Post-Game Talk: Sens sign David Perron 2 years, 4M per

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
This signing is getting way too much flak.

Getting a veteran cup winner at that salary for only 2 years is nice considering this FA period was particularly silly. He's exactly what this team needs in the room and (almost) exactly what they need on the ice. His speed just isn't there anymore which is an issue for a roster that wasn't particularly fast before and lost it's speediest player. Other than that he checks a lot of boxes on this roster. The flexibility to play either wing and up and down the lineup will be a godsend for Travis Green and company. He's a guy you could play anywhere in the top-nine and he wouldn't look out of place. Also a legitimate upgrade on PP2 which is a bonus.

Personally, this one makes a lot more sense than the Amadio signing
I think the Amadio signing makes perfect sense as their Joseph replacement. A little bit cheaper with similar production and a good uptick in goal scoring for the 3rd line, while getting a type of player they want more in that role.

Reactions: Relapsing and LiseL

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Not sure Oloffson is coming in and helping change the culture.
I value the production and cap savings he'll bring over Perron's pp merchant skills and on board play. Being a dick isn't an automatic culture booster and I hate that its always equated with that.

Look at a guy like Tarasenko, he was great for the Panthers, not particularly because of his production, but because he was the right mentor for some guys on their roster. I'd rather we just bring someone like him back because I prefer players like Greig, Pinto, Ostapchuk, etc.. learning his habits instead of Perrons.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I value the production and cap savings he'll bring over Perron's pp merchant skills and on board play. Being a dick isn't an automatic culture booster and I hate that its always equated with that.

Look at a guy like Tarasenko, he was great for the Panthers, not particularly because of his production, but because he was the right mentor for some guys on their roster. I'd rather we just bring someone like him back because I prefer players like Greig, Pinto, Ostapchuk, etc.. learning his habits instead of Perrons.
Ironically, Steve brought the Zub/Perron incident up at the press conference and referenced it as a positive sign. Showed his passion in his opinion, or something to that effect.

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Longstanding relationship with Big Walt and Little Brady is a bonus.

This is a good article that touches on the relationship with Brady & Keith as well as the incident with Zub.

I was not too crazy aout this signing originally, but I am warming up to it.
Still concerns about his age at 36 but he is proven to be extremely consistent in terms of his production over the course of his career, including the last 5 years.

Will be interesting to see what the lines look like going forward but he seems to be that sparkplug type of player that will give energy to any line that he is playing on.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Perron is far from a dick, not sure where that comes from. From all accounts he’s a fantastic teammate.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I think the Amadio signing makes perfect sense as their Joseph replacement. A little bit cheaper with similar production and a good uptick in goal scoring for the 3rd line, while getting a type of player they want more in that role.
Amadio scored 2 less goals last year than Joseph scored in his entire career in Ottawa. I think he's an upgrade. It's a bonus that he comes in cheaper.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Amadio scored 2 less goals last year than Joseph scored in his entire career in Ottawa. I think he's an upgrade. It's a bonus that he comes in cheaper.
I agree completely. I think Amadio will be a more consistent player and bigger goal threat.

I posted in another thread that over the last 3 years, Joseph has paced under 10+ goals per 82, compared to Amadio being 17+. That's a pretty significant difference as a goal scoring threat.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
No person ever called Alfie a big body though. If you want to say he's a guy that plays bigger than he is, that's great. But, that tends to still come with some limitations. Giroux plays bigger than he is (or at least he used to back in his prime) but nobody called him a big body.

Sure but I think those posters meant it in the way of having a big body game.

Like they are able to leverage their size a lot more than most bigger guys.

The way these guys play is why everyone wants big bodies, they play how we want big bodies to play.

More of a figure of speech than to be taken literally.

And yea we need guys like Perron and Alfredsson who play a big body game and who leverage contact well.

Feels like we only have Brady, Sanderson and Zub who do that with skill and consistency.

Lots of big bodies don't actually play a big body game.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Again . More versatile. Plays C and both wings. Can move him around. More skill. I don't look at it as a Joseph replacement. They moved on from Jospeph ultimately like Kelly would have and Brannstrom as well .. would cost them more than they were willing to spend on them. In Joseph's case they paid to get rid of him... Its like calling 1-800-Got-Junk to get rid of a Bedroom Set you couldn't give away.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I agree completely. I think Amadio will be a more consistent player and bigger goal threat.

I posted in another thread that over the last 3 years, Joseph has paced under 10+ goals per 82, compared to Amadio being 17+. That's a pretty significant difference as a goal scoring threat.
It will make a massive difference towards whether we win games. Finish is important. Some games will be close and Amadio can be the difference maker, much more so than Joseph was. Same goes for Perron.

Last edited:

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
At 5:46 in this video you can see a picture of Matthew and Brady Tkachuk as kids hanging out with Perron.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
This signing is getting way too much flak.

Getting a veteran cup winner at that salary for only 2 years is nice considering this FA period was particularly silly. He's exactly what this team needs in the room and (almost) exactly what they need on the ice. His speed just isn't there anymore which is an issue for a roster that wasn't particularly fast before and lost it's speediest player. Other than that he checks a lot of boxes on this roster. The flexibility to play either wing and up and down the lineup will be a godsend for Travis Green and company. He's a guy you could play anywhere in the top-nine and he wouldn't look out of place. Also a legitimate upgrade on PP2 which is a bonus.

Personally, this one makes a lot more sense than the Amadio signing

It would be nice if the $$$$$ was lower, but that's what happens in the free agent frenzy.

I think it's also the fact we've been burned with these free agent vets a few times, where their game drops like a rock as soon as they get here. I can see why a few folks here would be nervous.

But I think we're at the point where Staios is better at evaluating all that than Dorion. I do expect father time to affect Perron, but it'll be a more gradual decline, not falling off a cliff. Overall a good signing.

Reactions: LiseL

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Slow ass skating aside, I think his type of precense is needed. Like a bottom-six verison of Giroux to help guys like Greig and Pinto, and guys pushing for spots like Crookshank.
If his skating is so bad that he just doesn’t work here then the intangible won’t mean much. Especially at that crazy price tag

Reactions: SENStastic

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
i liked perron a few years ago he is a guy who will go around the net and plays with a bit of a edge. his skating was never that good and he seems to have lost a step that would worry me. if he is good around the net and plays with an edge still that can help

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Pretty hard not to like this signing after todays interviews.

He basically has the perfect attitude for a vet (called himself an extension of the coaching staff). Not going to complain about whatever role hes asked to play and just work harder than everyone. And he and the Tkachuks are very tight - and supporting Brady with leading the team is exactly what he intends to do.

If hes good for 40-50pts in the first year, and say 30-40pts in the second, this is could be a homerun of a signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad