Pre-Game Talk: Series Preview: Your New Jersey Devils vs. Tampa Bay Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Get a couple early on Vasilevsky and put some doubt into both him and his team. No Kinkaid specials early in games either. I know our record was good when it happened, but that was the regular season. Coming back on good teams in the playoffs is something else entirely.

If I'm being completely honest, I think Tampa wins in 6 games. I just think their depth is going to be too much, but if we can steal a game on the road, who knows what happens.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
I was going to try to treat watching the games as any other game. I'm sure that won't happen the second the puck drops. I also don't like to drink during the week but I have a feeling I will tomorrow..

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Vasilevskiy is absolutely their weak point and, if we can exploit it, we have a better chance than people think.

I'd say their PK is their weak point, it's only 76%, and in the back 1/2 of the year it was only something like 68% IIRC.

No team is winning a Stanley Cup with a 76% (at best) PK.

In fact, the Devils combined special teams are actually better than Tampa's, which I imagine would shock most NHL fans.

If the Devils pull off the upset, I expect this match-up of Devils PK versus Tampa PP, Tampa PK versus Devils PP, decides it. In fact, this could be the series where Grabner shuts-up all his critics, his game it tailor-made for harassing Tampa's elite PowerPlay.

Last edited:
Reactions: nugg

Camille the Eel

First round of the playoffs is always the best. Like watching Washington and Toronto last year. There's the drama of the early seeds in the NCAA tournaments - number one Tampa squared off against # 8 Devils.

when the Devils have been playing playoff hockey with their backs against the wall for the past 10 or more games. Games we had to win. And the Bolts haven't had a game they "had" to win all year. We are used to the pressure and there's no telling how exactly they will react to it. Sometimes it's hard to turn it on like a faucet. They may tend to spot us a game before they wake up.

They went to the finals three years back, but every year since then they've gone out earlier and earlier. Is this the season they go out in the first round?

Then there's the long layoff this week as it affects our form. Yes we've been playing playoff hockey for the best part of a month already, but have we relaxed in some basic way since clinching, stood down from battle stations ourselves? Both teams will be rusty and a little nervous at the start of tomorrow night, but will we maybe be flat?

I am happy we start on the road. Steal one of these first two games please.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'd say their PK is their weak point, it's only 76%, and in the back 1/2 of the year it was only something like 68% IIRC.

No team is winning a Stanley Cup with a 76% (at best) PK.

In fact, the Devils combined special teams are actually better than Tampa's, which I imagine would shock most NHL fans.

If the Devils pull off the upset, I expect this match-up of Devils PK versus Tampa PP, Tampa PK versus Devils PP, decides it. In fact, this could be the series where Grabner shuts-up all his critics, his game it tailor-made for harassing Tampa's elite PowerPlay.

I'd argue that Vasilevskiy is a factor in their PK being subpar.

I mean, his personal stats plummeted in the second half of the year... kinda like their PK%...

Reactions: My3Sons

Camille the Eel

I can see keeping Severson on the bench in a series that may turn on (1) standing up in the neutral zone, where Severson has a tendency to play soft at the weirdest times; and (2) judicially pinching down the boards during the forecheck, where he's made some incredible blunders.

But we lose skating and breakouts in our end. It's such a hard decision.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I can see keeping Severson on the bench in a series that may turn on (1) standing up in the neutral zone, where Severson has a tendency to play soft at the weirdest times; and (2) judicially pinching down the boards during the forecheck, where he's made some incredible blunders.

It's not a hard decision. Team Shero/Hynes know what they're doing.

The Devils are playing the most dynamic offense in the entire NHL with elite scorers. Now is not the time to play a defenseman who isnt committed to team defense.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
NJ

Yea with the depth of their offense, a 60+ point scorer on each line, the chances of a Severson f*** up ending up in the back of the net is pretty high in this series. So although Mueller/Lovejoy bring less offensive help, they're better at the "bend but don't break" style our D will likely have to play in this series.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
KRjigIP.jpg
Looks like a politician, probably one in a satirical film.

Maybe it's that Blagojevich (I'm too lazy to look up how to spell his name) that got put away for trying for trying to sell off Obama's senate seat after he got elected to president? Didn't he have some thick and shaggy mop top looking cut?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
It's not a hard decision. Team Shero/Hynes know what they're doing.

The Devils are playing the most dynamic offense in the entire NHL with elite scorers. Now is not the time to play a defenseman who isnt committed to team defense.

We are going to need the transition game to beat Tampa. Lovejoy offers nothing in this regard.

I realize Severson has not been good recently, but I really think he needs to be in the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad