Seravalli: NHL Back to AZ Within 5yrs ?!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I swear, if they get a team back before Atlanta…

But 10-15 years wouldn’t surprise me.
Was there any basis for that statement? Aside from the comment from Ishiba who mentioned he'd like to bring NHL to AZ? Because the Footprint arena has the same sightline issues they had back when the Coyotes played there. Unless that auction land is going to be the future home of the Suns/Coyotes and the city of PHX wants to get that going in short order. But, PHX also dealing with the DBacks stadium as well.

I think closer to a decade is more realistic. City isn't in a rush to throw more money into a sporting complex after dropping like $150 mill on Footprint around covid time. Have a runway with the Suns lease to 2037.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Was there any basis for that statement? Aside from the comment from Ishiba who mentioned he'd like to bring NHL to AZ? Because the Footprint arena has the same sightline issues they had back when the Coyotes played there. Unless that auction land is going to be the future home of the Suns/Coyotes and the city of PHX wants to get that going in short order. But, PHX also dealing with the DBacks stadium as well.

I think closer to a decade is more realistic. City isn't in a rush to throw more money into a sporting complex after dropping like $150 mill on Footprint around covid time. Have a runway with the Suns lease to 2037.

I think a cooling off period would likely do them a lot of good, especially with the taxpayers that will likely need to vote yes at some point.

Reactions: TheLegend

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
has the last owner given up his rights to the logo etc, if its the same owner then absolutely not. If its someone new and they get a proper arena then it could work

Reactions: DaveG

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Pipe dream really.

I really don't think anyone is going to put up billions for a third arena in the area, not to mention for an expansion team.

has the last owner given up his rights to the logo etc, if its the same owner then absolutely not. If its someone new and they get a proper arena then it could work

NHL holds the rights.

Reactions: DaveG

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
If they're serious about expanding to Houston and Atlanta (and by all accounts they are). then they need two more cities. to balance the Conferences/divisions. 17 teams each in the Eastern/Western conferences doesn't really work for nice clean divisions. If on the the other hand you add four teams, you'd have 18 in each conference and could do two divisions of nine teams each or three divisions of six (which, actually, I kind of like).

And with a four team expansion, yes a return to Arizona makes complete sense. I hope for Arizona's sake they get a management team that actually knows what they're doing this time.

Atlanta (East)
Houston (West)
Arizona (West)

Real question is, who would be the 4th team? Should be a team that would slot naturally into the Eastern conference. Another western team would push Chicago or Nashville east and result in them being the only team in that conference not in the Eastern Time zone -- something which they would really hate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad