, one of those players isn't able to implement it (at that speed and difficulty level)

Auston Marlander

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I hate to be that guy, especially in a thread created by amnesiac, but why did he leave out this image? @amnesiac

View attachment 911353
Becuase that's a clear example of a still not showing how the players got to where they are. That still looks like a purposeful attempt to take out a knee. However we don't live in static, and you'd be hard pressed to find many people who would fault Pare for this, beyond saying it was an unfortunate incident.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
It’s give us a clearer perspective to answer the question
Just to reply again to you here with more reasoning on why that isn't the case.

The OP again is asking "whos job is it to move their leg"

You posted a photo of two guys who didnt move their leg at all. The results dont matter to the question he is asking. It could be a photo of you and I in a beer league game in the exact same position but we dont collide because one of us moved our leg out of the way, he just wants to know who the onus is on between the two players, regardless of whom they are.

Reactions: Insidefi

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
Laine's fault. He is coming with legs wide. Of course his knees are out.
6 months of PlayStation for him.

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
Just to reply again to you here with more reasoning on why that isn't the case.

The OP again is asking "whos job is it to move their leg"

You posted a photo of two guys who didnt move their leg at all. The results dont matter to the question he is asking. It could be a photo of you and I in a beer league game in the exact same position but we dont collide because one of us moved our leg out of the way, he just wants to know who the onus is on between the two players, regardless of whom they are.
I know you’re a class act and if we found ourselves in that situation on the ice, we would both move our legs

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
The job of the defender is to go through the attacking player and stop them. The job of the attacker is to avoid the defender and keep the play going. Both should be trying to avoid knee contact here, but Pare is just doing his job while Laine decided to glide into being hit.

boompuffboom

Jul 10, 2007
Laine took a risk. Paré didnt want to get shifted, so he went simple jack.

Paré is guilty 100%.

As an automobile driver, its your responsibility to stop before hitting a jaywalker, even thou they are not supposed to be jaywalking.

its a DIRTY HOCKEY PLAY, bottom line.

I think AX72 and JS20 did the right thing. NHL refs are a joke.

i want revenge. f*** the leafs

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal

View attachment 911353
As others have mentioned, that image is the actual impact, and doesn’t show what happened leading up to it.

Just looking at that image one could assume Pare came out of nowhere and lead with his knee into Laine’s. That clearly wasn’t the case.

People acting like a puck carrier has never established a wide-base before in order to maintain better lateral control + ward off sticks via the lower body.
one on one with lots of room around you, sure. Not when you’re the one trying to dangle between 2 Dmen coming in relatively fast.

I’m not saying Laine was 100% at fault here, but he sure as hell took a big risk doing what he did in the way he did.

on the other hand, if Pare doesn’t pivot his body and leg, it would’ve only been a shin to shin collision, as opposed to knee in knee.

Last edited:

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
As others have mentioned, that image is the actual impact, and doesn’t show what happened leading up to it.
Yeah sorry, wasn’t trying to go after you, you know I’m not like that, I always like to be critical in a good way and enhance the discussion. I was admittedly wrong here

Reactions: amnesiac

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
From the center ice angle, it seemed like Laine's shin or ankle would've clipped Pare's leg regardless. I place at least some of the responsibility on Laine here.
Laine took a risk. Paré didnt want to get shifted, so he went simple jack.

Paré is guilty 100%.

As an automobile driver, its your responsibility to stop before hitting a jaywalker, even thou they are not supposed to be jaywalking.

its a DIRTY HOCKEY PLAY, bottom line.

I think AX72 and JS20 did the right thing. NHL refs are a joke.

i want revenge. f*** the leafs
Not sure the auto metaphor works in your favor. Laine is the one approaching a stationary player with speed and trying to split a narrow gap.

zoA

Mar 23, 2010

This video slows things down and analyzes it so it's probably a better reference. The weight transfer is what caused the knee/shin to be the primary point of contact, and I think a lot of that is to do with Pare being flat footed, biting on the first move, and then panicking to initiate contact in order to stand up at the blueline.

That said, the ultimate responsibility is on the defender, as tarheelhockey pointed out, but players need to also not put themselves in vulnerable positions. Personally, I think it should have been a tripping penalty at the very least. We see tripping called all the time in similar situations; player moving forward makes contact with a stick and goes down.

• Wow
Reactions: Coffees

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Last I checked, defending with your leg on the puck carrier's leg at full speed usually results, at minimum, in a trip, and always has. it doesn't matter who was there first, what path anybody was on or what destiny the 3 nipple'd fortune teller predicted for anybody involved. Even if Laine's knee doesn't snap and he just tumbles forward on that play, that's a 2 minute minor for tripping on Paré. If your only option is to illegally foul someone or to gtfo, then you gtfo, you're beat.

Last edited:

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
What is the defender expected to do? Let him skate thru and score? If your legs are wide you simply take them out. If you are a 120kg hormone tank like Ovechkin you could do this.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Both. 65/35% with Laine being the most. He was the only one moving and trying to split two defenders with an absurdly wide stance. Pare shouldn't have braced but I completely understand why & it was instinctually done.

Totally unintended/accidental but with a horrific outcome.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Kovalev was the best at beating guys one-on-one in this exact situation so cleanly they couldn't even get him if they stuck out their knee. He did have a couple knee injuries in his career but, given how often he dangled guys and they stuck out knees on him, he probably should've had a lot more. I also think he was good at keeping weight off the knee at the highest risk so that it didn't hyperextend under load.

So I think if you're gonna deke defenders like this you'd better be prepared for them to stick out legs and limbs to try and get a piece of you, and you should adapt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad