September 26, 1995 - The Garden's last hockey game

PetePeeters

Feb 27, 2002
Near river Rhine
Visit site
I came over from good old Germany back in 1994 to see two Bruins Games at the old Garden against
the Rangers and Flyers.Awesome athmosphere and the building had a unique look.
Nowadays nearly every building looks the same-boring.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
I miss all the old barns and truly appreciate them for what they were. Miss the Garden and old Chicago stadium and Maple Leaf gardens and the Forum. Sad seeing them all replaced. Yes the new rinks are spiffy and full of cool high tech gadgetry but they seriously do not have the same auraor atmosphere as all the old places.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Only Bruins player of that era to have a TV show - Had to be Turk.

Derek Sanderson show: The Bruins were hot and I was still a prominent member of the team, so WSBK-TV channel 38 in Boston offered me my own TV show. Everybody's Takin At Me: The Derek Sanderson Show debuted on October 17. It was a weekly half-hour show taped in front of a live audience and it aired on Saturdays at six o'clock' I hand a lot of high-profile guests on the show. Ricky Nelson was on the show and I gave Linda Ronstadt her first television appearance. She and The Stone Poneys performed their hit song "Different Drum" Linda was very pretty and beautiful and has a mouth like a sailor.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/f18/derek-sanderson-truth-lies-facts-194899/

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
She can't sing anymore. That's sad.

"In a 2011 interview with the Arizona Daily Star she said, "I am 100 percent retired and I'm not doing anything any more". It was announced publicly in August 2013 that Ronstadt had been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in December 2012, which left her unable to sing.

Her autobiography, Simple Dreams: A Musical Memoir, was released in September 2013. It debuted in the Top 10 on The New York Times Best Sellers List.

Ronstadt was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April 2014. On July 28, 2014, she was awarded one of the twelve 2013 National Medals of Arts and Humanities."

Linda missed her induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame....It is a shame.

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills
I was very young (5 years) when this happened, but my dad cut out this article (The House That Orr Gilt) from the globe and framed it and put it on my wall at the time. I asked him was 'gilt' meant, and he answered 'he made it special'. I didn't really understand until I was able to watch highlights when I was much older, and in reality, I probably never will understand. The memory is a bit hazy (since the article is actually from May- probably in anticipation of the Garden's destruction) but for the many years I had it on my wall I always associated it with the old "garden". I also spent a lot of time wondering why they called it a garden if it didn't have any flowers.

BackBringCam

Nov 14, 2005
Kemptville
Was at that game met Cherry, Cheevers, Jonathon, Nifty, Doak, Vadanais, Rocket Richard and got to heckle the Habs when they got off their bus

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I was at game - loge 7 row 1 seats 9 & 10 got all the stuff here including program from game

Feels like yesterday

The Bruins 2011 Cup seems longer ago to me than the last game and I'm not kidding

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was at game - loge 7 row 1 seats 9 & 10 got all the stuff here including program from game

Feels like yesterday

The Bruins 2011 Cup seems longer ago to me than the last game and I'm not kidding

I understand that completely. That was actually a nice goodie bag the Bruins put together. The program having the wrong date is a mystery - Heidi Holland has told people for 20 years the proof that was sent to the printer was correct.

Heidi today is the director of publications and team historian.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I turned 30 a couple of weeks back and remember seeing a handful of games at the old building.

I couldn't appreciate it at the time. I thought the place was a dump.

I remember watching the "Last Hurrah" in a hospital waiting room as my mom was sick at the time.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I turned 30 a couple of weeks back and remember seeing a handful of games at the old building.

I couldn't appreciate it at the time. I thought the place was a dump.

I remember watching the "Last Hurrah" in a hospital waiting room as my mom was sick at the time.

three things about the old garden

1. The dark tunnel upstairs
2. Climbing the ladder to get up where scouts sat on side of team benched and towards the net defended twice
3. The corner seats near heaven under way way way up

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I went to a few games when I was a kid. My dad was a cheapo and refused to get us tickets.

My biggest memories are going to the garden monthly to watch the WWF with my buddies.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I went to a game against the Sabers that I have no memory of. Apparently Neely got into three fights and was thrown out.

I vaguely remember a game against the Flyers where they died. Tommy Soderstrom was in net. My dad took me to some type of netted area where the players were coming off the ice and the fans were letting them have it with boos.

I also remember a game against Montreal where Roy tripped a Bruin and the fans were on him the rest of the game.

Adam Oates gave me a practice puck during warmups.

I also seem to remember that during the lockout season, the tickets were sort of funny because they'd have the original opponent for whatever number home game listed. So if game 3 was supposed to be against Buffalo, but they ended up playing Ottawa, the Buffalo name was crossed out. Maybe it was just the agency that my dad got the tickets from that did this.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I was there, Section 98 Row H Seat 3. The guest list was quite impressive. During halftime, non-Bruins hockey greats were introduced, including Rocket Richard, Jean Beliveau, Stan Mikita, Johnny Bower, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTIgE__PRfw&index=8&list=PL4516BEAC502CE0DA

Speaking of the Nordiques, I was at the Tugnutt game, also never to be forgotten. He saves his best for last(1:30 mark of the clip).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EHJ99HSVhM

I was talking about the Tugnett game the other night when walking to the game with my daughter BF telling him my best memory of that game was sitting their dreading it ending and going out into a snow storm.

If you remember it was a horrible night and the snow was up to my thighs. I remember Sakic was on that team and was very young and they were loaded with guys like Mike Hough and Randy Moeller is my guess

The Bruins I think actually tied it relatively late

btw- what were the Nordiques thinking when they traded Sundin for Wendell Clark. Had they kept Sundin they would have won 5 Cups or more

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I never got to see the old garden in person. My first Bruins game I went too was whe. I was 10 years old, January 13th 2001.
Bruins beat the Rangers 3-0 (iirc) and I remember the game ending with a loud chant of "New York sucks"

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I went to a few games when I was a kid. My dad was a cheapo and refused to get us tickets.

My biggest memories are going to the garden monthly to watch the WWF with my buddies.

Ha, yeah mine was too. My dad only took me to two Bruins games but luckily for me the company he worked for had season tickets to the pats 9 rows behind Belichick so I did get to see tens of Pats games during the 2000's.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I was talking about the Tugnett game the other night when walking to the game with my daughter BF telling him my best memory of that game was sitting their dreading it ending and going out into a snow storm.

If you remember it was a horrible night and the snow was up to my thighs. I remember Sakic was on that team and was very young and they were loaded with guys like Mike Hough and Randy Moeller is my guess

The Bruins I think actually tied it relatively late

btw- what were the Nordiques thinking when they traded Sundin for Wendell Clark. Had they kept Sundin they would have won 5 Cups or more

Before the big trade to Quebec, Clark was coming off a career season in Toronto, scoring 46 goals in just 64 games playing on a line with Doug Gilmour and Dave Andreychuk.

The trade was engineered by Leafs GM Cliff Fletcher and Nordiques GM Pierre Lacroix. Fletcher traded Clark when his value was the highest. Lacroix was at a disadvantage because Sundin was trying to renegotiate his contract. A former player agent, Lacroix said in his former career he never asked to renegotiate a client’s contract and wanted no part of Sundin’s request for more money

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
http://ballparks.phanfare.com/slideshow.aspx?s=0&username=ballparks&a_id=2413998
Grab a beer, sit back and relax.

Saw my first NHL game there in March 1991....
http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/199103020BOS.html

I was 14 and my bantam team went down to play a few teams in the area. We had front row seats on the balcony, near center ice and you could hear basically everything down there. It left a lasting impression on me. I've been to the Shawmut/fleet/banknorth/td garden and there is no comparison, imo.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
http://ballparks.phanfare.com/slideshow.aspx?s=0&username=ballparks&a_id=2413998
Grab a beer, sit back and relax.

Saw my first NHL game there in March 1991....
http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/199103020BOS.html

I was 14 and my bantam team went down to play a few teams in the area. We had front row seats on the balcony, near center ice and you could hear basically everything down there. It left a lasting impression on me. I've been to the Shawmut/fleet/banknorth/td garden and there is no comparison, imo.

Great slideshow some guy is rocking a 'Roy Swallows' t shirt!!!

Only made it twice. REmember in 94 and 95 begging for a couple last games but being far too young to go alone and I only went twice when I was younger. Still remember my first view of the ice. And got to sit in awesome seats on the blue line once and bad ones behind a pole under the overhang. Lots of people my age never went though so Im lucky Im 30 but never made it up to the balcony.

Black and Gold 84

Sep 16, 2015
One of the biggest regrets of my life is that I never made it to the Old Garden. I'm 31 and had parents who could care less about sports or hockey when I was growing up. Would've been nice to go as a kid.. as high school kid or grown up.. There would've been trouble i'm sure.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Went to my first game when I was 4 or 5. Don't remember much, but Orr got a hat trick against Chicago, so I guess I could narrow it down. Many more over the years, including the absolute best: When I was fourteen, my father had me take my brother, who was 8, on the T to see the Bobby Orr number retirement. We sat right next to the Russian bench (it was an exhibition game) and the look on the Russian's faces was one of utter awe as 15,000+ screamed, yelled and clapped (most through a veil of tears) for what was then a Guinness World Record breaking standing ovation. It went on so long, they had to scrap most of the rest of the ceremony, and nobody cared. It was a night I'll never forget.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad