Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Johnny Oduya to a 1 year deal

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I actually really like this.

It's a bit like the Kelly signing, as Oduya probably doesn't have much left in the tank, but he could be decent in a 6th/7th D role, and this allows us to move Wideman or Borowiecki for a pick.

Great asset management from Dorion? :handclap:

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
The new trend in the nhl is blocking shots to help your goalie

Look at EK last year he took a beating blocking so many shots

Ottawa and Pitsburgh were both top 6 in nhl season and top 3 in playoffs in blocking shots last year

We need a lot of bodies to win a cup

Good cheap signing

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Where is this myth that Burrows is good defensively coming from? Is it just because he's Canadian and old (hint: yup)?

Burrows had the worst possession numbers of all our forwards last season and when he was paired with Brassard who had amazing numbers in that category brought him below a 50 CF%. He's a total liability on the ice and bring absolutely nothing to the game. No physicality, no offense, no more agitating, can't play special teams. 2.5M for him to steal a job from a young player with upside. Just an awful player and an awful decision by management.

I don't dislike Oduya as much. I just hate that he represents a stolen spot from a young player with upside, of which we have a bunch on defense. The only way this team improves is from within via youth and it seems the club (especially Boucher) doesn't want to commit to that. I hate the general direction of this club and it breaks my heart.

Burrows has received Selke votes after 6 different seasons. Much like with Oduya his being on the team doesn't stop young players from developing. Did we have even one player who was in the AHL that was too good for that league? Nope. I don't see us having one this year either. If Thomas Chabot goes down to Belleville and scores at a 1.3 PPG pace while playing good defense I highly doubt that Johnny freakin' Oduya is going to stop the big club from calling him up.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Burrows has received Selke votes after 6 different seasons. Much like with Oduya his being on the team doesn't stop young players from developing. Did we have even one player who was in the AHL that was too good for that league? Nope. I don't see us having one this year either. If Thomas Chabot goes down to Belleville and scores at a 1.3 PPG pace while playing good defense I highly doubt that Johnny freakin' Oduya is going to stop the big club from calling him up.

I think Chabot starts on the bottom pair, maybe with Oduya if Claesson proves capable with Karlsson, otherwise with one of Claesson or Boro.

Claesson/Oduya-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Chabot-Claesson/Oduya/Boro

Wideman is who I see as the odd man out but this signing didn't affect that.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
This is depth and another cup winner to boot. As others have alluded to, don't think he's going to stop Chabot from earning a spot on the roster (or Harpur for that matter) so in the end this is a low-risk signing. If Ron freakin' Hainsey played a key role for the pittsburgh penguins, surely Johnny Oduya can help the sens.

Solid signing in my books. Ppl on here get too caught up with 'age' and **** like that. We're still in win-now mode so I like it. The season is a looong one, we're bound to have injuries.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
So it turns out this is a thread about Oduya signing. Maybe lay off talking about how much you dislike Burrows unless you can somehow link that to Oduya. Pretty sure they play different positions though, so it's going to be a stretch.

This post is Johnny on the spot.

Sensored

May 20, 2004
Ottawa
I'm very surprised by the signing because of the money we now have committed. If Oduya hits all of his bonuses we're at $72.45 million. I'd guess this means that we're going to trade salary out (Hammond + ?), or Eugene has invested more in the team because of the higher Canadian dollar?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I'm very surprised by the signing because of the money we now have committed. If Oduya hits all of his bonuses we're at $72.45 million. I'd guess this means that we're going to trade salary out (Hammond + ?), or Eugene has invested more in the team because of the higher Canadian dollar?

Maybe someone kidnapped the real Eugene and took on his identity?

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Where is this myth that Burrows is good defensively coming from? Is it just because he's Canadian and old (hint: yup)?

Burrows had the worst possession numbers of all our forwards last season and when he was paired with Brassard who had amazing numbers in that category brought him below a 50 CF%. He's a total liability on the ice and bring absolutely nothing to the game. No physicality, no offense, no more agitating, can't play special teams. 2.5M for him to steal a job from a young player with upside. Just an awful player and an awful decision by management.

I don't dislike Oduya as much. I just hate that he represents a stolen spot from a young player with upside, of which we have a bunch on defense. The only way this team improves is from within via youth and it seems the club (especially Boucher) doesn't want to commit to that. I hate the general direction of this club and it breaks my heart.

Burrows is solid defensively. He had the same CF% last season as Turris, and better than Pageau. It's hard to recall him being the culprit of a bad giveaway, a lazy back check, or losing his man in the defensive zone with Ottawa. He can kill penalties [as his did in the playoffs for Ottawa and for most of his career with Vancouver], he rarely turns the puck over, and it's clear that Boucher trusted him to effectively play his system. The team was hurt by his injury. He also offers more than nothing offensively- he scored 33 points last season, and 16 in 35 games with Ottawa. Plus, he's not afraid to drop his gloves/ stand up for his teammate when needed, and you'll see his agitating ways more over the course of a full season- just look up Burrows vs Lehner from last year. I'm sure this is all useless as your opinion on Burrows seems to be set in stone.
If Burrows is as bad as you make him out to be, he'll be out of the lineup sooner rather than later. Just as Boucher showed with Neil and Kelly, he isn't afraid to sit a veteran that doesn't have anything left in the tank. Same will apply with Oduya. These players aren't going to stop a young player from getting their chance. It'll force the young player to truly earn their spot, though, and I see nothing wrong with that.

Oduya was a good player in this league for a long time. I've heard people talk about how bad he was last year, but before that I recall he had a solid year, and of course there were many good years prior to that with Chicago. People also said Seidenberg had nothing left yet he proved to be a very nice, cheap signing for NYI last season.

As far as our d-men go, Boucher has used 7 at times so I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen at times this year, too.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Low risk signing imo.

Could also trade him at the deadline if the Sens are nowhere close to a playoff spot.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Im a huge fan of Oduya.

As steady and reliable as they come and has the wheels to keep up with the game.

Love this signing A LOT. Oduya will be the best player we've had in our bottom pairing since Corvo. We now have a reliable veteran defender in every pairing: Karlsson, Phaneuf and Oduya. I also believe Oduya has the skills to fill in top 4 if needed and could maybe even play with Karlsson.

If we sign Jagr or make a similarly good acquisition in our top 6 we will be set for another solid run next year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Keep Chabot up; Push Boro to 7th; Harpur in Belleville... I like Harpur I hope he makes that decision hard for them.

Move Wideman

Oduya, Karlsson
Chabot, Phaneuf
Claesson, Ceci
Boro

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

Keep Chabot up; Push Boro to 7th; Harpur in Belleville... I like Harpur I hope he makes that decision hard for them.

Move Wideman

Oduya, Karlsson
Chabot, Phaneuf
Claesson, Ceci
Boro

Wouldn't be surprised if this signing was in the works for weeks and the only reason why it took so long was because Dorion needed to first see how much money both Pageau and Dzingle got.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If Oduya has a bit of a bounceback season, this could be the best bargain signing of the off-season. I could 100% see Oduya playing with EK should EK not have a reliable parter. If Oduya is a 15-20 point solid defensive guy witohut EK he could push 25+ with him.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Im a huge fan of Oduya.

As steady and reliable as they come and has the wheels to keep up with the game.

Love this signing A LOT. Oduya will be the best player we've had in our bottom pairing since Corvo. We now have a reliable veteran defender in every pairing: Karlsson, Phaneuf and Oduya. I also believe Oduya has the skills to fill in top 4 if needed and could maybe even play with Karlsson.

If we sign Jagr or make a similarly good acquisition in our top 6 we will be set for another solid run next year.

I just don't see us signing Jagr.

He is after money more than anything else.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Really like this move from the team. Again it probably won't hurt Chabot. I like our defense a bit more with this signing.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
This is an absolutely great signing in my mind.

1. Oduya can play both sides. This gives us a lot of options.

2. It gives another veteran presence on the back end. A calming presence, a guy that has won a cup. Great for Chabot and Claesson.

Could we see a Dzingel/Smith + Wideman/Harpur for a forward type of trade?

Skrymir

Jul 7, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
If Oduya has a bit of a bounceback season, this could be the best bargain signing of the off-season. I could 100% see Oduya playing with EK should EK not have a reliable parter. If Oduya is a 15-20 point solid defensive guy witohut EK he could push 25+ with him.
I'd much rather see Oduya play mentor to Chabot TBH. We already know Claesson plays well with Karlsson so let's let that grow.

Claesson - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Chabot - Oduya

Wideman - Borowiecki (maybe move one but not essential)
Harpur (Bellville)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad