seravalli : sources say lafreniere returns tomorrow

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
Sorry, the reference doesn't mean anything to me.

Nick Bosa was at Ohio State.. He had an injury and left the team..Did not play the rest of the season, which may have cost Ohio state a chance at the FBS final four.

He was drafted as the No2 pick...will most likely win the defensive rookie of the year and his 49rs are the number 1 seed in the AFC and are highly favored to get to the Superbowl.

By comparison, Alabama's Tua Tagovailoa played all year, has suffered all sorts of injuries..Alabama did not end up making the final playoffs.. If he does not recover..and he may not, because he may have suffered a similar injury to Bo Jackson.. His career may be over...and he was projected as the #1 pick this year and quarterbacks can make 40-50 million a year and another 20-30 million in endorsements..So he may have kissed away a cool $500 million dollars....

And they say quarterbacks are the smart ones!!!!!

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Nick Bosa was at Ohio State.. He had an injury and left the team..Did not play the rest of the season, which may have cost Ohio state a chance at the FBC final four.

He was drafted as the No2 pick...will most likely win the defensive rookie of the year and his 49rs are the number 1 seed in the AFC and are highly favored to get to the Superbowl.

By comparison, Alabama's Tua Tagovailoa played all year, has suffered all sorts of injuries..Alabama did not end up making the final playoffs.. If he does not recover..and he may not, because he may have suffered a similar injury to Bo Jackson.. His career may be over...and he was projected ass the #1 pick this year and quarterbacks can make 40-50 million a year and another 20-30 million in endorsements..So he may have kissed away a cool $500 million dollars....

And they say quarterbacks are the smart ones!!!!!
No elite athlete gets to the top without risking injury. Sounds like you are saying Lafreniere should sit out the rest of the year? Maybe. I doubt many people who think that way get to that level.

He will have to play on his rookie contact, risking an injury that could keep him from a big contact when it's done.

Reactions: Quack

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
No elite athlete gets to the top without risking injury. Sounds like you are saying Lafreniere should sit out the rest of the year? Maybe. I doubt many people who think that way get to that level.

He will have to play on his rookie contact, risking an injury that could keep him from a big contact when it's done.

no..because he has no choice..Play on a rookie contract or sit out until you are 27 and a free agent...So, sadly, he has to play his 2 years, negotiate his second contract before year 3 and he then minimizes his risk. This is a world juniors...Canada wins often and a win is not like a win for Finland. It will not be remembered for decades. Yes, he would love to have a medal, but is it worth the risk. He is locked in as the number 1 pick. Take a week off, get back home, relax..go back to your junior team..Be smart..there is no need to risk an injury...Wait until June, go #1..get your entry contract, year 2; sign for $15 million and Life is Good.

I wish my life was this well laid out.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
no..because he has no choice..Play on a rookie contract or sit out until you are 27 and a free agent...So, sadly, he has to play his 2 years, negotiate his second contract before year 3 and he then minimizes his risk. This is a world juniors...Canada wins often and a win is not like a win for Finland. It will not be remembered for decades. Yes, he would love to have a medal, but is it worth the risk. He is locked in as the number 1 pick. Take a week off, get back home, relax..go back to your junior team..Be smart..there is no need to risk an injury...Wait until June, go #1..get your entry contract, year 2; sign for $15 million and Life is Good.

He is going to go #1 regardless.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver

Even reinjuring that knee won’t stop this kid from going as the top pick. The risk of a career ending injury, especially for a teenager, is incredibly remote. You also seem to be overlooking the fact that they have checked out his health at length. If they are wrong and he does reinjure the same knee, then Hockey Canada stands to lose as much as Lafreniere. They can kiss any more NHL loaned players goodbye. They claim they have done their due diligence and you have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

One more thing.... Lafreniere wanting to play and win gold with this team shows that he has the heart of a lion. If you would pack up your gear and go home in his position, perhaps nobody would criticize you for it, but certainly nobody would say that you have the heart of a lion.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
Even reinjuring that knee won’t stop this kid from going as the top pick. The risk of a career ending injury, especially for a teenager, is incredibly remote. You also seem to be overlooking the fact that they have checked out his health at length. If they are wrong and he does reinjure the same knee, then Hockey Canada stands to lose as much as Lafreniere. They can kiss any more NHL loaned players goodbye. They claim they have done their due diligence and you have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

One more thing.... Lafreniere wanting to play and win gold with this team shows that he has the heart of a lion. If you would pack up your gear and go home in his position, perhaps nobody would criticize you for it, but certainly nobody would say that you have the heart of a lion.

I hope that I am not being overly combative. I will before hand apologize if my tone is aggressive. But please read the initial reply about who Nick Bosa is...if you follow the NFL, no one questions his resolve..and he will end his career a multi-millionaire...Tua may end up a footnote in history.

You guys are probably way too young to remember. But Bobby Orr played in the 1976 Canada cup..on one knee. It ended his career.. at 26 and with hockey just about to boom financially. Orr was broke by 1980. He could have still played until 1984, maybe 1990 (although he had really bad knees and so, probably not)..thus potentially 8-14 more seasons..and at 100 plus points a season. He and not Jager would be the #2 scorer in history. (again, I making some assumptions that may be overly favorable)

It's probably my age showing, we do become more conservative as we age.. Let's hope he plays, plays well and nothing becomes of it and that 20 years from now, he retires wealthy beyond belief and all of this is forgotten.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
This power to pressure that you speak of does not exist.

Only if he signed a 4 year ELC...which I don't believe exists.

Incidentally I question this decision too. But then to come on to here and read these humorous takes is another matter altogether...

Players can make up to 3.75M a year on ELC(with bonuses) so technically he could make over 11M.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Not smart but I guess hockey Canada doesn't give a shit. Dude was rolling around like he got sniped now he's good to go?

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
My final thought on Lafreniere is this; if he truly is still injured, then yes, he should sit out. However, they’ve thoroughly checked it out and he seems fine... and even looks great. No limp and agile as ever on the ice. If a guy is hurting, you can tell. You can actually SEE it. I think he’s good to go and I’m looking forward to seeing him do what he does on the ice. Slovakia, on the other hand, is much less pleased about this turn of events. :laugh:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
They checked with 4 doctors and this wasn't a Hockey Canada call. Like his agent put a statement out literally two days ago explaining what they were doing....yet still posts like this.
Well then I guess he's the biggest diver, p***y, embellisher of all time because it looked like a long term injury in every type of way the leg, the reaction.

Reactions: kris

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I hope that I am not being overly combative. I will before hand apologize if my tone is aggressive. But please read the initial reply about who Nick Bosa is...if you follow the NFL, no one questions his resolve..and he will end his career a multi-millionaire...Tua may end up a footnote in history.

You guys are probably way too young to remember. But Bobby Orr played in the 1976 Canada cup..on one knee. It ended his career.. at 26 and with hockey just about to boom financially. Orr was broke by 1980. He could have still played until 1984, maybe 1990 (although he had really bad knees and so, probably not)..thus potentially 8-14 more seasons..and at 100 plus points a season. He and not Jager would be the #2 scorer in history. (again, I making some assumptions that may be overly favorable)

It's probably my age showing, we do become more conservative as we age.. Let's hope he plays, plays well and nothing becomes of it and that 20 years from now, he retires wealthy beyond belief and all of this is forgotten.

The 1976 Canada Cup didn't end Orr's career. He was basically done regardless but he wanted a chance to play internationally after he missed 1972. In Lefreniere's case, I don't think that anyone would blame him for sitting out the remainder of the tournament. I expected him to. But if he feels good and the reports are good according to multiple reliable medical sources, it makes sense to play.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Well then I guess he's the biggest diver, *****, embellisher of all time because it looked like a long term injury in every type of way the leg, the reaction.
There's no reason to assume he wasn't in pain at the time and fine to play now. Your opinion does you no credit.

Reactions: Oryxo

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Well that's good to hear. I don't really follow prospects like a lot of this board does but it's obvious he's been the unaminous number one overall for 2020 for a year now (I guess that's been somewhat challenged lately?) so it's good that there was no long-term damage done.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
When he got injured he was rolling around like he got shot.

Now he's ready to play 3 days later?

Something doesn't add up

Agreed. Some miracle recovery indeed.

Player couldnt support his foot and he plays 3 days later? Wow.

Well then I guess he's the biggest diver, *****, embellisher of all time because it looked like a long term injury in every type of way the leg, the reaction.

You guys do know that there's a wide spectrum of injuries between "shake it off on the bench" and season-ending, right? Especially for a guy that already had ankle issues this season.

I doubt they kept him out of the lineup for 2.5 games just for fun.

Reactions: Oryxo

1967th Heaven

Aug 31, 2012
Diagnosing player injuries based on the player's initial reaction >> opinions of 3 separate medical professionals... yikes.

In reality, it seems like they were actually EXTRA cautious and not careless like some were making out. Anything with legs/knees is scary. Laf twisted it funny, got cleared by TC, obviously feels/felt fine, but then just to be absolutley sure they got second and third opinions (smart and diligent).

Given the information that we have, I have no issues with how this was handled.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
You guys do know that there's a wide spectrum of injuries between "shake it off on the bench" and season-ending, right? Especially for a guy that already had ankle issues this season.

I doubt they kept him out of the lineup for 2.5 games just for fun.
He was apparently just trying to draw a penalty and kept up the act for 3 days to save face. /s

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada

Alright Mr. ‘Tough Guy’, not every injury is either they’re paralyzed for the rest of their life or they can walk it off. Like @SympathyForTheDevils said, there’s a spectrum and his injury happened to fall on the placement of it hurt in that exact moment in time but with rest and caution he should be fine to play again.

Also how is he a diver or how he did embellish anything? His knee got stuck in the goalies pad, he wasn’t tripped, cross-checked or hooked. Why would he embellish or dive on a play where there’s no penalty for what the goalie did?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Presumably the MRI showed no structural damage. Makes me think he tore some scar tissue or possibly pinched a meniscus but no tearing. Can hurt like **** but little lasting affects.

Ad

Ad

Ad