Pre-Game Talk: Series Discussion: Round 2 Oilers vs Knights

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
I sure wouldn't call LA the best defensive club in the playoffs. If Kopitar and Doughty were 5yrs younger maybe the argument could be made. Kings are a high event team and have been all season. They get in high scoring games. McLellan tried to turn them into low event team but it was a mistake. This is not the 2015 Kings, lol. this is a club that scores way more, and gives up way more.

The Kings had the second best goals against per game in the league (2.2) after acquiring Korpisalo and Gavrikov. Boston was only a hair ahead of them (2.18). The games they played with Quick and Petersen in net aren't representative of the team we actually had to face in the playoffs. This version of the Kings doesn't give up much.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Disagree. Overall maybe but in terms of pure defense Stone isn’t Danault. Danault is legitimately the best defensive forward in the game. Stone doesn’t look great so far either. They don’t have the matchups or system play to give us fits like LA. LA is way harder to play against.
Takes a lot of looking at all the aspects to recognize Danaults game. Good job. A lot of people slept on his contributions during the Montreal run, or what he's been in LA. Really since LA got Danault they've suddenly been back to being a playoff caliber team. Not before that. The 1,2 of Kopitar, Danault, thats something and the player was the best add LA made. Even bigger than Fiala who is very good, but simply a high event player. Meanwhile Montreal cratered with Danault gone. People really minimize his contributions.

That said Stone is a very good player but runs hot cold and isn't as defensively reliable as Kopitar or Danault.

Where I'll differ is that LA for some reason was a fractured team at times. They aren't getting buy in from several players. Its an issue and I suspect starting to be an issue in the room as well. You can only wait on guys for so long. Kings had 6 players in the series that needed to make a far better contribution. That thing won't happen with Vegas. Everybody will be on board.

Kings have to make decisions on players like Kupari, Byfield, Grundstrom, Kaliyev, Lizotte, Durzi etc. All have taken major steps back and with the exception of Byfield its seeya time. Just not good enough. Oilers under Holland were smarter and just grabbed vet players like Bgugstad, Foegele, Ryan and they were better than the Kings depth all series. If a prospect is a nothing player you're better off just going with cheap vet fill that can play.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Vegas is a Bettman favorite, expect more of the same reffing as we just had.

Our pp is just too good, we will get about 2 a game just like the last series.

Vegas will get a lot more than they had the last series. (which was the same # as us but Winnipeg had 4 less pps than vegas)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
The Kings had the second best goals against per game in the league (2.2) after acquiring Korpisalo and Gavrikov. Boston was only a hair ahead of them (2.18). The games they played with Quick and Petersen in net aren't representative of the team we actually had to face in the playoffs. This version of the Kings doesn't give up much.
Its limited sample though and its down the stretch. Some of the teams kings were playign were out of playoff spots. For sure the bolded helped, but this is no defensive juggernaut because anytime it isn't Kopitar or Danault on the ice its an adventure. I watch the Kings a lot, I know the team. Doughty is past it too. He can play good for stretches but other nights like game 5 he's even a problem.

You don't have to tell me Quick and Petersen were not representative, I was saying that the whole time. Those guys were awful in net. But the Kings were still good at giving up leads and even with the improved goaltending.

Then theres the inexplicable McLellan thing and bad lineup decisions and bad line decisions. The series ought to have started with Kopitar, Kempe, Arviddson. Silly not to. The Kings were trying to get Byfield going in regular season. Thats fine, its when you do it, but in playoffs you have to put your best foot forward. Byfield cost the team immensely being so high up.

Reactions: Biltmore

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Really important the Oilers closed this out last night. Vegas is going to be very well rested after a pretty easy series against Winnipeg. But the Oilers have only played one game in a week after a nice 3 day break between Game 5 and 6.... so they should be pretty well rested too.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Its limited sample though and its down the stretch. Some of the teams kings were playign were out of playoff spots. For sure the bolded helped, but this is no defensive juggernaut because anytime it isn't Kopitar or Danault on the ice its an adventure. I watch the Kings a lot, I know the team. Doughty is past it too. He can play good for stretches but other nights like game 5 he's even a problem.

You don't have to tell me Quick and Petersen were not representative, I was saying that the whole time. Those guys were awful in net. But the Kings were still good at giving up leads and even with the improved goaltending.

Then theres the inexplicable McLellan thing and bad lineup decisions and bad line decisions. The series ought to have started with Kopitar, Kempe, Arviddson. Silly not to. The Kings were trying to get Byfield going in regular season. Thats fine, its when you do it, but in playoffs you have to put your best foot forward. Byfield cost the team immensely being so high up.
I think Byfield still has a good future. He's just young and playing over his head. I think the Kings should be patient with him. Big boy, but needs to put on more mass to be the effective power forward. Showed a few times he has pretty good hands. But needs to crash and bang more.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think we don't take as many penalties against the Knights as we did against the Kings. The Kings are a chippy team that likes to try to instigate stuff and suck you into retaliation penalties, and have several scummy players that will do that. We need to stay aggressive and physical against them.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Need a better series from Nuge. I don't think he was bad against LA, but wasn't good either.

I was surprised he didn't score a snapshot goal on the PP or off the wing, Kane and Kostin seemed to have that dialed in

Reactions: ujju2 and Biltmore

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
A healthy Mark Stone is at least twice the player Danault is and Vegas's D is much better than LA's overall imo, though Theodore still hasn't been practicing afaik.
Two different types of players. Stone is more offensively gifted, but Danault is one of the best defensive players in the league and way more physical and irritating. Stone doesn't have the wheels of Danault either, and that's why in a more wide open game, he won't have as much success against a fast Oilers team.

Reactions: Biltmore

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Getting LA in first round is tough but it forced Edmonton to push and bounce back. A series like that is good for guys like Skinner, VD, Bouchard etc.

I do wonder if some of Vegas’s players are going to be a bit complacent because Winnipeg provided no adversity in Round 1.

Vegas is a good team but I think they are an easier match up than the Kings.

Oilers in 5.

Last edited:

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I hope game 1 is Tuesday because I’m pumped for this. Let’s win game 1 this time boys, my heart appreciates when we have a lead
I would prefer Wednesday just so the Oilers can have an extra day of rest. They probably flew back from LA today and if the game is on Tueday... that means they'd have to hop on the plane again tmrw... which is alot of travelling in 2 days.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
I assume the league wants a Fri or Sat game 2. Half the rink would be Oilers fans.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I would prefer Wednesday just so the Oilers can have an extra day of rest. They probably flew back from LA today and if the game is on Tueday... that means they'd have to hop on the plane again tmrw... which is alot of travelling in 2 days.
I think they are travelling straight to Vegas from LA. They didn't return to Edmonton today.

Kanedogg

Apr 23, 2023
I think Byfield still has a good future. He's just young and playing over his head. I think the Kings should be patient with him. Big boy, but needs to put on more mass to be the effective power forward. Showed a few times he has pretty good hands. But needs to crash and bang more.

Agree totally. If Toronto was smart they'd live in reality ie not the "mcdavid is gonna sign here" fantasyland.

Matthews won't be staying there. Trade him to LA and get something byfield should be the piece they build around in a trade to Toronto.

Guess it's Toronto's next gm's decision to make.

Reactions: Biltmore and Ibanez

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Skinner was working the Kings so hard during previous dates that his once strong stick broke. lol.

Agree totally. If Toronto was smart they'd live in reality ie not the "mcdavid is gonna sign here" fantasyland.

Matthews won't be staying there. Trade him to LA and get something byfield should be the piece they build around in a trade to Toronto.

Guess it's Toronto's next gm's decision to make.
Why would Matthews leave the Laughs? He's their franchise player; they will give him the league max.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011

I really liked the Line of Kostin - McLeod - Yamamoto from the last game but McLeod also showed good chemistry with Foegele and Ryan.

Assuming we are stacking the lines for Game 1:
Draisaitl - McDavid - Kane
Nugent-Hopkins - Bjugstad - Hyman
Kostin - McLeod - Yamamoto
Foegele - Ryan - Janmark

Reactions: nally and iCanada

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I think they are travelling straight to Vegas from LA. They didn't return to Edmonton today.
Yeah, Leavins mentioned in his article today that they are spending a couple of days in LA and then will head to Vegas.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Vegas is a Bettman favorite, expect more of the same reffing as we just had.

Our pp is just too good, we will get about 2 a game just like the last series.

Vegas will get a lot more than they had the last series. (which was the same # as us but Winnipeg had 4 less pps than vegas)
Our PP is both a blessing and a curse. We just won’t get the same number of PP’s that other teams get due to its unbelievable effectiveness. Can you imagine what would happen if we had 50% more PP’s than we had last series like Dallas, Rags, Canes, etc had. League would be in an uproar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad